Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2020 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
11 hours ago, Daniel* said:

There’s not a summer you don’t get uncomfortable nights in London while July, 2019 was less warm than 2018 the nights were more unpleasant. Which is interesting as Heathrow stats suggest 2018 the nights were warmer, average min 16.4c (2018) vs 15c (2019) perhaps may have owed to more humidity.

Late summer is nearly always muggy in London even into September, June is my favourite summer month. I don’t like it particularly warm, all I want is the sunshine. 

July 2019 was still warm in London though, with an average high of 25.5c.  August remained warm with a 25.2c average high (warmer than any August since 2003).

• Like 1

Posted

I’ll be happy when the temps return to the 23c to 27c bracket. Hot enough to enjoy.

I have cold hands, and they still felt cold during April and this past week my hands were freezing. 

Glad to see 25-26c in London next week, finally! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

One of the driest and sunniest springs I can ever remember, sods law.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

One of the driest and sunniest springs I can ever remember, sods law.

Indeed, it’s been a great spring. Even during the cooler few days recently it was still fairly sunny and completely dry. No surprise that the park near me is rammed. A grand total of 2mm so far this month.

Temperatures recovered to normal on Thursday. 16C today which is normal for mid May. Could be 25C by Wednesday. I expect a warmer than average month again, though not as anomalous as April.

Edited by cheese

Posted
28 minutes ago, cheese said:

Indeed, it’s been a great spring. Even during the cooler few days recently it was still fairly sunny and completely dry. No surprise that the park near me is rammed. A grand total of 2mm so far this month.

Temperatures recovered to normal on Thursday. 16C today which is normal for mid May. Could be 25C by Wednesday. I expect a warmer than average month again, though not as anomalous as April.

This Spring will despite the mostly excellent weather be tarnished by the ongoing situation - in any other year it will be remembered for the great weather, but this year not so. We have been very very fortunate how the weather has panned out since Mid March, couldn't have asked for anything more really. Certainly the weather has been the last thing people have been unhappy about and that is very rare.

Also uncanny timing the slight relaxation in the restriction in England has coincided with a subtle shift to more mixed conditions - nothing significantly poor, just perhaps a bit less stable than during the mid March - mid May period.

Posted
Just now, damianslaw said:

This Spring will despite the mostly excellent weather be tarnished by the ongoing situation - in any other year it will be remembered for the great weather, but this year not so. We have been very very fortunate how the weather has panned out since Mid March, couldn't have asked for anything more really. Certainly the weather has been the last thing people have been unhappy about and that is very rare.

Also uncanny timing the slight relaxation in the restriction in England has coincided with a subtle shift to more mixed conditions - nothing significantly poor, just perhaps a bit less stable than during the mid March - mid May period.

Its almost as if subject to the 'plan' for easing restrictions comes to fruition as suggested, then bit by bit the dial will be turned to more unsettled conditions winning out..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

We certainly need the rain now, res levels have dropped markedly, last thing we need now is a drought.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!
On 16/05/2020 at 19:42, markyo said:

We certainly need the rain now, res levels have dropped markedly, last thing we need now is a drought.

I don't think we're anywhere near such situation yet, we've just had a few months of below average rainfall - yes okay if it continues for another few months it can be worrying but I don't think we're crying out in desperation for rain

Posted
On 16/05/2020 at 18:32, damianslaw said:

I think the current ongoing situation is one we are going to remember for the rest of our days no doubt....but within the memories I think will be attached this Spring's weather as so often memories do with the weather. Certainly this is the best Spring I have ever experienced since l moved here in 1997. All 3 months have held up exceptionally well where as many other years one of the 3 months has stood out as good but one of the others has let it down (see 2018, 2012, 2008, 2007, 2003, 1998 as examples).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
7 hours ago, StretfordEnd1996 said:

I don't think we're anywhere near such situation yet, we've just had a few months of below average rainfall - yes okay if it continues for another few months it can be worrying but I don't think we're crying out in desperation for rain

The lowest reservoir in the whole country is at 70%.....most are still above 90%. They are fine. Rivers are low, and obviously farmers and growers would like some rain....but after the winter it’s hardly disaster stations. We’re not in California or Australia are we. It’s just been a bit dry. You can always rely on some rain eventually turning up in the UK.

Edited by mb018538
  • Like 2

Posted

Drought rampers out in force I see knowing full well we live in the UK and it will rain for months on end at some point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
24 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Drought rampers out in force I see knowing full well we live in the UK and it will rain for months on end at some point.

Here here.

I’m loving the dry weather and don’t miss the rain one bit. We had too much of that horrid stuff between October and mid March. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
54 minutes ago, Azazel said:

It rained for months on end from September 2019 to February 2020. Summer 2019 was wet as well (apart from August - which even then wasn't especially dry). It is about time we had a spell of drier conditions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

wait for lockdown easing, rain will be here worse than ever to balance out lockdown dry spell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
8 hours ago, StretfordEnd1996 said:

Indeed! Went for a wander around a local reservoir and the level was only just below the overflow level - the highest I’ve ever seen it. 

Itll take a long time to get low from the six month monsoon we had until March lol.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

The Aug-Dec stretch alone is enough to prevent real concerns this year coming at the optimum time of year.

Posted

Things come in cycles. We’ve had the rain, now the dryness, maybe followed by a cooler summer with average periods and the odd hot spell, which will lead to a dry autumn and a very cold blocked winter.

Posted

Spring droughts come courtesy of autumn-winter droughts, this year as others have said we have come on the back of an exceptionally wet 6 month period. However, should the dry conditions continue through the summer then we could slip into drought territory, in some places, but would need sustained heat as well. I doubt this will happen. Spring-summer 95 good example of how sustained dry weather coupled with heat in high summer combined to produce significant drought conditions in August, on the back of a very wet autumn and winter, so it can happen.

Some signals - ENSO, SST state and increased chance of tropical storm activity this year - (just signals), suggest less chance of a sustained dry summer, though it may begin fairly dry.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

I can't remember an April and May like this one. My 3 water butts are almost empty. Temps into the 20s for most of the next 2 weeks in the London area. Has there ever been a warmer spring than this one is modelled to be?

Posted
10 minutes ago, BlueSkies_do_I_see said:

I can't remember an April and May like this one. My 3 water butts are almost empty. Temps into the 20s for most of the next 2 weeks in the London area. Has there ever been a warmer spring than this one is modelled to be?

Yes certainly looks like ending up one of the warmest Springs on record, on the back of one of the mildest winters on record. Not sure how we are fairing on the CET mean for Spring.

Posted

I’m not sure it’s the mildest on record. It hasn’t been that warm all the time. I’ve recorded a number of chilly days, even during the sunny periods. 

London had plenty of days in the mid to high teens, and cold east or northerly winds in recent times. 

Its been a very sunny spring, but not overly warm. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
13 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I’m not sure it’s the mildest on record. It hasn’t been that warm all the time. I’ve recorded a number of chilly days, even during the sunny periods. 

London had plenty of days in the mid to high teens, and cold east or northerly winds in recent times. 

Its been a very sunny spring, but not overly warm. 

Not overly warm? April was the sunniest on record and 5th warmest on record, May is likely to be in and around the top 20, and up there again for sunshine and no rain. Ok - March was around average, mainly because of low minima with high pressure second half of the month.....but 10/12 weeks have been grand ☀️ 

Posted
7 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Not overly warm? April was the sunniest on record and 5th warmest on record, May is likely to be in and around the top 20, and up there again for sunshine and no rain. Ok - March was around average, mainly because of low minima with high pressure second half of the month.....but 10/12 weeks have been grand ☀️ 

I’m not knocking the weather, as it’s been lovely and sunny. But, it hasn’t been consistently warm every day. I’ve worn winter jackets up until recently, while also having days where I’ve walked around in a light jacket or just a t shirt. It’s been a transitional period, with gradual warming, but still a cool feel to things in the mornings and evenings.

I’m surprised we haven’t had many warm nights given the fact we’ve had quite a few sunny days. The warm nights and humidity will most likely start kicking in from this week. Usually when daytime highs reach or surpass 26-27c, you notice a real change in the air, and nights remain warm.

Long rant over lol.

Edited by Sunny76