Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2020 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
6 hours ago, weathermadbarnsleylad said:

Exactly mate spot on. Dreading next weeks unsettled spell but it's how it is now. Pressure rising later on gfs 6z. In the mean time enjoy the last of the sun. Yes praying for rain is defo not my nature. 

Met office forecast is for a very mixed May. Yes we have been blessed with weeks of fine weather since the lockdown - preety spoilt, normal service resumed next week, but will come as a major shock for many.. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I for one am looking forward to a change in the weather. I find that any weather type regardless on what it is, becomes boring after a while if it is constant. It would be nice If our weather was actually in line with the seasons and we had a balanced mix of warm sunny days with wet, cool and cloudy ones. All weather types are beautiful in their own ways, so it is nice to experience a little bit of everything. ☀️?️?️

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing fog heatwave thunderstorm
3 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Met office forecast is for a very mixed May. Yes we have been blessed with weeks of fine weather since the lockdown - preety spoilt, normal service resumed next week, but will come as a major shock for many.. 

Met office change from week to week. So I don't take really take it 100% but sometimes it's spot on. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Well we managed to avoid all the showers (so far) today... good. it's the poo-poo frontal rain and cold rubbish I hate the most though, as it'll be sure to cover a wide area and we'll ruin our dry streak this April. It sure would'a been something to have recorded a proper dry month with just 2mm of rain (up to today) but that'll get blighted in the last few days sadly. Oh well the record will have to wait again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Shame summery spell over, closest I'll get to seeing snow, really looks like it's snowing here, blossom coming off tree

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
On 24/04/2020 at 15:44, Scorcher said:

No stop trying to play this month down- other than 2007 and 2011 nothing compares in terms of the combination of sunshine and warmth. It's not about months 'having days like this' as yes in an average April you will get the odd nice day. What makes this month exceptional is the sheer number of days above 18C with sunshine- I certainly can't remember an April like this, 2007 and 2011 aside.

Exactly, it is also the amount of sunshine that is way above average. The coming week is going to knock the magnitude of the rainfall anomaly right down, but the last four weeks have been incredible for the time of year. It has felt like a cooler version of May and June 2018. In Horsham there has been one day last Saturday evening of heavy rain this month. To see how far from normal this month is, I will wait until HadCET, HadUKP have been updated then see where April 2020 ranks.

According to this Met Office timeseries (https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/pub/data/weather/uk/climate/datasets/Sunshine/date/UK.txt) April's with at least 200 hours of sunshine are rare, but there have been three in the last 15 years (2007, 2011, 2015). Prior to that, there have been only two since 1929 (1942 and 1984). Just because a random cluster makes something feel fairly common, doesn't mean it is. Perception is not fact.

I'll be glad for some rain this coming week. The heavy rain from a week ago Saturday mositened the soil on my allotment, but quickly dried out. Digging out the persistent perennial weeds is hard going on clay soil in a persistent dry spell, and replenishment of soil moisture will make this much easier.

Edited by al78
additional opinion
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
On 25/04/2020 at 12:18, B87 said:

London up to 204.5 sun hours as of yesterday. Good chance at a top 3 finish.

Heathrow's 10 sunniest Aprils:

1990: 245.0 hrs
1984: 230.5 hrs
2007: 224.6 hrs
2002: 220.5 hrs
1997: 218.5 hrs
2011: 218.0 hrs
2015: 212.1 hrs
1949: 211.0 hrs
1969: 207.6 hrs
2010: 201.7 hrs

2020 up to 26 April: 227.6 hours, into 3rd place!

Posted
4 hours ago, B87 said:

2020 up to 26 April: 227.6 hours, into 3rd 

218 hours up to the 25th in Manchester I believe. Yesterday isn't showing yet but wasn't overly sunny. Today has turned out fairly sunny so will certainly boost that figure further.

Posted
3 hours ago, Scorcher said:

218 hours up to the 25th in Manchester I believe. Yesterday isn't showing yet but wasn't overly sunny. Today has turned out fairly sunny so will certainly boost that figure further.

Do you have a list of your 10 sunniest Aprils? 

Posted
48 minutes ago, B87 said:

Do you have a list of your 10 sunniest Aprils? 

I don't unfortunately but Weather history may do- this has got to be up there surely.

Posted

1984, 1987, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2009, 2002,  2017, 2020, and 1980 maybe?

Those are all the years where the Aprils were sunny. But, I’m not suggesting they are the top 10.

Posted

2009,2011,2007,2017 all had sunnny aprils and average-ish summers

Not pleasant weather here today, albeit a change from sunny and dry. Rain, heavy at times, tempreature has failed to reach anything above 8C, making this the joint coldest day of April for my area along with the first, and I think the second day where tempreatures have not made it into double figures.

Posted
29 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

Not pleasant weather here today, albeit a change from sunny and dry. Rain, heavy at times, tempreature has failed to reach anything above 8C, making this the joint coldest day of April for my area along with the first, and I think the second day where tempreatures have not made it into double figures.

Don’t worry, the coldies won’t notice any cold days that happen.

Even if we get a cold May, with a hot spell at the end, they will only focus on the warmer weather. 

Posted
1 hour ago, qwertyK said:

2007 and 2011 didn't have average-ish summers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

April was fantastic! Sunniest ever and third driest on record. (Scotland)

FFF9B304-5C76-43C4-AA8A-0D1718CA1E66.thumb.png.7fcdc120de8ed287d435da3b6332369a.png052C0914-C63E-4775-BFF9-DE80331CAA0B.thumb.png.aa38c68960c60a852040ee9b0ccf66b1.png

_112082468_whatsubject.jpg
WWW.GOOGLE.CO.UK

Provisional Met Office figures also suggest it was the third driest on record for Scotland.

Two favourite pictures I have taken during April.

57AF277B-1D4B-47F3-8E99-357D4BAE3EAB.thumb.jpeg.cdacec9b699b9aadd8bfcc34aa0ba585.jpeg247446E7-2850-4D8A-976D-459AF46D4DF7.thumb.jpeg.3540c1182b1198f769e23217db5e74fb.jpeg

May has got off to a similar start. (Sunset yesterday)

E4CD923F-BB09-4ED5-A3B4-89584C8719C2.thumb.jpeg.1ca65a5ce69232b7384778cbd342f177.jpeg

Nice today and remains the same for the next five to seven days - Spring has been great so far! (Pleasant/warm days and cold/chilly nights)

5A6D8D70-B54D-4658-AC81-2A6B72D34E3A.thumb.png.6e76707f800aba3fd7c1fc79804dbf57.png

All the best everyone. 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 6

Posted
10 hours ago, Mr Frost said:

FFF9B304-5C76-43C4-AA8A-0D1718CA1E66.thumb.png.7fcdc120de8ed287d435da3b6332369a.png052C0914-C63E-4775-BFF9-DE80331CAA0B.thumb.png.aa38c68960c60a852040ee9b0ccf66b1.png

Interestingly, where I live was the wettest part of the country in April!  That all came about in the final week though and was otherwise a very pleasant month indeed.

• Like 1

Posted
On 02/05/2020 at 11:49, Mr Frost said:

That slow moving low and horrible full day of rain and November-like temperatures last Tuesday really bumped up the rainfall over central Southern England. Not surprised it ended up closer to average near me, that was the start of four consecutive wet days.

Edited by al78
  • Like 1

Posted

Given how dry, warm and sunny April was in Scotland, coupled with the mild winter, will this mean less snow on the higher mountains in late Spring/early summer? I remember in 2017 there was barely a patch of snow even in the big corries of Braeriach where the semi-permanent patches can be found, but that was due to a lack of winter snow.

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, al78 said:

Given how dry, warm and sunny April was in Scotland, coupled with the mild winter, will this mean less snow on the higher mountains in late Spring/early summer? I remember in 2017 there was barely a patch of snow even in the big corries of Braeriach where the semi-permanent patches can be found, but that was due to a lack of winter snow.

Given the clear skies in April produced a frost most nights even at our level following one of the snowiest and windiest Februarys on the mountains especially the western ones there will be large areas of snow still left on the mountains well into the summer.

_112093136_pictwo.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Six weeks of snow and sunshine lost to Scotland’s ski centres because of coronavirus.

A photo from a week ago  of Ben Wyvis across the Moray Firth from me from a bout a week ago.004.thumb.JPG.59cc4bc1df3fad427943b9db31de6160.JPG

There were even two big drifts visible on the Cawdor hills below 1500 feet on the 1st of May

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
9 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Given the clear skies in April produced a frost most nights even at our level following one of the snowiest and windiest Februarys on the mountains especially the western ones there will be large areas of snow still left on the mountains well into the summer.

_112093136_pictwo.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Six weeks of snow and sunshine lost to Scotland’s ski centres because of coronavirus.

A photo from a week ago  of Ben Wyvis across the Moray Firth from me from a bout a week ago.004.thumb.JPG.59cc4bc1df3fad427943b9db31de6160.JPG

There were even two big drifts visible on the Cawdor hills below 1500 feet on the 1st of May

Yes - February and March was very snowy especially in the West. (December and January was awful)

_111130127_glencoe.jpg
WWW.GOOGLE.CO.UK

Operators of Glencoe Mountain say lifts and huts have been partially buried.

Perfect conditions for the last six weeks and still looks great today.

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 3

Posted

I think serious consideration should now be given as to whether 'plume' should be put in the swear filter to join other NW worthies such as undercut, trigger shortwaves (and all the variations on trigger), Greeny high, various weird advections, and many others that I'm too exhausted to list 8)

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted

Going to be a rollercoaster this week in much of the south and east. Low 20s towards the end of this week, next week, tempreatures as low as 10C and 11C! 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, qwertyK said:

Going to be a rollercoaster this week in much of the south and east. Low 20s towards the end of this week, next week, tempreatures as low as 10C and 11C! 

Don’t worry, the coldies will still ignore anything chilly or below average for the time of year, and still tell us that May 2020 was a wonderful month.

• Like 1