Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2020 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
6 hours ago, Stabilo19 said:

I feel like London has had many warm days this month. I've been in shorts and t shirt 90% of the time and many locals have too, so not sure i'd describe past weather as chilly besides the odd day. Felt more like late May rather than early-mid April. 

I haven’t been wearing shorts. It’s not been warm enough for that. Only maybe 4 or 5 days would I consider shorts days.

Anything below 21c is too cold to wear shorts unless I’m cycling or jogging. 

• Like 1

Posted

This is not unusual. We’ve had warm spells in April before. 

It wouldn’t surprise me if we get colder days this coming June with daytime temps struggling to hit 17-19c.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
39 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

This is not unusual. We’ve had warm spells in April before. 

It wouldn’t surprise me if we get colder days this coming June with daytime temps struggling to hit 17-19c.

IMO this is not normal April weather - quite the opposite. 

Abnormally dry, abnormally warm and abnormally sunny! Possibly record breaking too..

Edited by Stabilo19
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Good. This weather is making up for the dire October with 150mm in my locale, the record wet November with 210mm in my locale, and the 2nd wettest February in my locale with 200mm of rain. I hope it stays dry, apart from the odd thunderstorm, until October. Unrealistic of course, as it will be pouring soon enough!

Edited by Thundershine
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

24.3c in Herstmonceux was the maximum temperature today

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I haven’t been wearing shorts. It’s not been warm enough for that. Only maybe 4 or 5 days would I consider shorts days.

Anything below 21c is too cold to wear shorts unless I’m cycling or jogging. 

You sound like my mum a snowwoman I’ve been wearing shorts all month even when it was 11C it was warm in sunshine in my sheltered garden.

It has been a warm month, the east breeze has been persistent but I’ve not found it remotely cold.

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, Stabilo19 said:

Abnormally dry, abnormally warm and abnormally sunny! Possibly record breaking too..

Not unusual my @ss this month has been super exceptional in London not known anything like it.

• Like 5

Posted
3 hours ago, Stabilo19 said:

2011 was warmer and I remember that April felt quite hot for a short while. That’s nearly 10 years ago, so let’s not over exaggerate with the whole ‘this is the record breaking hottest driest April day ever’ rubbish. 

I’m sick of the horrible damp weather we had to all endure back in January to mid March, and glad to see the back of it.

If it stays like this until September, I’ll be happy. Warm sunny weather lifts the mood. 

Edited by Sunny76
  • Like 3

Posted
29 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Not unusual my @ss this month has been super exceptional in London not known anything like it.

You are talking rubbish again. 

April 2017 had days like this, 1997, 2007, 1987, 1984, shall I go on? 

Posted
40 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

You sound like my mum a snowwoman I’ve been wearing shorts all month even when it was 11C it was warm in sunshine in my sheltered garden.

It has been a warm month, the east breeze has been persistent but I’ve not found it remotely cold.

I think that’s an ignorant statement to make. 11-12c in shorts sounds very odd.

I bet your one of those fools who’s sits in a beer garden when it’s barely scraping 10c and says to himself ‘ahhh this is lovely weather for a beer in the garden’, but when I’m lapping up the 25c to 28c, your moaning about how it’s too hot and can’t take the heat. 

i tend to have poor circulation in my hands, so naturally I feel colder, but I still enjoy the weather we’ve been having. Many people like myself haven’t been wearing shorts that often very recently, and certainly not all month lol. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
6 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

2011 and 2007 will end up warmer and drier than this April in London.

Heathrow has already recorded 17.6mm this month, so it is nowhere near being one of the driest.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Nothing this prolonged. When I read your posts it sounds like I’m on another planet to you. 

4 minutes ago, B87 said:

2011 and 2007 will end up warmer and drier than this April in London.

Heathrow has already recorded 17.6mm this month, so it is nowhere near being one of the driest.

The temps doesn’t matter so much still my tmax is almost +3C above average, this month is likely to be sunnier than both of them it is sunshine which is best indicator of how good a month is. It has been very dry too SJP (Central London) is on 3.8mm very dry.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Nothing this prolonged. When I read your posts it sounds like I’m on another planet to you. 

The temps doesn’t matter so much still my tmax is almost +3C above average, this month is likely to be sunnier than both of them it is sunshine which is best indicator of how good a month is. It has been very dry too SJP (Central London) is on 3.8mm very dry.

This month will probably end up slightly sunnier than 2011, but not as sunny as 2007, 1984 or 1990.

3.8mm would be wetter than either April 2007 or 2011. 17.6mm with more rainfall possible would probably not make the top 10 driest Aprils at Heathrow.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Here in Leeds 2011 never actually stood out in the memory for me in the same way as 2007. For me the sunshine and lack of rain days (3 so far) is most notable.

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, B87 said:

This month will probably end up slightly sunnier than 2011, but not as sunny as 2007, 1984 or 1990.

3.8mm would be wetter than either April 2007 or 2011. 17.6mm with more rainfall possible would probably not make the top 10 driest Aprils at Heathrow.

There’s hardly much in between them with today Heathrow will be on 192 hours next two days expecting near maximum sun... 2007 is very doable. 

Posted

Whilst this month has been preety unusual rainfall and warmth wise, not unprecedented, as others have commented 2011 was warmer, and quite probably 2007 as well, both months were very dry as well. Further back 1984 and 1987 also warm and dry April's.

Dry weather in April is preety normal, far more likely to go 2 weeks without rain in April than most other months of the year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
15 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

so let’s not over exaggerate with the whole ‘this is the record breaking hottest driest April day ever’ rubbish.

To date this certainly has to be one of the if not the driest April's on record - only 1 mm here so far and I should think in quite a few southern/south eastern areas not much more as well. Next week looks somewhat more unsettled...we'll see.

• Like 5

Posted
17 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

No stop trying to play this month down- other than 2007 and 2011 nothing compares in terms of the combination of sunshine and warmth. It's not about months 'having days like this' as yes in an average April you will get the odd nice day. What makes this month exceptional is the sheer number of days above 18C with sunshine- I certainly can't remember an April like this, 2007 and 2011 aside.

• Like 6

Posted
16 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Whilst this month has been preety unusual rainfall and warmth wise, not unprecedented, as others have commented 2011 was warmer, and quite probably 2007 as well, both months were very dry as well. Further back 1984 and 1987 also warm and dry April's.

Dry weather in April is preety normal, far more likely to go 2 weeks without rain in April than most other months of the year.

Ok yes, it certainly pales in comparison to 2007 and 2011. But let's not forget that they are by far the two warmest Aprils ever recorded. If those two months hadn't happened we'd be looking at this month being close to record-breaking. There certainly haven't been many warmer, sunnier Aprils than this one, going back centuries.

• Like 4

Posted
59 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Ok yes, it certainly pales in comparison to 2007 and 2011. But let's not forget that they are by far the two warmest Aprils ever recorded. If those two months hadn't happened we'd be looking at this month being close to record-breaking. There certainly haven't been many warmer, sunnier Aprils than this one, going back centuries.

What's notable is that the record April CET of 10.6C which stood 142 years is likely to have been beaten three times in 13 years by the end of this month and another two years in that period were 0.6C and 0.4C off of it.

The recent trend of warmer Aprils being common will be shown in the 1991-2020 average which will likely be 9.0C after this year, just 1.6C below that old record.

• Like 4

Posted

It shows how very hard it is to break the "driest on record", certainly at regional and national levels, this April may not even be in the top 20 come at the end of the month. 

The most recent month  the 1766 series to break the " driest on record" is August 1995 and that was 25 years ago whilst the most recent month to break "wettest on record" was last February. 

The total number of top 5 wettest for each month of the year since and including 1900: 34  (7 since and including 2000)

The total number of top 5 driest fo each month of the year  since and including 1900: 23 (1 since and including 2000)

• Like 1

Posted

London up to 204.5 sun hours as of yesterday. Good chance at a top 3 finish.

Heathrow's 10 sunniest Aprils:

1990: 245.0 hrs
1984: 230.5 hrs
2007: 224.6 hrs
2002: 220.5 hrs
1997: 218.5 hrs
2011: 218.0 hrs
2015: 212.1 hrs
1949: 211.0 hrs
1969: 207.6 hrs
2010: 201.7 hrs

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing fog heatwave thunderstorm
1 hour ago, Djdazzle said:

Let’s hope the models start to downgrade the unsettled spell and edge the pattern westwards. People hoping for rain should be careful what they wish for - this lockdown has been made bearable by being able to get out into the garden. Can think of nothing worse than being stuck inside.

Exactly mate spot on. Dreading next weeks unsettled spell but it's how it is now. Pressure rising later on gfs 6z. In the mean time enjoy the last of the sun. Yes praying for rain is defo not my nature.