Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2020 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
5 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

Really?...2018 ring any bells?, cooler summer than average? well it's about time we did but I very much doubt it, even the fairly miserable June last year was near normal CET wise.

Hence the word "usually".

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

what a difference a week makes here...-20c last week +20c this week and clear blue sunny skies 

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

what a difference a week makes here...-20c last week +20c this week and clear blue sunny skies 

Must be a shock to the system, although I suppose you get used to those extremes at this time of the year in Canada?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
9 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

but 2018 until mid April was cloudy and cold, if not very cold at times.

April 2018 was 2c above the 1961-90 series and May 2.1c so that month couldn't have been very cold at times otherwise we wouldn't have got that anomaly (we know March was) and as for 'another cloudy' one re: summers...not sure about that as sunshine totals of recent summers are on the rise. Attached shows the anomaly for 2018 and that is going by the warmer 1981-2010 series!

04_2018_MeanTemp_1.gif

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
10 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

April 2018 was 2c above the 1961-90 series and May 2.1c so that month couldn't have been very cold at times otherwise we wouldn't have got that anomaly (we know March was) and as for 'another cloudy' one re: summers...not sure about that as sunshine totals of recent summers are on the rise.

Are they? 2018 was a very sunny summer but I don't recall last year particularly standing out.

uk_temp_rain_sun_time_series.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Time series graphs of climate variables for previous months, seasons and years

You can select "summer" and "sunshine" to plot summer sunshine going back about 90 years, and apart from 2018, there is no increase in sunny summers over the last 20 years. The only real trend is an increase in high summer sunshine years from 1975 to 1996, followed by a slight drop off. The dreadful summer of 2012 stands out, and it looks like 2008 was duller than the flooding summer of 2007, probably due to the dreadfully dull August..

• Like 1

Posted
16 hours ago, Don said:

Must be a shock to the system, although I suppose you get used to those extremes at this time of the year in Canada?

its welcome this time of year..havent seen +20c since middle of Sept and +10c since middle of Oct..winters are too long here

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

its welcome this time of year..havent seen +20c since middle of Sept and +10c since middle of Oct..winters are too long here

Yes, I can imagine it is!  Perhaps if I was to spend a few winters in Canada, I wouldn’t mind the British winter as much!

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Don said:

Yes, I can imagine it is!  Perhaps if I was to spend a few winters in Canada, I wouldn’t mind the British winter as much!

I preferred the Toronto winters,  because despite being colder, they were also sunnier compared to Uk ones. 

The only thing is, cold and sunny below minus 5c and lower during the day, and add on a windchill is what made it difficult at times.

I can see how the novelty would wear off after a few years of it. 

But, they have better summers than us. 

• Like 1

Posted

i dont mind the winter too much here as stated they are much sunnier.. well infact the whole year is way sunnier..winters just last too long..a good benchmark for winters in Edmonton is mid Oct - mid Apr which is 6 months..by the time Xmas arrives you just want spring to start...but your not even halfway through..thats why lots of people here take a two week holiday at the start of Feb and go to Hawaii or Mexico

• Like 2

Posted

I like this warm, dry spell. It's ideal temps for this time of year. I just hope when winter comes, at the very least it is also dry, if not, reasonably cold or seasonal. Certainly with more frost than what we've had this "winter". 

• Like 1

Posted
52 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

I like this warm, dry spell. It's ideal temps for this time of year. I just hope when winter comes, at the very least it is also dry, if not, reasonably cold or seasonal. Certainly with more frost than what we've had this "winter". 

I think it will be. If we get a drier period from now until September.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Evening all!

Hope you are all well.

I am here for a wee Spring ramp! 

Stunning spell of weather this month - especially the past two weeks!

17C today which is 6C above my average for April! 15/16C a few days recently also and before that a respectable 12/13C for numerous days - mostly sunshine from sunrise to sunset and feeling very pleasant indeed.

Few pictures below from the past couple of weeks.

BBA067E7-C43E-4A46-9C44-F9DF286C30AA.thumb.jpeg.057b0ef863afc5e6803925c8e7d4b172.jpeg8440DEED-F42A-4ECF-A39F-DEE6E7121D7D.thumb.jpeg.c4a4b979db40624f9f68df241bfa2c43.jpeg9DFD2B0B-8A94-4E41-968B-B124A79F25D7.thumb.jpeg.7d853cfae19548505c25aba685e4e95a.jpeg

DEF7AD66-6393-4098-BDD2-DFD969CFEE2A.thumb.jpeg.65c14a5bb064c60b67cbd3c9edd47bbc.jpeg

536CAD01-5681-41F9-9409-223549CCA549.thumb.jpeg.26a247fc88cd084a3504c656cd5be793.jpeg

C3E32143-6882-4FEF-BF36-F040CB39D878.thumb.jpeg.3303237900c5389d75d7b8ca16260b50.jpeg

It has that Summer nights feeling - yellow/orange glow still visible to my North way after 22:00 pm.

Perfect Spring weather for many of us throughout the UK and Ireland.

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 3

Posted
28 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Evening all!

Hope you are all well.

I am here for a wee Spring ramp! 

Stunning spell of weather this month - especially the past two weeks!

17C today which is 6C above my average for April! 15/16C a few days recently also and before that a respectable 12/13C for numerous days - mostly sunshine from sunrise to sunset and feeling very pleasant indeed.

Few pictures below from the past couple of weeks.

BBA067E7-C43E-4A46-9C44-F9DF286C30AA.thumb.jpeg.057b0ef863afc5e6803925c8e7d4b172.jpeg8440DEED-F42A-4ECF-A39F-DEE6E7121D7D.thumb.jpeg.c4a4b979db40624f9f68df241bfa2c43.jpeg9DFD2B0B-8A94-4E41-968B-B124A79F25D7.thumb.jpeg.7d853cfae19548505c25aba685e4e95a.jpeg

536CAD01-5681-41F9-9409-223549CCA549.thumb.jpeg.26a247fc88cd084a3504c656cd5be793.jpeg

C3E32143-6882-4FEF-BF36-F040CB39D878.thumb.jpeg.3303237900c5389d75d7b8ca16260b50.jpeg

It has that Summer nights feeling - yellow/orange glow still visible to my North way after 22:00 pm.

Perfect Spring weather for many of us throughout the UK and Ireland.

April has felt like a decent May this year.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
2 hours ago, qwertyK said:

Might be ideal in your neck of the woods but here although it has been very sunny the temps have been spoilt by a chilly breeze which at times have had me reaching for a coat and hat especially first thing and in the evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Seems to be an unpopular opinion (even in the moans thread), but here it goes anyway. Hopefully it won't be long until we get some rain and closer to average temperatures. Sure, this weather has been lovely, but I feel as if it's time for something a little different now as the same type of weather a few weeks on end gets fairly boring. I am beginning to miss that fresh earthy smell you get with rain,

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Seems to be an unpopular opinion (even in the moans thread), but here it goes anyway. Hopefully it won't be long until we get some rain and closer to average temperatures. Sure, this weather has been lovely, but I feel as if it's time for something a little different now as the same type of weather a few weeks on end gets fairly boring. I am beginning to miss that fresh earthy smell you get with rain,

Not like we just had 8 months of continuous rain.

Its been really beautiful here this April - absolutely no complaints from me.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Azazel said:

Not like we just had 8 months of continuous rain.

Its been really beautiful here this April - absolutely no complaints from me.

Exactly, must be a relief for all those in flooded areas 

• Like 3

Posted
12 hours ago, hillbilly said:

Might be ideal in your neck of the woods but here although it has been very sunny the temps have been spoilt by a chilly breeze which at times have had me reaching for a coat and hat especially first thing and in the evening.

Yes, the East coast of the UK has been chilly from those cold North Sea winds, and sometimes its still dull at this time of year.

London has been warm the last day or so, but before that, and on and off the past two weeks or so, its still felt rather chilly in the cold east winds. 

Its been pleasant all the same though, as it has that fresh clean and dry feel to things. The hot and humid days will be coming up as we move through May.

Posted
4 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Oh please, we don't need any more rain or dull cloudy weather.

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes, the East coast of the UK has been chilly from those cold North Sea winds, and sometimes its still dull at this time of year.

London has been warm the last day or so, but before that, and on and off the past two weeks or so, its still felt rather chilly in the cold east winds. 

Its been pleasant all the same though, as it has that fresh clean and dry feel to things. The hot and humid days will be coming up as we move through May.

Got to hand it to AccuWeather their forecast for the UK  has been okay so far, they did predict highs of 23C for April. We will see what may is like 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
19 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I feel like London has had many warm days this month. I've been in shorts and t shirt 90% of the time and many locals have too, so not sure i'd describe past weather as chilly besides the odd day. Felt more like late May rather than early-mid April. 

Edited by Stabilo19

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

April has now passed the sunshine average in London, currently at 180 hours.

Good chance of a 230-240 hour month, which would be sunnier than 2007 and the sunniest since 1984, not as sunny as 1990 though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

This month has been brilliant, the warmth and the sunshine have lifted the mood a little, in comparison to what it would be like if it was dull, grey, and wet..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Tomorrow, shock to system for many in NW Midlands, north sea mist, could take until 1pm to burn off, bbc on board with it