Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2020 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I am looking forward to reading the weather summary for this month once it is over, particularly the sunshine and rainfall levels.

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

I think the sunny weather would be more as a result of high pressure with low humidity & several weeks of dry weather reducing ground moisture levels. I'm getting 2018 vibes - which was sunny (and dry) for weeks on end and there were plenty of planes flying then. 

Weather.com/Google. 

Usually accurate in my experience. 

Indications for summer are anything but 2018 , cooler than average I believe is being forecasted. But I don't remember April AND March being as dry and sunny like this 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
8 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

Weather.com/Google. 

Usually accurate in my experience. 

Indications for summer are anything but 2018 , cooler than average I believe is being forecasted. But I don't remember April AND March being as dry and sunny like this 

Going by past experiences, I too believe we are going to have a cooler than average summer over here as well as fairly wet. For some reason, whenever we have a good spring such as this one, we usually pay for it once summer arrives. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
47 minutes ago, reef said:

2019 was sunnier than average at Heathrow too (>110%), but he's still using the raw unadjusted figures (despite being told several times on here now) which haven't had the ~10-15% compensation added for when the site changed sunshine recorder type in 2006.

image.thumb.png.fd134b3638d44b93945caa05ab16012b.png

So where are the adjusted figures available? 

The UK seems to be the only country on Earth where electronic sunshine recorders result in less sun being recorded than with CS.

March and April are the only months here that will be sunnier in the 91-20 normals than in 81-10.

Heathrow was on 142.5 hours for the month as of yesterday, so will probably surpass the monthly average on 23rd.

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
13 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

I believe we are at around 157 hours of sunshine in these parts for the month so far- looks like a good chance of comfortably surpassing 200 hours.

Your area always good, but if this setup had happened mid May, to late June, my area would have north sea mist until past 1pm, April tends to be okay

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
On 19/04/2020 at 21:19, Scorcher said:

Interesting how much sunnier April 2011 was than 2007- the thought often is that 2007 was a better month despite being relegated into second place by 2011 on the temperature front. Pretty amazing that 3 of those extremely sunny months have been in the last 13 years.

It probably varies regionally, but certainly living in a mix of Norwich and South Tyneside back then, April 2007 got eclipsed somewhat by April 2011 for me.  April 2007 was the more exceptionally sunny and dry of the two further south I think.

Posted
42 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

It probably varies regionally, but certainly living in a mix of Norwich and South Tyneside back then, April 2007 got eclipsed somewhat by April 2011 for me.  April 2007 was the more exceptionally sunny and dry of the two further south I think.

April 2007 at London Heathrow had 224 hours vs 218 hours in April 2011. The forgotten Aprils of 2002 and 2015 recorded 220.5 hours and 212.1 hours respectively.

This month looks like it will finish closer to April 2011's total.

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
16 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Going by past experiences, I too believe we are going to have a cooler than average summer over here as well as fairly wet. For some reason, whenever we have a good spring such as this one, we usually pay for it once summer arrives. 

Really?...2018 ring any bells?, cooler summer than average? well it's about time we did but I very much doubt it, even the fairly miserable June last year was near normal CET wise.

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Froze were the Days said:

Really?...2018 ring any bells?, cooler summer than average? well it's about time we did but I very much doubt it, even the fairly miserable June last year was near normal CET wise.

2018 didn't really have a good spring at all when you take May out of it. March was cold and incredibly cloudy. Half of April was cold but the 2nd half was warmer, but it was still a very cloudy month.

Posted
58 minutes ago, B87 said:

2018 didn't really have a good spring at all when you take May out of it. March was cold and incredibly cloudy. Half of April was cold but the 2nd half was warmer, but it was still a very cloudy month.

Damn right.

It was warmer towards the end of April, but 2018 until mid April was cloudy and cold, if not very cold at times.

However, I feel we will be getting the best of our 2020 weather now, until around late May, then can see things falling apart as we move into June. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Froze were the Days said:

Unfortunately, I'm feeling this year will see a cooler summer, and another cloudy one.

June 2019 was rotten, apart from the last weekend, it was mostly cool and damp.

Posted
10 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Unfortunately, I'm feeling this year will see a cooler summer, and another cloudy one.

June 2019 was rotten, apart from the last weekend, it was mostly cool and damp.

June 2019 was cloudy and wet, but it was a bit warmer than average here with highs of 21.7c. July was warm but wet, August warm and dry (infact Aug 2019 was the last time I had a drier than average month).

2019 had a summer index of 293, equal to that of 2014 and one of the more normal summers since 2000 (my average summer index is 289).

I expect we will have an average May, a June of 2 distinct halves, then an absolute joke July/August like in 2011.

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

I've got a good feeling about this Summer.  I'm going for a complete gut feeling guess but I reckon the first and last third of the summer will be best, with a cooler period in the middle sometime in July.  Hoping for a warm and sunny September and October before a long-overdue proper white Christmas.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Damn right.

It was warmer towards the end of April, but 2018 until mid April was cloudy and cold, if not very cold at times.

However, I feel we will be getting the best of our 2020 weather now, until around late May, then can see things falling apart as we move into June. 

Sorry but the statistics for April 2018 simply do not back up what you're saying- it was a warm month- no getting away from that.

Very few days in these parts could have classed as cold, let alone very cold. There were quite a few above average days in the first half of the month too.

And that hot spell mid-month is certainly not to be played down- it was exceptional across the south and east in particular. 

Yet another example of someone trying to alter reality to fit an agenda- in this case trying to prove that sunny springs lead to poor summers.

There is absolutely no proven link between warm settled springs and poor summers- although that doesn't seem to stop people in here banging on about it!

Every year is different, full stop. Pattern matching is mostly a waste of time.

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Sorry but the statistics for April 2018 simply do not back up what you're saying- it was a warm month- no getting away from that.

Very few days in these parts could have classed as cold, let alone very cold. There were quite a few above average days in the first half of the month too.

And that hot spell mid-month is certainly not to be played down- it was exceptional across the south and east in particular. 

Yet another example of someone trying to alter reality to fit an agenda- in this case trying to prove that sunny springs lead to poor summers.

There is absolutely no proven link between warm settled springs and poor summers- although that doesn't seem to stop people in here banging on about it!

Every year is different, full stop. Pattern matching is mostly a waste of time.

Yh remember April 2017 was more similar to this April and summer was mediocre 

Posted
18 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

Yh remember April 2017 was more similar to this April and summer was mediocre 

How do you explain 1976? A dry, sunny April led onto a legendary summer than year.

Also there are countless examples of poor Aprils being followed by poor summers. 1998 and 2012 both spring to mind- cold and wet.

Edited by Scorcher
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, Scorcher said:

How do you explain 1976? A dry, sunny April led onto a legendary summer than year.

As you say, there's no real pattern and current indicators are for a mediocre summer 

Posted

April 2018 was very cloudy, and 5 days didn't even reach 10c. In April, that is cold for here!

https://www.meteociel.fr/climatologie/villes.php?code=3772&mois=4&annee=2018

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Lots of Snore-thern blocking and limpet lows over the UK on GFS fantasy land, I hope this is just an error and it all boogers off by the time we get to that point in time, for sure!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
12 minutes ago, B87 said:

April 2018 was very cloudy, and 5 days didn't even reach 10c. In April, that is cold for here!

https://www.meteociel.fr/climatologie/villes.php?code=3772&mois=4&annee=2018

Yes it was a by no means a 'good' April, despite the marked heatwave midmonth. On paper though, it was technically a warm one, but chiefly due to milder than average minima given high cloud amounts. Average maxima came out above average, but take away the heatwave and it would've been cooler than average by day.

I certainly recall the run of sunless days early in the month, continuing the theme from March. It really was quite an extended wintry feeling period that suddenly switched to summer when London had its hottest day since 1949. A brief reversion to westerlies before the a proper settling down in time for the May Day Bank Holiday weekend.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Looking back at my records, April 2018 was another one of those months that ended up with a "mean" temperature higher than average, but a modal temperature that was somewhat below average. The warmer days were so far above the mean temperature but few in number, and vice versa.

The mean temperature is what the CET is based upon, and is one form of average, along with median and mode which are not used in these records, but play a big part in one's experience of the weather.

Edited by Thundershine
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

2018. I do not recall anything from March apart from the BFTE (and 2..), April was nothing to remember either apart from the warm spell, oh and think we had a thunderstorm at the start of the month. I do remember May quite well though, with the two warm Bank Holiday periods and it was generally warm and sunny all month, and those thunderstorms on that 2nd BH.

Edited by CheesepuffScott
  • Like 2

Posted
50 minutes ago, CheesepuffScott said:

2018. I do not recall anything from March apart from the BFTE (and 2..), April was nothing to remember either apart from the warm spell, oh and think we had a thunderstorm at the start of the month. I do remember May quite well though, with the two warm Bank Holiday periods and it was generally warm and sunny all month, and those thunderstorms on that 2nd BH.

Yes, the late May storms were some of the best. 

• Like 1