Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2020 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
On 17/04/2020 at 19:21, B87 said:

Was March really that dry? Heathrow recorded about 43mm of rain. The long term average is 42mm. Just because it all occurred in the first 2 weeks, with another 2 weeks of dry weather, doesn't make it a dry month.

E+W 58.4 mm according to HadUKP, which ranks it 125 out of 255 in the records going back to 1766. That is below the 1981-2010 average of 71.5 mm, although that climatology does include the incredibly wet March of 1981 (second wettest in the HadUKP record).

Edited by al78
wrong data

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
On 14/04/2020 at 13:26, Scorcher said:

The comparison between April 2010 and this month doesn't really stack up for me...only the sunshine is similar really.

This month has been much, much warmer so far- on a different planet in many ways.

Heathrow didn't reach 22C once in the whole of April 2010 and only 3 days reached 20C. Away from the SE many places didn't even reach 20C.

I agree. In 2010 it seemed to take forever to properly warm up. 2010 was the year of northerly northerly northerly NORTHERLY wind week after week after week. I remember it for two reasons. Firstly, it was regularly a slog cycling in a NWly direction to work (10 miles) through spring, headwind after headwind after headwind. Secondly, flights were disrupted by ash from the Iceland volcano, again, thanks to the wind persistently blowing from that direction.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Another day with clear blue skies, ridiculous how sunny this spring has been. Also only about 3-4mm of rain in the past 30 days.

We had 29mm in March vs the average of 45mm. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, cheese said:

Another day with clear blue skies, ridiculous how sunny this spring has been. Also only about 3-4mm of rain in the past 30 days.

We has 29mm in March vs the average of 45mm. 

Next week's temps here in the low twenties and high teens, cloudy and cool for Monday and warmer but still cloudy on Tuesday. Whatever happened to April showers?

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, cheese said:

Another day with clear blue skies, ridiculous how sunny this spring has been. Also only about 3-4mm in the past 30 days.

We've had just 20.2mm in March and April combined so far with only 4.0mm of that coming this month. Theres little forecast either.

Sunshine-wise we've just topped 120hrs so we're only around 30hrs short of the monthly average. I'd say we're looking good for a 200+hrs April and that's after March which already saw over 150% average sunshine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Glorious spring weather this week! ☀️

A rare sight of an almost cloudless Great Britain - particularly the east coast!

woomg.thumb.png.2f3357c240c4f526fda90ee9b353a39d.png

Edited by Stabilo19
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 hour ago, cheese said:

We had 29mm in March vs the average of 45mm. 

I was going to post the same thing. I’ve been amazed how many clear or virtually clear days there have been. It’s one thing getting a nice April, but to get it with clear skies is amazing. We must know our luck is in, a strong easterly isn’t even bringing in any cloud either!

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, mb018538 said:

I was going to post the same thing. I’ve been amazed how many clear or virtually clear days there have been. It’s one thing getting a nice April, but to get it with clear skies is amazing. We must know our luck is in, a strong easterly isn’t even bringing in any cloud either!

It seems to me that this month is the April equivalent of May 2018 in these parts- remarkably sunny and also so many virtually cloudless days.

May 2018 was quite an easterly month so I know it wasn't quite as good in the east.

Posted
25 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

It seems to me that this month is the April equivalent of May 2018 in these parts- remarkably sunny and also so many virtually cloudless days.

May 2018 was quite an easterly month so I know it wasn't quite as good in the east.

May 2018 very sunny here too. The Met Office maps show a big blob of >170% average sunshine over Leeds, Manchester and Sheffield.

Edited by cheese

Posted
49 minutes ago, cheese said:

May 2018 very sunny here too. The Met Office maps show a big blob of >170% average sunshine over Leeds, Manchester and Sheffield.

May 2018 was remarkable in these parts- here is the sunshine graph for the month at Rostherne near Manchester Airport (with the first two days missed off).

klibild?WMO=03351&ZEITRAUM=04&ZEIT=31052

This month so far (and late March):

klibild?WMO=03351&ZEITRAUM=04&ZEIT=18042

I'm expecting to see a few more 12 hour plus days appearing this week.

Posted

May 2018 was the second sunniest month on record here with 280 hours, beaten only in 40 years by July 2006 (327 hours).

It looks like this April will have a great chance of recording 200hrs or more here as we're already on 129hrs and have several sunny days ahead. If so it would join the following years:

2011: 231hrs
2015: 229hrs
2002: 218hrs
2007: 213hrs
1984: 212hrs
1990: 207hrs

• Like 1

Posted
36 minutes ago, reef said:

May 2018 was the second sunniest month on record here with 280 hours, beaten only in 40 years by July 2006 (327 hours).

It looks like this April will have a great chance of recording 200hrs or more here as we're already on 129hrs and have several sunny days ahead. If so it would join the following years:

2011: 231hrs
2015: 229hrs
2002: 218hrs
2007: 213hrs
1984: 212hrs
1990: 207hrs

Interesting how much sunnier April 2011 was than 2007- the thought often is that 2007 was a better month despite being relegated into second place by 2011 on the temperature front. Pretty amazing that 3 of those extremely sunny months have been in the last 13 years.

Posted
14 hours ago, Stabilo19 said:

Glorious spring weather this week! ☀️

A rare sight of an almost cloudless Great Britain - particularly the east coast!

woomg.thumb.png.2f3357c240c4f526fda90ee9b353a39d.png

Can see that line of cloud over the Irish Sea and parts of NW England  on my timelapse 

• Like 2

Posted
13 hours ago, Scorcher said:

Interesting how much sunnier April 2011 was than 2007- the thought often is that 2007 was a better month despite being relegated into second place by 2011 on the temperature front. Pretty amazing that 3 of those extremely sunny months have been in the last 13 years.

Next on the list is actually 2019 with 199hrs. That means potentially 5 of the top 8 April's for sunshine will be in the last 13 years.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, reef said:

Next on the list is actually 2019 with 199hrs. That means potentially 5 of the top 8 April's for sunshine will be in the last 13 years.

And how many dull Augusts have we experienced since 2006? I would say it’s quite a few.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
10 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

And how many dull Augusts have we experienced since 2006? I would say it’s quite a few.

The sunniest for me were 2016 and 2019, both recording 98% of average sunshine. It's been a nightmarish run.

We had the 2nd and 3rd cloudiest Augusts on record here, in 2008 and 2010.

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
5 minutes ago, B87 said:

The sunniest for me were 2016 and 2019, both recording 98% of average sunshine. It's been a nightmarish run.

We had the 2nd and 3rd cloudiest Augusts on record here, in 2008 and 2010.

What abhorrent months - both of them! Each month only had one day with more than 10 hours sunshine here. August 2008 was more like an autumn month but some of the synoptics of 2010 wouldn't be out of place at this time of year with a fair bit of NW-NE influence.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
53 minutes ago, MP-R said:

What abhorrent months - both of them! Each month only had one day with more than 10 hours sunshine here. August 2008 was more like an autumn month but some of the synoptics of 2010 wouldn't be out of place at this time of year with a fair bit of NW-NE influence.

Here's the run of August sunshine since 2006. It doesn't make for good reading. Only 2013, 2016 and 2019 feeling anything like a normal August here.

2006: 140.2 hours

2007: 192.6 hours

2008: 104.3 hours

2009: 167.9 hours

2010: 110.9 hours

2011: 144.1 hours

2012: 182.6 hours

2013: 198.7 hours

2014: 183.6 hours

2015: 134.1 hours

2016: 201.4 hours

2017: 174.9 hours

2018: 182.1 hours

2019: 201.2 hours

Will 2020 finally produce a sunny August?

Edited by B87

Posted

2019 was a sunnier than average August here, but it wasn’t the first such August since 2006. August 2007 was also sunnier than average, plus very dry which was a huge relief after the deluges of June and July. I believe August 2015 or 2016 was sunnier than average here too.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

What on earth has historic August weather got to do with Spring 2020?:cc_confused:

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, cheese said:

2019 was a sunnier than average August here, but it wasn’t the first such August since 2006. August 2007 was also sunnier than average, plus very dry which was a huge relief after the deluges of June and July. I believe August 2015 or 2016 was sunnier than average here too.

2019 was sunnier than average at Heathrow too (>110%), but he's still using the raw unadjusted figures (despite being told several times on here now) which haven't had the ~10-15% compensation added for when the site changed sunshine recorder type in 2006.

image.thumb.png.fd134b3638d44b93945caa05ab16012b.png

Still, this is the spring thread. 

Another day of maximum sunshine today, so we'll be on 143hrs at the end of play, just 10hrs below the monthly average.

• Like 1

Posted

I'm wondering if the cloudless skies have been helped by the fact there is hardly any air traffic over Britain, or the world for that matter.

Also the weather forecast, at least for where I am, appears to be very poor lately. It's forecasted a grey weekend and grey Monday , today was supposed to be cloudy with a high of 14C. Yet it has been sunny without a cloud in the sky and a high of 17C. Apparently weather forecasts may be less accurate due to less weather balloons in the air as a result of COVID?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
12 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

I'm wondering if the cloudless skies have been helped by the fact there is hardly any air traffic over Britain, or the world for that matter.

Also the weather forecast, at least for where I am, appears to be very poor lately. It's forecasted a grey weekend and grey Monday , today was supposed to be cloudy with a high of 14C. Yet it has been sunny without a cloud in the sky and a high of 17C. Apparently weather forecasts may be less accurate due to less weather balloons in the air as a result of COVID?

Can I ask where you saw that forecast? I haven’t seen anything but clear skies forecast from any model or forecasting agency. Literally everything has been saying clear all the way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
15 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

I think the sunny weather would be more as a result of high pressure with low humidity & several weeks of dry weather reducing ground moisture levels. I'm getting 2018 vibes - which was sunny (and dry) for weeks on end and there were plenty of planes flying then. 

Edited by Stabilo19