Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2020 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
On 12/04/2020 at 12:24, Sunny76 said:

2004 summer was horrible, and I remember cool and cloudy, with also some warm and cloudy weather. 

Summer 2004 was sunnier than almost any from 2007 to 2019. Only summers 2018 and 2014 were sunnier.

Posted
41 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Latest GLOSEA has flipped to a trough dominated summer, quite chilly too I would have thought

2cat_20200401_mslp_months35_global_deter

2cat_20200401_mslp_months46_global_deter

Ties in with expected ENSO pattern - La Nina, which would result in a chilly summer with plenty of NW airstreams, off what looks like being a cold N Atlantic. 

Back to the here and now, drier settled blocked conditions are far more likely in depths of spring than any other time of year. I always get itchy feet though when we have too much dry sunny warm weather in the earlier part of Spring, (include preety much all of April), than May.. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Back to the here and now, drier settled blocked conditions are far more likely in depths of spring than any other time of year. I always get itchy feet though when we have too much dry sunny warm weather in the earlier part of Spring, (include preety much all of April), than May.. 

Me too! Seems more common these days though. 2002, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2014 and 2015 Aprils all gave way to unsettled westerlies in May, although the Junes and subsequent summers of those years were quite different!

Not liking the sound of a La Niña summer though, not after the autumn and winter we’ve just had...

Posted
5 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Me too! Seems more common these days though. 2002, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2014 and 2015 Aprils all gave way to unsettled westerlies in May, although the Junes and subsequent summers of those years were quite different!

Not liking the sound of a La Niña summer though, not after the autumn and winter we’ve just had...

Ironic, just as we're probably going to be allowed out properly again, a cold summer. Will a La Nina summer mean a cold autumn and winter though ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 hour ago, qwertyK said:

Ironic, just as we're probably going to be allowed out properly again, a cold summer. Will a La Nina summer mean a cold autumn and winter though ?

Next winter will be cold regardless IMO, as long as we don't get a strong ENSO event either way.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

A lot of doom-mongering for the summer this year. Would be typical if we get a 1998 or 2007 repeat, after everything else that has happened so far this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

A low of -7.5c was recorded in Keld, Yorkshire Dales this morning.

This is colder than any temperature recorded in winter throughout North Yorkshire.

• Like 1

Posted
11 hours ago, B87 said:

A lot of doom-mongering for the summer this year. Would be typical if we get a 1998 or 2007 repeat, after everything else that has happened so far this year.

Hardly doom mongering... just airing thoughts. It’s only a weak signal at the moment anyway (not to say it won’t grow in confidence though).

If we do end up with a La Niña, hopefully we can at least bag a summer like 2010 - two warm months and one very sunny months. Hopefully we’ll be able to go abroad by August if it goes belly up lol.

Posted

Please discuss anything summer related in the summer thread here:

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

Hardly doom mongering... just airing thoughts. It’s only a weak signal at the moment anyway (not to say it won’t grow in confidence though).

If we do end up with a La Niña, hopefully we can at least bag a summer like 2010 - two warm months and one very sunny months. Hopefully we’ll be able to go abroad by August if it goes belly up lol.

If I never have to endure a month like August 2010 ever again I will be happy. June was warm with slightly above average sun. July was warm and very cloudy. August was a joke. 108 hours of sun is pathetic, and only 'beaten' by the appaling August 2008.

Posted
22 minutes ago, B87 said:

If I never have to endure a month like August 2010 ever again I will be happy. June was warm with slightly above average sun. July was warm and very cloudy. August was a joke. 108 hours of sun is pathetic, and only 'beaten' by the appaling August 2008.

Indeed, but that's my point. A standard La Nina summer that gets worse in installments. 

The spring that year saw the start of a long dry spell from April to early August. In fact this April feels like a warmer version of April 2010 with a lot of sunny and fresh days (the latter half of last week apart). It was overall a very sunny month. The first half of May then ended up very cool or even cold and cloudy but the warmth returned later on and June was beautiful here. Granted I am in the west though, which tends to fare better in June.

I've just been for my daily constitutional and the ground is incredibly dry and cracked now. It's as if September to March's rainfall didn't happen!

Posted
5 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Indeed, but that's my point. A standard La Nina summer that gets worse in installments. 

The spring that year saw the start of a long dry spell from April to early August. In fact this April feels like a warmer version of April 2010 with a lot of sunny and fresh days (the latter half of last week apart). It was overall a very sunny month. The first half of May then ended up very cool or even cold and cloudy but the warmth returned later on and June was beautiful here. Granted I am in the west though, which tends to fare better in June.

I've just been for my daily constitutional and the ground is incredibly dry and cracked now. It's as if September to March's rainfall didn't happen!

The comparison between April 2010 and this month doesn't really stack up for me...only the sunshine is similar really.

This month has been much, much warmer so far- on a different planet in many ways.

Heathrow didn't reach 22C once in the whole of April 2010 and only 3 days reached 20C. Away from the SE many places didn't even reach 20C.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Agreed, April-June 10 was sunny but fairly average in weather type. This so far has been comparable to 07/11.

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

The comparison between April 2010 and this month doesn't really stack up for me...only the sunshine is similar really.

This month has been much, much warmer so far- on a different planet in many ways.

Heathrow didn't reach 22C once in the whole of April 2010 and only 3 days reached 20C. Away from the SE many places didn't even reach 20C.

Indeed, hence why I said warmer. I can see the similarity with 07 definitely. I guess the rest of the month will tell us whether it becomes similar to 2011. Of course that April began with a showery southwesterly and I remember a cool cloudy blip after the first warm spell.

This current weather is a carbon copy of April 2010. Clear and cool.

Posted
29 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Indeed, hence why I said warmer. I can see the similarity with 07 definitely. I guess the rest of the month will tell us whether it becomes similar to 2011. Of course that April began with a showery southwesterly and I remember a cool cloudy blip after the first warm spell.

This current weather is a carbon copy of April 2010. Clear and cool.

I think we have to be wary of finding comparisons in order to fit an agenda though.

This current weather in April is by no means without precedent- you could find many spells of weather like this in many different Aprils.

I remember a very similar spell to this one in April 2014- around mid-month. Very clear and sunny and not particularly warm. That summer turned out pretty decent overall.

Posted
17 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

I think we have to be wary of finding comparisons in order to fit an agenda though.

This current weather in April is by no means without precedent- you could find many spells of weather like this in many different Aprils.

I remember a very similar spell to this one in April 2014- around mid-month. Very clear and sunny and not particularly warm. That summer turned out pretty decent overall.

Of course, no agenda here though, just making some observations as reading this thread made me look back through my records.

Weirdly, I can hardly remember April 2014. Looking at my records, I can see why. A very homogenous looking month and below average sunshine. Never overly warm but equally no cold spells.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Another lovely day here. 

Last April was also warm and sunny with a few days exceeding 20C - we actually reached 24C here in April 2019 which is higher than the 22C we’ve recorded this April. Last summer was obviously very pleasant on the whole. I wish people would give over with this pattern matching rubbish.

Edited by cheese

Posted

We are massively overdue a hot, sunny August. I won't be able to cope with yet another substandard one, though 2016 and 2019 were alright (both around 1c warmer than average, slightly drier than average, and near average sunshine).

Edited by B87

Posted
41 minutes ago, cheese said:

. Last summer was obviously very pleasant on the whole. 

Was it? It maybe obvious to you but not to me. The first two weeks of July were OK but there were some very wet periods.

17th July-16th August 2019 recorded over 200mm, regionally.

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
16 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Was it? It maybe obvious to you but not to me. The first two weeks of July were OK but there were some very wet periods.

17th July-16th August 2019 recorded over 200mm, regionally.

Wet doesn’t automatically equal poor, unless it’s persistent and cool. Late July and into early August was characterised here by brief heavy rainfall and a number of days with thunder and lightning. Both months were warmer and sunnier than average, which in my opinion are the two main barometers for a decent summer month. 

By contrast, summer 2011 was rather dry but it was also cool and dull, which is far worse than warm and wet as far as I’m concerned.

Edited by cheese

Posted
12 minutes ago, cheese said:

Wet doesn’t automatically equal poor, unless it’s persistent and cool. Late July and into August was characterised here by brief heavy rainfall and a number of days with thunder and lightning. Both months were warmer and sunnier than average, which in my opinion are the two main barometers for a decent summer month.

It wasn’t poor, but it wasn’t a great summer either. I remember lots of cloudy days in late July and most of August was poor. June was also quite cool at times.

I think the London area had about 3-4 weeks of warm hot sunny weather between June and August combined. The last weekend in June, the hot spell in July, and a few warm sunny days in early mid August with the late August hot spell. 

It was still usable, but also many days of miserable cloudy weather. 

2019 was better compared to 2016, 15, but it wasn’t as good as 2013, or 14. The only other two decent summers of the decade alongside 2018 in my opinion.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

It wasn’t poor, but it wasn’t a great summer either. I remember lots of cloudy days in late July and most of August was poor. June was also quite cool at times.

Another person generalising the conditions... in your back yard, it may have been.

Here:

July had above average sunshine hours, way above average temps and below average rainfall.

August saw pretty much average sunshine hours, above average temps and average rainfall. 

The max temps didn't get below 20°C from June 22nd until August 13th. And, only two days in August didn't make it above 20°C
Apart from the first couple of weeks in June, the rest of the Summer, here, was a cracker.

Anyway, this is the Spring thread. We should be posting this in the Summer thread.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 2