Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2020 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
3 hours ago, ManiaMuse said:

So after the notably wet 7 months from from August 2019 to February 2020, could we finally be in for a sustained period of dry weather and a decent summer that is more than just a couple of brief heatwaves followed by grey skies and rain?

Sorry I've probably just cursed it for daring to believe...

A warm April doesn’t bode well for a hot sunny summer, but this is only the 10th, and things could still turn cool again.

That said, 1984 and 2003 had decent Aprils and were followed by good summers.

I feel this summer won’t be as hot as 2018, or even as sunny, and we won’t hit the same 35-38c area like we did in 2019.

However, I feel overall summer 2020 might be an improvement in sunshine levels and drier weather, compared to 2019, but think this summer could fail to reach 30-32c. 

Just a prediction.

Posted
3 hours ago, B87 said:

June 2010 was one of the few sunny summer months between August 2006 and July 2013. It was a good month, but 1 good month and 2 bad months is still a poor summer.

Summer 2002, while being poor, was still useable. Like a more stable version of 1998.

To think we went through such a dismal period for summer and warmth lovers back then. 

But, as a trade off the winters had more snow overall. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

25c has already been broken in some places today.

Some locations could possibly see temperatures soar around 27c+ tomorrow.

Edited by Zak M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
19 hours ago, B87 said:

All of the warm, dry and sunny (200+ hours) Aprils have ended up with poor summers. 2007, 2010, 2011 were poor, and to a lesser extent 2002 and 2015 come to mind.

2002 was probably the best of those summers, which says a lot.

I remember some dire weather in the first half of that summer. May was poor, a lot of June was, and the first two weeks of July were downright autumnal. Second half of the summer and September was better though. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

December and January were dry here. Only February was wet..

Posted
59 minutes ago, MP-R said:

I remember some dire weather in the first half of that summer. May was poor, a lot of June was, and the first two weeks of July were downright autumnal. Second half of the summer and September was better though. 

Yes, 2002 summer was awful. April was nice and late March, but apart from some warm to hot weather in July, most of it was either cool and cloudy or cloudy and humid.

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes, 2002 summer was awful. April was nice and late March, but apart from some warm to hot weather in July, most of it was either cool and cloudy or cloudy and humid.

August 2002 was half decent, though and September wasn't too shabby either.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
2 hours ago, 38.7°C said:

Is 27C possible on so early in April given how wet and mushy the ground is....Also whats the earliest 25C of the year??, its only 11 April and already up in the mid 20s.

Easily possible. Remember it’s been dry for a few weeks now, and it’s surprising how quickly the ground dries out. Humidity has been quite low recently too, which helps dry things out. Also, parts of the S/SE/E weren’t as drastically wet as all of the badly flood hit areas (rainfall was only just above average here for example) so won’t take too long to dry out.

Posted

It hasn't actually happened before. Looking at the TORRO extreme records, 25C+ has only happened 6 times on or before 11th April. The date record temps are generally 23-26C before mid-month with the highest recorded temperature in the first half of the month being 26.5C on the 4th and 15th.

Today could be record breaking.

Edited by reef
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, reef said:

It hasn't actually happened before. Looking at the TORRO extreme records, 25C+ has only happened 6 times on or before 11th April. The date record temps are generally 23-26C before mid-month with the highest recorded temperature in the first half of the month being 26.5C on the 4th and 15th.

Today could be record breaking.

It won’t matter anyway, because it will have little influence on the coming summer.

The forecast is for a average June, with all the good weather early on. July and August are looking more unsettled and cooler, August is looking wet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

I don't really understand the logic behind "pattern matching" (i.e. if we get a good April we'll therefore get a poor summer).  Can someone explain to me the science behind how weather during one month can help us determine what the weather will be like in a couple of months time?  I'm completely lost how anyone can even say that a certain weather type is likely 3+ months from now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Earthshine said:

I don't really understand the logic behind "pattern matching" (i.e. if we get a good April we'll therefore get a poor summer).  Can someone explain to me the science behind how weather during one month can help us determine what the weather will be like in a couple of months time?  I'm completely lost how anyone can even say that a certain weather type is likely 3+ months from now.

Theres no science or logic at all to it. Most months are above average now too so it's not like a link could be made between a cold April and a certain type of summer anyway!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
5 hours ago, 38.7°C said:

Is 27C possible on so early in April given how wet and mushy the ground is....Also whats the earliest 25C of the year??, its only 11 April and already up in the mid 20s.

The ground is already dry here - I noticed the grass is browning in some spots.. ☀️

Anyway London Gatwick reported 21°C at 11AM. Could be on track for 26-27 this afternoon across the SE. 

Posted
6 hours ago, 38.7°C said:

Where I live, the ground has already dried out with the earth cracking everywhere!

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

It won’t matter anyway, because it will have little influence on the coming summer.

The forecast is for a average June, with all the good weather early on. July and August are looking more unsettled and cooler, August is looking wet.

Just out of interest, what forecast is that from?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, Don said:

Just out of interest, what forecast is that from?

www.dorisstokes.com :oldlaugh:

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

www.dorisstokes.com :oldlaugh:

Checked it and it's also predicting winter 2020/21 to be a 1962/63 repeat! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Cloudy today in Sheffield, oh well, seems we are under a non-moving sheet of cloud with sun around the edges/horizon, also confirmed looking at satellite maps, just keeps on expanding over the locality. Quite odd. Is it some sort of lee cloud produced from the air moving off the pennines?

Posted

Is today really record breaking? Remember April 2017 was like this. The summer that year turned out to be pretty average 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

Is today really record breaking? Remember April 2017 was like this. The summer that year turned out to be pretty average 

Aye, wouldn't surprise me if most of June was much cooler and wetter, June normally dominated by troughing, April not so much

Posted

I notice Bude reached 25.0C yesterday, the warmest place in the UK. Not bad for Cornwall (looked about the perfect set up there with them downstream from Dartmoor in the ESE breeze).

Here near the south coast it hasn't been quite as warm due to some kind of onshore breeze.. it's often hard not to have an onshore/sea breeze during warm spells here.. then I kind of wish I was near the north coast instead for greater temp variability/meteorological interest.

Still, I can't complain really at 4 days of 19-21C temps.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

I notice Bude reached 25.0C yesterday, the warmest place in the UK. Not bad for Cornwall (looked about the perfect set up there with them downstream from Dartmoor in the ESE breeze).

Here near the south coast it hasn't been quite as warm due to some kind of onshore breeze.. it's often hard not to have an onshore/sea breeze during warm spells here.. then I kind of wish I was near the north coast instead for greater temp variability/meteorological interest.

Still, I can't complain really at 4 days of 19-21C temps.

Last April was pretty cold. Though a massive temperature drop on Monday, from 23C to 10C

Posted
34 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

Last April was pretty cold. Though a massive temperature drop on Monday, from 23C to 10C

The CET of April 2019 was 9.1C, 0.6C above average. Just after mid-month had an especially warm spell with a 7 day mean over 14.0C. If that's a pretty cold April these days then we really are in trouble!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, reef said:

The CET of April 2019 was 9.1C, 0.6C above average. Just after mid-month had an especially warm spell with a 7 day mean over 14.0C. If that's a pretty cold April these days then we really are in trouble!

A lot of sub zero minima though