Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2020 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
1 hour ago, qwertyK said:

Sunny at times, but not mild or anything warm. The phenonemon of global dimming means that sunlight is actually decreasing. Winters in the UK are now just very wet and mild, nothing like the ones of the past, which were still worse than continental winters but still better than now.

I can only speak for my area, but we havent had a duller than average winter since 1996. Every single winter since then has seen average or above average sunshine.

The 1981-2010 average for winter sunshine here is 189hrs and every single year since 2011 has recorded 200hrs or more.

20 of the last 33 winters have had 110% of average or more.

It's actually a fact that the UK climate has been getting gradually sunnier, with every new 30 year average showing an increase in annual sunshine hours compared to the previous.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, qwertyK said:

Sunny at times, but not mild or anything warm. The phenonemon of global dimming means that sunlight is actually decreasing. Winters in the UK are now just very wet and mild, nothing like the ones of the past, which were still worse than continental winters but still better than now.

Winters if anything have probably trended sunnier over time. The UK has always had very dull, cloudy winters. We are one of the cloudiest countries in the world.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
9 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

image.thumb.png.2a630a0bb8555408bd9e1ff15456515f.png

For London anyway, sunshine is decreasing. 

not in spring according to this..its sunnier in spring

Posted
Just now, cheeky_monkey said:

not in spring according to this..its sunnier in spring

But cloudier in winter, which I was referencing by its not as sunny as it once was.

I'm going to try and find the 1961 averages too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 minute ago, qwertyK said:

But cloudier in winter, which I was referencing by its not as sunny as it once was.

I'm going to try and find the 1961 averages too

by 2 hours over 3 months = 1 minute a day difference

Posted
1 minute ago, cheeky_monkey said:

by 2 hours over 3 months = 1 minute a day difference

It's still decreasing nonetheless. As said, I'm going to find the 1961 statistics

Posted

Hmm, interesting, that data on Wikipedia appears to suggest that sunshine hours are falling in winter, yet the met site has drastically increased from 52hrs in 1961 to 61 hours in 1981-2010

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The 1989-2018 averages, though a little down on the 1981-2010 averages, are still somewhat above the averages for 1961-1990.  Off the top of my head, I think for Heathrow they were Jan 52 hours, Feb 67, Mar 110, Apr 147, May 194, June 199, July 195, Aug 187, Sep 145, Oct 107, Nov 68 and Dec 46.  All of the 1989-2018 monthly averages apart from June's are above those for 1961-1990.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Thanks 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

With the lack of plane data, I think this is going to go right down to the wire.

I'm in the camp for one more attempt to see a little bit more snow before we warm up. 

How about a single bloody flake... Haven't seen one this sorry excuse of a winter... Bit more snow  

Edited by Snowfish2
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
26 minutes ago, Snowfish2 said:

How about a single bloody flake... Haven't seen one this sorry excuse of a winter... Bit more snow  

'Twas the wet variety, but I have 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Looks like some spring warmth at last.

saN1zDe.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, B87 said:

Looks like some spring warmth at last.

saN1zDe.jpg

Can't see anything?

So much for spring, some sleet today in eastern/southeastern England

• Like 1

Posted

If you're inferring to the netweather GFS, every time they have predicted warmth like that they have been wrong. For a while in February, it would suggest that we would have a day where in some places 19C would be reached - never happened, the high for that month was 16C. Pretty sure they also predicted this month would have a week of 18C/17C+ weather on the first week. Never happened.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Today's weather is utter garbage, to think most people on here were looking forward to it too.

Posted
On 26/03/2020 at 19:37, qwertyK said:

This march, despite some warm-ish days, has felt more like a winter month than a spring one. Crisp, frosty sunny mornings. This month for me in my area has had more days below 10C than February, and also more days where the tempreature reached 0C or below

It would really help us all if you popped your town in so we can see where you are. It helps make posts more interesting.

Posted

I live in London, and apart from a few days this past week, it’s definitely felt like a cold month, with a few warmish days thrown in. Nothing out of the ordinary. Reminds me of March 2009 with cool and warm interludes. 

Posted

Data from Photovoltaic Generation is useful for comparing 'brightness/sun hours' year on year for each month. Last Autumn and winter has been below average here in Puddletown but these past few days should be redressing the balance somewhat. ( I think that data set is only about 10 years old)

I imagine PV output provdes a good analogue for plant growth / photosynthesis.

It will be interesting to see if the absence of aircraft contrails will make a discernible difference to generation. Certainly it is nice to see clear blue skies again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
3 hours ago, qwertyK said:

Can't see anything?

So much for spring, some sleet today in eastern/southeastern England

It's showing a sustained spell of 20c days in the 2nd week of April. Hopefully it comes off so we can finally have some truly springlike days. March hasn't had any even though it's been sunnier than average with average temps. The warmest day here only reached 15.6c, which is 2c down on a typical March.

Posted
35 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s freezing cold outside. I think this March will end up cooler than average. It certainly has felt like it.

Definitely, but Hadley seems to think we are running 1.6C above average? Whilst Metchrck is about 0.3C. all the warm spells were limited to the Midlands and the Northwest. Max temp down here was 16C, and that day was windy wet and cloudy so felt more like 12C.

This month has also lacked any anomalously warm night temps. Last two months due to wind some temps were as high as 10 or 11C overnight. Highest night temp this month was 10C and only one of those. Certainly this march feels cold

Posted
Just now, B87 said:

It's showing a sustained spell of 20c days in the 2nd week of April. Hopefully it comes off so we can finally have some truly springlike days. March hasn't had any even though it's been sunnier than average with average temps. The warmest day here only reached 15.6c, which is 2c down on a typical March.

Who knows, as said GFS isn't exactly known for its accuracy especially this prematurely. Give it a week or two and see then. Certainly I'm sure April will see the first 20C day of the year