Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2020 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

My assessment of March so far: A useless, boring, and tedious rainy nothing-month which exemplifies all the British climate stereotypes. Very much sh!'t or get off the pot - either just rain, and get it over with, or give us some dry weather please. Rained every day this month but hardly amounted to anything, and temperatures the same every day. In fact the whole of the last 6 months have been brutally tedious from the pov of random annoying rainfall that springs out of nowhere and appears in the forecast at the latest notice after false promises as perhaps so much as 3 dry days. Pffft.

Posted
9 hours ago, Thundershine said:

My assessment of March so far: A useless, boring, and tedious rainy nothing-month which exemplifies all the British climate stereotypes. Very much sh!'t or get off the pot - either just rain, and get it over with, or give us some dry weather please. Rained every day this month but hardly amounted to anything, and temperatures the same every day. In fact the whole of the last 6 months have been brutally tedious from the pov of random annoying rainfall that springs out of nowhere and appears in the forecast at the latest notice after false promises as perhaps so much as 3 dry days. Pffft.

It's been a very average month. 

No warm or mild days in reality, it was supposedly 16C where I was last week, but it was raining and felt more like 10C so I couldn't appreciate it. someone predicted that the first 20c day would be in march for each month's predicted weather, but no sign of that. Still, rather have an average month than a ridiculously wet or warm one. 

Posted
3 hours ago, qwertyK said:

It's been a very average month. 

No warm or mild days in reality, it was supposedly 16C where I was last week, but it was raining and felt more like 10C so I couldn't appreciate it. someone predicted that the first 20c day would be in march for each month's predicted weather, but no sign of that. Still, rather have an average month than a ridiculously wet or warm one. 

Rainfall by quantity has been average here, but rain days much higher than normal, temps here have been a bit above average. Sunshine figures not sure but it seems to have been well below average.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

I am a cold and snow fan like many of you. However, as we approach April I just do not see the benefit of looking for or hoping for a cold easterly or northerly. It would be highly unlikely to deliver what we want due to increasing solar energy and longer days, so all it is likely to do is drag in cold, but not cold enough weather with cloud, drizzle, dampness and possibly some wintriness in favoured spots. What’s the point? 

I will hold my hands up and admit that I am also a warm/hot weather fan so at this time of year I’m looking forward to spring warmth, but I am also a big snow/cold fan in winter. 

• Like 2

Posted

Where on earth is Hadley getting it's CET from? Claiming anomaly of 1.4 with CET to 15th of 6.7, yet Netweather GFS is claiming just about 0.2C above average 

Posted
1 hour ago, qwertyK said:

Where on earth is Hadley getting it's CET from?

Northern France

Posted
5 hours ago, Thundershine said:

Rainfall by quantity has been average here, but rain days much higher than normal, temps here have been a bit above average. Sunshine figures not sure but it seems to have been well below average.

Its been slightly milder than average, but very dry and very sunny here. Just 11.0mm of rain and 80 hours of sunshine so far. It has been notably windy as February was though, with 7 days of gales so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
9 hours ago, danm said:

I am a cold and snow fan like many of you. However, as we approach April I just do not see the benefit of looking for or hoping for a cold easterly or northerly. It would be highly unlikely to deliver what we want due to increasing solar energy and longer days, so all it is likely to do is drag in cold, but not cold enough weather with cloud, drizzle, dampness and possibly some wintriness in favoured spots. What’s the point? 

I will hold my hands up and admit that I am also a warm/hot weather fan so at this time of year I’m looking forward to spring warmth, but I am also a big snow/cold fan in winter. 

I mostly agree regarding easterlies, with rare exceptions such as 18 March 2018 and, for some, the easterlies around 22 March 2013.  But northerlies, though they can bring the scenario you describe at this time of year, they are also capable of bringing bright showery weather with large temperature fluctuations as the showers pass over and impressive snow and hail shafts coming from the Cb cells.  This happened in late April as recently as 2016 and 2017.  Also Aberdeenshire had lying snow from a similar setup in late April 2015, although further south it was not as cold. 

9 hours ago, qwertyK said:

Where on earth is Hadley getting it's CET from? Claiming anomaly of 1.4 with CET to 15th of 6.7, yet Netweather GFS is claiming just about 0.2C above average 

Hadley is comparing with the 1961-1990 average for 1-16 March, Netweather is comparing with the 1971-2000 average for 1-31 March, although even so I am seeing a Netweather anomaly of 0.7 rather than 0.2. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

This March has got to be the most boring I have experienced in a long time. Normally at this time of the year the weather is fairly changeable as we shift into Spring, with unsettled days as well as some settled ones along with some temperature fluctuations. But as for this March, so far the weather has been pretty much the same. Constant grey skies, wind and rain and temperatures being around the same each day. In other words, the prolonged autumn continues.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

This March has got to be the most boring I have experienced in a long time. Normally at this time of the year the weather is fairly changeable as we shift into Spring, with unsettled days as well as some settled ones along with some temperature fluctuations. But as for this March, so far the weather has been pretty much the same. Constant grey skies, wind and rain and temperatures being around the same each day. In other words, the prolonged autumn continues.

Getting a fair bit colder from tommorow, single figures and under 10C. However, I'd much rather see a normal, boring month than say February, which was ridiculosuly stormy and wet. Its also good to see a month of "normal", average weather with average temps than something massively ab-normal. In times of chaos like right now, some normality is pleasure. Glad it's not too warm, as what's the point of some warm weather if you can't go out properrly?

The Met Office have poured cold water over the ridiculous Tabloid clams fuelled by TWO that some kind of "23C heatwave" was imminent. 

Prolonged autumn? One way of looking at it, though even autumn was better than this winter. Certainly where I was, we had far more frost in November than Jan and Feb combined. The coldest November I remember, although people are here probably old enough to remmeber much colder ones, and it was only on average 0.9C  colder than avergae. But in southern England, the temps were very cold, often 7-9C, so around 3-6C below average on some days. Was all looking promising for the "coldest winter in 30 years" as the papers had been saying since September, until the arctic blocking and ridiculously high positive NAOs came along and ruined everything. 

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, qwertyK said:

Getting a fair bit colder from tommorow, single figures and under 10C.

You joking? I've been deliberately avoiding forecasts in the hope spring will arrive and give me a nice surprise. But getting even COLDER? It felt freezing cold today in 8 degrees and drizzle as it is! What a naff dump climate this really is. And I just got a very very high heating bill from mid-Jan to mid-March. Poop!

Edited by Thundershine

Posted
10 hours ago, Thundershine said:

You joking? I've been deliberately avoiding forecasts in the hope spring will arrive and give me a nice surprise. But getting even COLDER? It felt freezing cold today in 8 degrees and drizzle as it is! What a naff dump climate this really is. And I just got a very very high heating bill from mid-Jan to mid-March. Poop!

Haha, I was avoiding forecasts in the hope more cold would arrive, although after the "extended autumn" as many have put it, I was really hoping for a decently warm March day, like 16C-20C. All the mild days that have been 15C/16C haven't even felt warm due to them being wet, windy etc. I actually think for March its been okay. A decent range of average and slightly below-slightyl above weather. April and May are supposed to be warmer so who knows.

Posted
10 hours ago, Thundershine said:

I think people just assumed a mild winter would mean a warm spring and summer. Maybe the whole year will be just more or less the smae weather, with highs of something silly like 25C/26C in summer. As said earlier, premature, but gav's weather vids shwoing an average, to actually cooler than average summer, whilst also being dry. Remember, 2007 and 2008 both had mild winters, whilst also having cold summers, albeit they were wet. Who knows. The windchilll means 8C is feeling more like 2C-4C right now

Posted

Arctic blast coming up for Central Europe this week. We're going to go from 20C and glorious sunshine this week to temperatures struggling to get above zero and possible snow next week.

If this was January it would be severely cold indeed.

Posted
2 hours ago, qwertyK said:

I think people just assumed a mild winter would mean a warm spring and summer. Maybe the whole year will be just more or less the smae weather, with highs of something silly like 25C/26C in summer. As said earlier, premature, but gav's weather vids shwoing an average, to actually cooler than average summer, whilst also being dry. Remember, 2007 and 2008 both had mild winters, whilst also having cold summers, albeit they were wet. Who knows. The windchilll means 8C is feeling more like 2C-4C right now

Going by my records those winters that were mildest were invariably followed by the worst, coolest wettest summers! I personally don't think there's any link particularly, and don't believe in pattern mataching as a way to determine what happens in the long term but I appreciate all the effort people like GavP puts into his forecasts but don't see that his verification stats do much better than pure chance like most long range forecasters. We'll just have to wait and see!

Posted
3 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

Going by my records those winters that were mildest were invariably followed by the worst, coolest wettest summers! I personally don't think there's any link particularly, and don't believe in pattern mataching as a way to determine what happens in the long term but I appreciate all the effort people like GavP puts into his forecasts but don't see that his verification stats do much better than pure chance like most long range forecasters. We'll just have to wait and see!

That said, those winters occured in a period that lasted up to 2012 of cool and wet summers, and 2012's winter wasn't very mild .

Last years' winter was mild and we had a warm summer. Whilst it wasn't as mild as this year, it inevitably got far more media attention and recognition from myself for being mild due to the fact we hit 20C

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

No rain forecast here through the 27th now, would make it a 9 day stretch.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Temps close to average on the outlook. Finally some sun as well, so we might have our first sunny month of 2020. Warmest day of the month so far reached 15.6c, which is about 2c lower than a typical March would achieve.

qp9zG1h.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Feels like a dull march here on the south coast, can’t wait for Saturday onwards sunshine, even though it’ll be chilly and breezy 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn
1 hour ago, B87 said:

Temps close to average on the outlook. Finally some sun as well, so we might have our first sunny month of 2020. Warmest day of the month so far reached 15.6c, which is about 2c lower than a typical March would achieve.

qp9zG1h.png

What site is that?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
36 minutes ago, CheesepuffScott said:

What site is that?

Weatheronline

Posted

22°C in central France today - what a shame we couldn't tap into that and have an early taste of spring. Everything in the wrong place unfortauntely.