Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ecowitt - HP2551 or GW1001?

Hi

As a relative newbie to home weather stations, I'm looking to upgrade a rather ancient Oregon scientific console to one of the more recent models by Fine Offset/Ecowitt.  The key thing I'm looking for is data upload to the cloud (WUnderground, others) to be able to look at longer term trends.

I've read a number of the posts on the forum and looked at EcoWitt's website.  At the moment, I can't decide between 

(a) the HP2551;  or

(b) the GW1001, coupled with a cheap Android tablet showing a Wunderground or Ecowitt dashboard

As I understand it, the sensor suites for both are identical, but there's a $130 premium for the console provided with the HP2551.

How does the console functionality compare to that available in either a WU PWS dashboard, or the Ecowitt equivalent?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The WU dashboard won't show half as much data as the Ecowitt dashboard, or the console. The GW-1001 will do everything that the console does; upload to WU, upload to Ecowitt etc. The console is pretty nice and that's why I opted to have both. I let the GW do all of the uploading and keep the console just for viewing.

Also worth bearing in mind, you can use the Ecowitt app with the GW-1001 and it updates the weather data faster, due to picking it up on the home network.

Using a cheap Android tablet as a console, which shows the Ecowitt dashboard isn't a bad idea. You could get a ton of weather data showing on one screen.

307287739_Annotation2020-02-20220618.thumb.png.5df676bd4909881d08587b29c0e9d83f.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear sky or snow

The console is very nice it shows all the data from all the sensors  wunderground does not show air pollution or soil moisture. ecowitts website dashbord is occasionally down or inaccessible it also went through a stage of having missing data but I never figured out if that was me or them. The mobile app is ok it works but looks plain it only shows wunderground data for the console and i have found no way to show historic data from the gw1000 yet.

So I think the console gives the widest options for data display and storage and it is totally under your control. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear sky or snow

I have been looking for a more functional alternative to wunderground for a long time, so I'm open to suggestions as well, I have tried everything I can find with no luck so far, weathercloud met office wow etc.

There is an effort to get cumulusmx working with the gw1000 so that may change things if it succeeds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 hours ago, trebor said:

There is an effort to get cumulusmx working with the gw1000 so that may change things if it succeeds.

It's already done. I have had it working for the last few months.