Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

UK snow next week

qwertyK

Posted

Tabloids largely reporting snow for UK, took it with a grain of salt, but WXCharts does appear to be predicting snow for large parts of the country, inccluding London and most of southern England.

image.thumb.png.b4cbcf883f086f9cff8ae34655cb6d9b.png

Whether or not this will surface we will have to see. Weather models have been all over the place this winter. GFS thought we would have temps of 19C in the North on the 19th Feb!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Meh...what a waste that would be, given that so many areas are flooded..or at best waterlogged.

Posted
Just now, Carl46Wrexham said:

Meh...what a waste that would be, given that so many areas are flooded..or at best waterlogged.

Not in the south, or at least, not in Essex. Whilst a lot of people have said about how much rain, it is actually not record-breaking given the maximum amount of Rain in february so far was about 156 in 1833. 

Just glad we've not had any ludicrously high tempreatures like the GFS was forecasting for a while or like the 21C we had last winter.

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

Not in the south, or at least, not in Essex. Whilst a lot of people have said about how much rain, it is actually not record-breaking given the maximum amount of Rain in february so far was about 156 in 1833. 

Just glad we've not had any ludicrously high tempreatures like the GFS was forecasting for a while or like the 21C we had last winter.

While not a fan of mild winters, I didn't mind the very mild sunny spell of late Feb 19. It was quite notable, and memorable. Also, quite a contrast to feb 18, or just a few weeks before, when it was fairly chilly.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

While not a fan of mild winters, I didn't mind the very mild sunny spell of late Feb 19. It was quite notable, and memorable. Also, quite a contrast to feb 18, or just a few weeks before, when it was fairly chilly.

It just didn't feel right. Yes, it is quite novel to have those tempreatures, but it was perhaps a little unsettling. However, whilst those temps seemed to stick out, you don't have to go far very back to find similar temps. 2017 Feb, one of the warmest in the UK and second warmest global, we had 18C, 2012 Feb we had 18C,  and of course 1998. This winter has been mild or very mild, but whilst there haven't been very cold or very cold temps, there also haven't been very mild temps like +15c. 

Seems though this winter has been mild for basically everywhere apart from the Arctic. Which is ironic because the Arctic should be cold, but we also should be colder than we are. I was thinking maybe with the weakening of the polar vortex we might see a sudden drop in temps, they are ste to drop next week and as I said snow is forecasted, but I think it will be brief and won't be very cold, and then we will return to mild-normal weather again. 

Edited by qwertyK

Posted

Just when some of us are looking for Spring it looks like Winter may finally arrive ........ at this rate the UK will need to re-do which months it assigns to which seasons.

Lately we seem to have:

Spring - May to June

Summer - July, August (if we're lucky)

Autumn - September, October, November, December, January, February

Winter - March, April

Posted
Just now, Buzz said:

Just when some of us are looking for Spring it looks like Winter may finally arrive ........ at this rate the UK will need to re-do which months it assigns to which seasons.

Lately we seem to have:

Spring - May to June

Winter - March, April

November was actually very cold, at least compared to recent ones, and much colder than average. Certainly noticeable. I'm willing to bet that November actually turns out colder than Feb, at least in my hometown. We had lots of frosts, max temp was on the 1st 15c, and most days temps didn't reach 10C. 

December was when things started to go downhill.

Accuweather is predicting a warmer than average spring for much of Europe, with parts of Spain supposedly set to reach 38C and "27C reached in London by the end of May". How it can be so specific with temps no one knows. I have never actually known Accuweather's forecast to be right. They either predict way above average temps or way below. Is their long term forecast the same? You can see the weather forecast for up to May, and it doesn't look particuarly warm with snow on the last few days of April, but as said, they are usually very wrong. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Buzz said:

Lately we seem to have:

Spring - May to June

Winter - March, April

Having said that, in 2018 Summer was more like April - October. 29C in April, 30C throughout June and July, August, meh, October I remember vividly it was 20C-25C+ for a week and a bit. Felt odd and annyoing because I really like autumn. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
2 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

November was actually very cold, at least compared to recent ones, and much colder than average. Certainly noticeable. I'm willing to bet that November actually turns out colder than Feb, at least in my hometown. We had lots of frosts, max temp was on the 1st 15c, and most days temps didn't reach 10C. 

December was when things started to go downhill.

Accuweather is predicting a warmer than average spring for much of Europe, with parts of Spain supposedly set to reach 38C and "27C reached in London by the end of May". How it can be so specific with temps no one knows. I have never actually known Accuweather's forecast to be right. They either predict way above average temps or way below. Is their long term forecast the same? You can see the weather forecast for up to May, and it doesn't look particuarly warm with snow on the last few days of April, but as said, they are usually very wrong. 

accuweather predicted sunny, dry, 10c for derby the day it clouded over and snowed..... only the gfs and netweather got our snow right.

and the gfs is predicting snow again..

Posted
Just now, mushymanrob said:

accuweather predicted sunny, dry, 10c for derby the day it clouded over and snowed..... only the gfs and netweather got our snow right.

and the gfs is predicting snow again..

GFS temps are never right though. Somehow they thought we would have a heatwave yesterday where the North would be hotter than the south with 19C weather. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
3 hours ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

If I am not mistaken some of the very cold weather of 1981/1982 ended up freezing flood swollen rivers

Edited by hillbilly

Posted
1 hour ago, qwertyK said:

GFS temps are never right though. Somehow they thought we would have a heatwave yesterday where the North would be hotter than the south with 19C weather. 

i havnt seen a 19c prediction ... i dont think thats true...

however the east of scotland can get warm due to the foehn effect

Posted
10 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

i havnt seen a 19c prediction ... i dont think thats true...

however the east of scotland can get warm due to the foehn effect

Here it is...went after a few days. Seemed pretty incredulous so I had screenshotted it. 

image.thumb.png.201dd9e854c4d70a10c8af9500a095fc.png

• Like 1

Posted
57 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

If I am not mistaken some of the very cold weather of 1981/1982 ended up freezing flood swollen rivers

That's correct, but those also occurred a little earlier in the year (January if I recall).

Posted
3 hours ago, qwertyK said:

It just didn't feel right. Yes, it is quite novel to have those tempreatures, but it was perhaps a little unsettling. However, whilst those temps seemed to stick out, you don't have to go far very back to find similar temps. 2017 Feb, one of the warmest in the UK and second warmest global, we had 18C, 2012 Feb we had 18C,  and of course 1998. This winter has been mild or very mild, but whilst there haven't been very cold or very cold temps, there also haven't been very mild temps like +15c. 

Seems though this winter has been mild for basically everywhere apart from the Arctic. Which is ironic because the Arctic should be cold, but we also should be colder than we are. I was thinking maybe with the weakening of the polar vortex we might see a sudden drop in temps, they are ste to drop next week and as I said snow is forecasted, but I think it will be brief and won't be very cold, and then we will return to mild-normal weather again. 

Very mild Februaries are still far and few between. 2017 had some very mild days, but it was cold at some points. I remember it being quite chilly at times, as our flat felt pretty cold. 2012 was very mild in the second half, but it was also cold and snowy at the start, however it was the mildest one of the 2008 to 2012 era, which were mostly cold.

Feb 19 and 1998 felt quite strange, and my uncle told me February 1980 recorded a week or plus 15c, with cloudy conditions. 

Posted
14 hours ago, qwertyK said:

Here it is...went after a few days. Seemed pretty incredulous so I had screenshotted it. 

image.thumb.png.201dd9e854c4d70a10c8af9500a095fc.png

fair play

Posted

From what I can see only midweek has a good chance to see snow showers. Snow unlikely to settle away from the hills. It looks like a short lived event and then back to rain and it may even downgrade closer to the event.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Reverse psychology has to work eventually