Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Dennis Atlantic Storm 4

pip22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Keeping a very close and anxious eye on the River Severn. I don't live near the river, but the news from upstream in Shrewsbury is very concerning. The EA graph shows the river here in Bewdley having reached its first peak, and I hope that won't lull anyone into a false sense of security -- because by Monday evening it's predicted to have surpassed this peak and still be heading up as the graph ends. If we're unlucky, I could see a Severe Flood Warning for Bewdley in the next couple of days. The defences along the town side of the river should be enough unless things surpass 2000 (which was the biggest flood since 1947) but not everywhere is covered by them, of course.

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/2001

Edited by Arctic Hare
  • Like 1

Posted

Hereford virtually cut off.  Major incident declared.  

• Like 2

Posted

Rain eased off for a time here, but absolutely hammering it down again and wind really picking up again, Hail mixed in with it too now.

Edit: Winds really picked up now, at least 40mph gusts maybe close to 50.

Can feel the house shaking, sometimes strong enough to rattle the wardrobe doors, and it's a brick semi so not exactly a flimsy house.

Edited by Ryukai
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

The cell that dropped the funnel cloud/waterspout as it travelled along the Menai Straits, and then travelled over to Liddypool and up on to us in Calderdale (where it dropped some quite stinging hail) appeared to be undergoing a similar 'evolution' to that of the echo's over the period of the Funnel/waterspout was present in Wales?

Anyone in Halifax see anything interesting out of the shower at 13:50?

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted

A Tornado crossed the Menai straights earlier. Not my video. 

Edit: just seen its already been posted

Edited by andy989
  • Like 4

Posted
15 minutes ago, andy989 said:

A Tornado crossed the Menai straights earlier. Not my video. 

Edit: just seen its already been posted

F020CD28-6690-4EB9-97BF-B1F259B032DC.MOV 4.58 MB · 12 downloads

Good that so many folk caught images?

I'm sure more will come to light but maybe it would also be wise to check out the radar images over the period that it formed so we can better identify potential 'funnels' in future?

As I posted upthread the Cell appeared to undergo a similar evolution into the 'shapes' we saw when we know the Funnel was on the ground so it would be interesting to find out if we also had a funnel try and form over Halifax area as the cell passed overhead?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

This can't be right, yet I have checked on the 'River Levels' site and it says a peak of 12.89m is expected at 9pm this evening. This is unbelievable and, if repeated along the Severn (Wye?), will be a major disaster. Hopefully, something is wrong with the flood forecast - fingers crossed it is (wrong).....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and a cracking thunderstorm

Regarding the above, I found this from October 2019 - same place, similar forecast, so I guess it's just a crazy prediction?

Posted
33 minutes ago, SalopWatcher said:

If this is right everywhere on the 7 floods!! 6m above record

E738070F-CC9B-47C2-AF04-C9989F1D857B.jpeg

Thats some ell of a spike.

Peaked here now and beaten 2011 just.

Posted
34 minutes ago, SalopWatcher said:

If this is right everywhere on the 7 floods!! 6m above record

E738070F-CC9B-47C2-AF04-C9989F1D857B.jpeg

I suspect the prediction is formula driven... If and I have no knowledge of whether this is correct, it is based on rainfall then the extreme rainfall over the past 36 hours may produce extreme outputs ie the result of a chaotic system 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
21 minutes ago, Muffelchen said:

This can't be right, yet I have checked on the 'River Levels' site and it says a peak of 12.89m is expected at 9pm this evening. This is unbelievable and, if repeated along the Severn (Wye?), will be a major disaster. Hopefully, something is wrong with the flood forecast - fingers crossed it is (wrong).....

It can! - We have had biblical amounts of rain on top of a ridiculously wet winter, Autumn and back end of last summer!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Very windy now in Carlisle as the last swathe of gales from Dennis is now moving in and battering northern and western Britain, 50-60mph gusts quite widely and 60-70mph gusts recorded around some Irish Sea coasts. A stormy night ahead. 

75C824AB-BA56-4DD3-B69A-3CB1FBFC0ADC.thumb.jpeg.fd4c509aa6b7a741df73037f1e45692d.jpeg

Nice sunset a short while ago.  

1F21868B-108A-4652-8E08-5E66205DA03B.thumb.jpeg.1c67e9d2284ac0d01702ffbf282cc2da.jpeg

980327A7-EAF9-4D2D-86AD-FFD88B75CA76.thumb.jpeg.57d787874072633eca0eff9485e899ee.jpeg

Posted

For those watching the EA 'flood' forecasts be aware they can predict really scary max's only for them to completely disappear the next hour when the site updates (my experience here in the Calder catchment?)

We just had one of the 'Showers' pass through......my it was 'Gusty' over its residence!!!

I suppose when a 920 mb low is ripping airs off the top of Greenland there's gonna be quite a temp contrast from the warmth of the ground warmed airs (we were in double figures yesterday around here?)

Looks like the squally shower we just had also threw a few lightning bolts before it was finished with us.......

Posted

Another Squall line forming and heading in, Been watching the frontal cloud edge slowly creeping across the sky whilst doing the dishes. Looks black as pitch and nasty to boot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.
26 minutes ago, DisruptiveGust said:

Very windy now in Carlisle as the last swathe of gales from Dennis is now moving in and battering northern and western Britain, 50-60mph gusts quite widely and 60-70mph gusts recorded around some Irish Sea coasts. A stormy night ahead. 

75C824AB-BA56-4DD3-B69A-3CB1FBFC0ADC.thumb.jpeg.fd4c509aa6b7a741df73037f1e45692d.jpeg

Nice sunset a short while ago.  

1F21868B-108A-4652-8E08-5E66205DA03B.thumb.jpeg.1c67e9d2284ac0d01702ffbf282cc2da.jpeg

980327A7-EAF9-4D2D-86AD-FFD88B75CA76.thumb.jpeg.57d787874072633eca0eff9485e899ee.jpeg

I got a gust of 33.9mph just up the road about an hour or so ago and I imagine it will be around 40mph up the local hills.

I can't see 60mph gusts inland this evening here in west Wales, maybe 50mph absolute max, as we had 40-50mph up the hill yesterday and that was suppose to be the peak of the storm unless i'm missing something. 

Edited by wimblettben

Posted

Lightning happening on the squall line

WWW.LIGHTNINGMAPS.ORG

See lightning strikes in real time across the planet. Free access to maps of former thunderstorms. By Blitzortung.org and contributors.

Posted
21 minutes ago, wimblettben said:

I got a gust of 33.9mph just up the road about an hour or so ago and I imagine it will be around 40mph up the local hills.

I can't see 60mph gusts inland this evening here in west Wales, maybe 50mph absolute max, as we had 40-50mph up the hill yesterday and that was suppose to be the peak of the storm unless i'm missing something. 

83mph gusts in pembrey sands thats a new spot to see,wind really ramped up now.

https://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Looks like around 30-50mph inland and 40-60mph coastal to me from what I have seen.

And when I say coastal I mean on the shore or general hills and not very high tower sites or isolated steep hills which funnel and unusually speed up the wind-flow.  

Edited by wimblettben

Posted
25 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

83mph gusts in pembrey sands thats a new spot to see,wind really ramped up now.

https://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Looks like a very exposed coastal area so not surprised.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Met are going for their strongest sustained winds of the winter through inland parts of the central belt between 10 - 11pm tonight, 30mph possibly gusting to 60.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Windy, rumbly, flashy or snowy.

Caught a few flashes from the first cell of squally rain to pass over us in Weston-super-Mare, the wind was terrific, outdoing anything from the rest of the storm and most of Ciara too, very impressive.

• Like 1