Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Dennis Atlantic Storm 4

pip22

Posted
46 minutes ago, SalopWatcher said:

Pretty concerning this...

current predicted peak of flood in Shrewsbury tomorrow night will be almost 6m!!!

that would be worst flood ever here and top most the flood defences put up after the 2000 floods! 

got to hope that’s way wrong or everywhere down stream on the Severn from Welshpool over the next few days is going to be in big trouble!! 

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/2036?direction=u

Crazy 

I`ve recorded my 2 wettest february days on record after last week storm as its winter its going to be far worse for the big rivers.

Edited by Snowyowl9
  • Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, MetWeather said:

To be honest I don't really know why the Met Office red warning finishes at 11. It looks like there are still multiple hours of heavy rainfall to come.

I think that rain area is programmed to crossfurther south Cornwall and up the m$ to cross the SE

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Update flood prediction for the River Severn has it even HIGHER!

Over 6m

If this validated anywhere close, this will be the news for the next few days. Not flood defences down the seven could cope with that I suspect. Not in Shropshire anyway. 

8A25678A-D5F2-4A02-B068-98612F283420.png

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, SalopWatcher said:

Update flood prediction for the River Severn has it even HIGHER!

Over 6m

If this validated anywhere close, this will be the news for the next few days. Not flood defences down the seven could cope with that I suspect. Not in Shropshire anyway. 

8A25678A-D5F2-4A02-B068-98612F283420.png

Wow there will be some twitchy people along the river

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
1 hour ago, AmberRose said:

Not a good idea to be standing on that bridge watching the river!

Old bridge (built in 1747!!!) + huge amounts of water pushing against it. Structural failure is not out of the question surely.

Edited by Stabilo19
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Well i'm pleased/relieved to say we didn't even get close to overtopping the defenses here in Mytholmroyd but the news from wales is grim!

Images of roads as river and above ground floor windows is just what we had here last Sunday so we kn ow what its like once the waters retreat!

Let's hope this is the end and we can now glide into spring without more of the same?

No " In like a Lion for March "!!!!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
1 hour ago, Carl said:

Yeah I get that it's to do with impact on their risk matrix. Just find it a bit odd, as if there's an overlap which could cause problems at some point in the future.

They work together before issuing the RAIN warnings, Env agencies share their flood forecasts and current water on the ground conditions, the Met Office share the forecast rainfall info. The warnigs are then issued to complement each other. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Convective Weather and Snow
9 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

According to Radar, I have a good few hours of heavy rainfall coming up!

Posted

I can't help thinking that sometimes when we talk of probabilities on these types of floods that we think if we have one 1 in 500 flood that's it for say 500 years. In having that 1 in 500 year flood it increases the risk of having similar for a while afterwards while the ground is still saturated especially in having a couple of storms arrive in a short period of time as we have seen these past couple of weeks.

Perhaps it's better to say we are having a 1 in 500 year period of flooding? 

I also think that many of the old houses in towns close to the level of flood plains, those near old transport routes of crossings, fords and bridges are now lived in in a completely different way to when they were originally built. We now see carpets, fancy floors, soft furnishings, fitted kitchens and electrical appliances whereas before they had stone floors, robust furniture and little in the way of modern comforts and if the house flooded they just put the kitchen table on blocks, opened the doors, let it flood and swept it out afterwards and soaked what was left with straw and sawdust. 

Much can be learnt from the old ways of building, where lower floors were designed to be able to flood such as in fishing villages where the lower floor was for nets and fishing gear and the family lived upstairs. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Weather

I’ve just missed a funnel cloud here in north west Wales. Family member called me after seeing it towards Caernarfon Bay and I only caught the end of it! 

2A788F51-2CC3-402D-BC9D-30C501FBDA8F.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
5 minutes ago, Liam Ellis said:

I’ve just missed a funnel cloud here in north west Wales. Family member called me after seeing it towards Caernarfon Bay and I only caught the end of it! 

IMG_4860.MOV

I was literally about to post something similar to this saying that it looked tornadic!

cell.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Weather
13 minutes ago, Zak M said:

I was literally about to post something similar to this saying that it looked tornadic!

cell.png

I’m gutted! It touched down apparently - I’ll keep an eye on social media to see if anyone else spotted it! 

• Like 2

Posted
29 minutes ago, Liam Ellis said:

IMG_4860.MOV

Looked at the Llandudno webcam a few minutes ago  and it looked as though there was a  little bit of sleet in that shower as well

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
33 minutes ago, SnowBear said:

I can't help thinking that sometimes when we talk of probabilities on these types of floods that we think if we have one 1 in 500 flood that's it for say 500 years. In having that 1 in 500 year flood it increases the risk of having similar for a while afterwards while the ground is still saturated especially in having a couple of storms arrive in a short period of time as we have seen these past couple of weeks.

Perhaps it's better to say we are having a 1 in 500 year period of flooding? 

I also think that many of the old houses in towns close to the level of flood plains, those near old transport routes of crossings, fords and bridges are now lived in in a completely different way to when they were originally built. We now see carpets, fancy floors, soft furnishings, fitted kitchens and electrical appliances whereas before they had stone floors, robust furniture and little in the way of modern comforts and if the house flooded they just put the kitchen table on blocks, opened the doors, let it flood and swept it out afterwards and soaked what was left with straw and sawdust. 

Much can be learnt from the old ways of building, where lower floors were designed to be able to flood such as in fishing villages where the lower floor was for nets and fishing gear and the family lived upstairs. 

Yes I make you right there, I think people often lived upstairs and downstairs was more rustic and devoted at work activities, in fact you still see some places occasionally with them stone floors on the ground floor, perfectly level, like a work of art. Also around Europe some of the really old farm houses still have cellars/wood storage, tools downstairs then a few steps up to the living spaces, clever really.

Well I have officially had my wettest birthday ever today, possibly one of the wettest February days on record if it carries on like this. The winds died down this morning but the rain has been heavy and non stop.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Convective Weather and Snow
6 minutes ago, snowray said:

Yes I make you right there, I think people often lived upstairs and downstairs was more rustic and devoted at work activities, in fact you still see some places occasionally with them stone floors on the ground floor, perfectly level, like a work of art. Also around Europe some of the really old farm houses still have cellars/wood storage, tools downstairs then a few steps up to the living spaces, clever really.

Well I have officially had my wettest birthday ever today, possibly one of the wettest February days on record if it carries on like this. The winds died down this morning but the rain has been heavy and non stop.

Happy Birthday!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

ENV Agency: "we now have the most flood warnings and alerts in force (594) in England than any other day on record." #StormDennis

feb16flood12midday.png

• Like 9

Posted

Only place that seems to be safe is East Anglia which isn't unusual, we are the driest area in the uk.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Ludlow now flooding quickly, looks like the Usk bridge has been shut as well.

Screenshot_20200216-130240_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200216-130558_Chrome.jpg