Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Dennis Atlantic Storm 4

pip22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Convective Weather and Snow

I'm really hoping the wind will intensify further ahead of the cold front and allow some stronger gusts here. It Overall has not been that exciting but I will say the wind has been a bit better than Ciara.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

We are just out of the rain now, at one point about 4 hours ago every main road out of Shrewsbury was blocked including the M54 because of flooding. Many still are now... never know that before. 

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

The red warning for South Wales a bit strange given the rain now cleared there?

Flooding ?

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

The red warning for South Wales a bit strange given the rain now cleared there?

Look at the second pulse of heavy and persistent rain moving into the Southwest of the radar now.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, MetWeather said:

Look at the second pulse of heavy and persistent rain moving into the Southwest of the radar now.

unless it reinvigorates it looks like missing that area to me?

Posted

Groundwater running off the Brecon's, plus added moisture from the warm-node which is now coming into view on Radar over the SouthWest of Cornwall will be enhanced by orographic lift throughout the day.

Posted

My station recorded 16mm overnight which is quite a lot for this area.

Got woken up at 4am by drip drip drip in the bedroom as well. Fortunately a relatively small problem compared to some, but will need to get my roofer out again!

The fields opposite my house are now lakes!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
9 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

For anyone in doubt about the seriousness of the situation in South Wales consider this chart showing another 4cm of rain due today up to 6:00 pm:

This is on top of the 14 hours of nearly continuous rain which has already drenched the hills in this area.  The steep sided valleys of South Wales drain all this water into narrow streams and rivers which can very quickly become inundated and cause dangerous flooding.  Hence - red warning very much justified.

Yes and in any case the peak water levels can hit when rain has cleared as all the run off and water flowing downstream hasn't hit at that point.

• Like 2

Posted
18 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

For anyone in doubt about the seriousness of the situation in South Wales consider this chart showing another 4cm of rain due today up to 6:00 pm:

image.thumb.png.2e71ee4271947e3a759cf2848b567fe6.pngc

This is on top of the 14 hours of nearly continuous rain which has already drenched the hills in this area.  The steep sided valleys of South Wales drain all this water into narrow streams and rivers which can very quickly become inundated and cause dangerous flooding.  Hence - red warning very much justified.

Agreed. Having lived through 200mm of rain in 36 hours I can confirm it was disastrous. I hope people can get safe and the damage isn’t too bad because at this stage it’s inevitable there’ll be some/lots 

Edited by Coopsy
  • Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes and in any case the peak water levels can hit when rain has cleared as all the run off and water flowing downstream hasn't hit at that point.

Understand that but the warning is for actual rain.... the radar doesn’t look as threatening for that region as it does for others. Just hope everyone stays safe.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Once again we missed out on the winds although we ran a F4 southerly for a while yesterday evening which we are sheltered from. Rainfall 34.4mm which shows how heavy the heavier bursts were considering there were long periods with little or no rain. Pushed the month well over 100mm.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny
1 hour ago, steveinsussex said:

All the transatlantic flights struggling to land in the SE this morning, quite a few holding after aborting landings

Was watching my son’s flight into Gatwick aborting and doing a fly around just after 5am on Flight Radar 24. Heart in mouth Mummy moment!!  He texted immediately they got down reporting the last moment abort, with passengers bursting into tears and terrified. Said it was the most difficult landing he’s experienced, despite flying at least once a month on business for last few years. Short video clip of runway conditions as they were heading for their gate looked like something from a Caribbean tropical storm. 

• Like 1

Posted

The squall line has passed. It was worse than I imagined. 40-55 mph gusts so a touch short of the maximum of Storm Dennis for me. The footage looks better than Ciara but the duration was shorter. Wind was higher though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
6 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

Understand that but the warning is for actual rain.... the radar doesn’t look as threatening for that region as it does for others. Just hope everyone stays safe.

It is for rain but the reason warnings are issued is the impacts, apart from spray on roads, i can only think of one serious impact from rain, getting wet walking down the shops isn't going to kill you.

Posted
38 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

image.thumb.png.2e71ee4271947e3a759cf2848b567fe6.pngc

Last night's forecasts were showing rain clearing by around 10 this morn for here  to leave a dry day. Hmm....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Touch wood, we've dodged a bullet here in West Devon, but the pictures coming out show Bovey Tracey has been hit badly, with the football club under 3 foot of water. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Looks like another wave developing in SW approaches along double cold front, which will bring in another pulse of heavy and persistent rain to Wales and SW England, hence the red warning issued by Met Office 

20200216_082817.thumb.jpg.b8cffe18c9c287f7638a98307073c30b.jpg20200216_082735.thumb.jpg.ec599aa075758a889d01a9e8d8a5d056.jpg

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Looks like another wave developing in SW approaches along double cold front, which will bring in another pulse of heavy and persistent rain to Wales and SW England, hence the red warning issued by Met Office 

20200216_082817.thumb.jpg.b8cffe18c9c287f7638a98307073c30b.jpg20200216_082735.thumb.jpg.ec599aa075758a889d01a9e8d8a5d056.jpg

Just wondering, this looks like Netweather Extra on a mobile phone. Is there a way you can get it to go on a mobile phone? I only just got it so I don't really know.

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, MetWeather said:

Just wondering, this looks like Netweather Extra on a mobile phone. Is there a way you can get it to go on a mobile phone? I only just got it so I don't really know.

You can navigate to it, the same as any other website on your mobile