Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A surfer missing in Sussex has been found alive. Great. Now they can send the moron a bill for the callout for his stupidity.  

You wont be lurking much longer if you are up on a roof tommorow 

Even doors are getting windy ?  

Posted Images

The walk to work revealed a total lack of damage a few broken twigs in the park and a couple of blown over wheelie bins. You could see the effect of the rainfall. All in all indicates that the winds were considerably less than other areas of the UK. I suspect my 41 was probably 10 mph to low but compared to other wind storms where I watched the neighbours roof dance we got away with this one. So I suspect we probably gusted to 51mph a few times but nothing more.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The PIT said:

The walk to work revealed a total lack of damage a few broken twigs in the park and a couple of blown over wheelie bins. You could see the effect of the rainfall. All in all indicates that the winds were considerably less than other areas of the UK. I suspect my 41 was probably 10 mph to low but compared to other wind storms where I watched the neighbours roof dance we got away with this one. So I suspect we probably gusted to 51mph a few times but nothing more.

 

Local park here a few trees down and they have taken down fences at the same time, some of the branches blown at least 50 meters from downed trees. XCWeather seemed spot on for wind charts for my location Northolt being the nearest recording point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, WeatherWatchmanG said:

Weather type on the netweather app shows rain/snow in the south, can anyone confirm?

Snow settling in Loughborough earlier, sleet in Northamptonshire now

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wimblettben said:

I'd also suggest that thats because your roof didn't experience 90mph winds, probably at most more like 50-60mph.

I say this as most wind reports from the weather sites are exposed and almost always tend to record higher then what your garden and house gets.

A gust reported on the local weather in the 60s mph is more like the 40s mph for most people.

That is a very good point almost always missed by almost all of the media.

I have a Davis VP2 anemometer sited at 3 metres height in my back garden, as open as I can get it but we are in the middle of a large housing estate of mainly detached houses - not untypical of where most people in suburbia live. The record highest gust is 39 mph (in 6 years) and yesterday's max gusts were 30 mph (3 times) and today, 31 mph (less shelter in westerlies). My record mean wind speed is a mere 14 mph (yesterday)!

I once stood on Lee on Solent beach with a hahdheld anemometer registering 40-45 mph gusts and had to hang onto a fence to stay where I was. I think the old coastguard station there was reporting 70 mph plus! Anyone out in a genuine 60 mph gust at ground level would be thrown off their feet and bowled down the road. The media never seem to pick up on the fact that 10 metre open aspect wind speed measurements are for uniformity/comparison and statistical purposes, and don't usually reflect what we mere mortals experience at ground level.

As for cliff edge gust speeds at the Needles Old Battery etc., (97 mph yesterday) don't even get me started on that!

Edited by DaveL
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well we based near a quarry with the west exposed to the moors sheltered from the south and south east . We've recorded 82 mph winds from the SW before and that brought slates and ridge tiles off and did a lot of damage in a very short time. Yesterday wasn't anything like that. In the past the wind has woke me up the bed shaking with the gusts going round to the back of the house looking out you could most of the people were up  despite being in the early hours. Looking at some of the videos showed a complete different picture and strength of the winds. Just one of those things.

My favourite was walking to work in the local park where there was ravine and despite walking in the opposite direction to it I was nearly blown into it. Luckily I managed to get in a more sheltered spot. That wind again was a lot stronger than yesterdays.

Anyway I'm going to raise the Anemometer by another five feet some time in the next few weeks.

Edited by The PIT
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Josh Rubio said:

What day(s) is this forecast for please and at this stage, how ‘severe’ is it looking?

Obviously far too early for any specific details. 

 

You answered your question yourself. ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DaveL said:

Anyone out in a genuine 60 mph gust at ground level would be thrown off their feet and bowled down the road. The media never seem to pick up on the fact that 10 metre open aspect wind speed measurements are for uniformity/comparison and statistical purposes, and don't usually reflect what we mere mortals experience at ground level.

https://t.co/KOqZT3SHcw https://twitter.com/GeorgeRobbbo53/status/1226553167875379202?s=20

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Porthcawl seems worse than yesterday according to this webcam

porthcawl-lower-wht-e1465551246518.png
WWW.PORTHCAWL-LIFEBOAT.CO.UK

Adjusted for British Summer Time when applicable around the UK and Ireland coast each year. Know what to do: #RespectTheWater at Porthcawl in 2016. The busiest RNLI inshore lifeboat station...

i have just seen a wave come over that right gate i kid you not.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Porthcawl seems worse than yesterday according to this webcam

porthcawl-lower-wht-e1465551246518.png
WWW.PORTHCAWL-LIFEBOAT.CO.UK

Adjusted for British Summer Time when applicable around the UK and Ireland coast each year. Know what to do: #RespectTheWater at Porthcawl in 2016. The busiest RNLI inshore lifeboat station...

i have just seen a wave come over that right gate i kid you not.

I certainly see a lot of spray where I did not see it that close to the camera last night.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The PIT said:

Well we based near a quarry with the west exposed to the moors sheltered from the south and south east . We've recorded 82 mph winds from the SW before and that brought slates and ridge tiles off and did a lot of damage in a very short time. Yesterday wasn't anything like that. In the past the wind has woke me up the bed shaking with the gusts going round to the back of the house looking out you could most of the people were up  despite being in the early hours. Looking at some of the videos showed a complete different picture and strength of the winds. Just one of those things.

My favourite was walking to work in the local park where there was ravine and despite walking in the opposite direction to it I was nearly blown into it. Luckily I managed to get in a more sheltered spot. That wind again was a lot stronger than yesterdays.

Anyway I'm going to raise the Anemometer by another five feet some time in the next few weeks.

It's a very fair point raised by many on this page. I for one have learnt quite a bit reading through these posts and respect that our own wind gusts in Sheffield were not nearly as high as those who were badly affected. 

It's easy to not trust readings from stations such as yours when a big part of you wants to see something higher just for the experience. In reality what we did get was very windy at times but not exceptionally so, which is for the best I guess! ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DaveL said:

That is a very good point almost always missed by almost all of the media.

I have a Davis VP2 anemometer sited at 3 metres height in my back garden, as open as I can get it but we are in the middle of a large housing estate of mainly detached houses - not untypical of where most people in suburbia live. The record highest gust is 39 mph (in 6 years) and yesterday's max gusts were 30 mph (3 times) and today, 31 mph (less shelter in westerlies). My record mean wind speed is a mere 14 mph (yesterday)!

I once stood on Lee on Solent beach with a hahdheld anemometer registering 40-45 mph gusts and had to hang onto a fence to stay where I was. I think the old coastguard station there was reporting 70 mph plus! Anyone out in a genuine 60 mph gust at ground level would be thrown off their feet and bowled down the road. The media never seem to pick up on the fact that 10 metre open aspect wind speed measurements are for uniformity/comparison and statistical purposes, and don't usually reflect what we mere mortals experience at ground level.

As for cliff edge gust speeds at the Needles Old Battery etc., (97 mph yesterday) don't even get me started on that!

I'd agree with that to an extent, the media definitely pick up on the higher gusts and would have people believing that they're being experienced across a large area when in fact it's only on the coasts or upland areas.

 

I think you're overestimating how strong 60mph really is though.It would be pretty difficult walking into it but i seriously doubt an able bodied person would be blown off their feet.The central belt experiences 40-50mph 7/8 times a year and 60-70mph every couple of years and it's not as damaging or disruptive as some people suggest.Bridge closures, train delays and a few trees and fences down.Serious damage and the likelihood of being injured only really come into play at 80 mph + in my opinion. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ross90 said:

I'd agree with that to an extent, the media definitely pick up on the higher gusts and would have people believing that they're being experienced across a large area when in fact it's only on the coasts or upland areas.

 

I think you're overestimating how strong 60mph really is though.It would be pretty difficult walking into it but i seriously doubt an able bodied person would be blown off their feet.The central belt experiences 40-50mph 7/8 times a year and 60-70mph every couple of years and it's not as damaging or disruptive as some people suggest.Bridge closures, train delays and a few trees and fences down.Serious damage and the likelihood of being injured only really come into play at 80 mph + in my opinion. 

You say that but a few weeks back a, mere 50mph gust blew the whole roof of a building and threw it into Slough highstreet.. How that didn't kill anyone is a miracle.. 

Or how about the tornado that ripped through chertsey and Ottershaw in January from a rouge shower.. The damage that caused was quite a lot and there wasn't even the sniff of a tornado risk that day.. 

Depends how you look at it but mother nature will catch you out.. She is queen you never underestimate what could or might happen.. Prepare for the worse and when you come out the other side thinking what was all that hype about count yourself lucky because someone 2 miles down the road might have lost a roof or had some kind of damage because you managed to dodge the worst of it.. Next time you might not be so lucky 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Any severe weather has the possibility of causing damage, i just think 50-60mph isn't going to cause widespread damage.If someone is unlucky enough to have a tree come down on their car then they might feel different but that would likely be an isolated incident.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, rowan fawdon said:

50mph is around force 9 Beaufort, /45knots. A gust at that strength will knock you over. 

 

I've been out in 70mph winds and never been blown over.It's not very pleasant and you need to lean quite far into it to make any forward progress but people aren't being tossed around everytime there's 60mph gusts.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Allseasons-si said:

it feels windier here than yesterday.

Definitely as windy here just down the road in Mansfield as it was for most of yesterday, aside from when the squall line came through - very gusty at the moment, the third period of very strong winds in 36 hours.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems very gusty here tonight. Ironically it feels and sounds more windier than when Storm Ciara was here. 
 

Really don’t understand BBC forecasts - says 20mph gusts for tonight and then tomorrow 45mph gusts. Seems very random/inconsistent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Josh Rubio said:

Seems very gusty here tonight. Ironically it feels and sounds more windier than when Storm Ciara was here. 
 

Really don’t understand BBC forecasts - says 20mph gusts for tonight and then tomorrow 45mph gusts. Seems very random/inconsistent.

Yes the BBC website/app wind speeds woefully inadequate for my area. Others like Met Office/XC weather seem spot on with gusts of around 50mph

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/02/2020 at 12:25, The PIT said:

Might as well save your breath. I had an argument on here over somebody else who was putting themselves and others at risk when storms were predicted. They came back abusive so I had to block them.

Good job it isn't Monday would be expected to turn into work.and be told off if I didn't.

Hi, had 7 hours of the most fun you can have walking in hurricane force winds and rain that hurt.

On pen y fan Sunday the winds got so high we could not stand up and had to crawl at points, got blown of our feet lots . Grate fun and a hell of a workout only moving at about 1mph .

 To put all people in same bracket “save your breath” and “people like you” when you have no idea to who you are talking about is a bit unfair but that’s the way it is now I suppose.


A lot of planning and waiting for this to come together. Some like to watch some like to do ... I like both. ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

An interesting discussion on the local BBC NW News last night during which an Environment Agency rep seemed to suggest that the wind (in most parts of the North West at least) had been over-hyped but the amount of rain which fell had been underestimated. As 'Surrey' has suggested, never underestimate Mother Nature, she will always catch you out. Who'd be a weather forecaster?! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...