Snow?

Storm Ciara - Atlantic storm 3

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A surfer missing in Sussex has been found alive. Great. Now they can send the moron a bill for the callout for his stupidity.  

You wont be lurking much longer if you are up on a roof tommorow 

Even doors are getting windy ?  

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Doesn't look like it, yet! 

Was that estofex level 2 really necessary? 

To be fair, by their criteria, Estofex's warning has verified perfectly - that squall line was convective in nature, enhanced the speeds of the underlying wind field and its winds undoubtedly exceeded 49kt in places.

• Like 4
57 minutes ago, Snipper said:

For this area been an interesting day but nothing like was hyped. Who’d be a weather forecaster?

If anything it's the other way round ? , days like these are why weather forecasting is so interesting! I think given the squally nature of the rain and winds there are marked local variations and lets not forget the rain in parts of northern areas today. The most intriguing day of weather in quite a while I think.

• Like 3

Another squall line moving through Northern England currently with quite a lot of lightning being detected along it. Is heading in my direction but has the Peak District to survive before it gets here.

• Like 4

Tide coming in at Porthcawl,looking lively there now.

Untitled.thumb.png.f698ad88861735e2eca0c741abc99d5b.png

porthcawl-lower-wht-e1465551246518.png
WWW.PORTHCAWL-LIFEBOAT.CO.UK

Adjusted for British Summer Time when applicable around the UK and Ireland coast each year. Know what to do: #RespectTheWater at Porthcawl in 2016. The busiest RNLI inshore lifeboat station...

Edited by Allseasons-si
34 minutes ago, Pat Butcher said:

To be fair, by their criteria, Estofex's warning has verified perfectly - that squall line was convective in nature, enhanced the speeds of the underlying wind field and its winds undoubtedly exceeded 49kt in places.

Not really perfect verification if there have been no reports of tornadoes and the lightning was rather infrequent (~584 strikes today estimated). A level 1 warning would've been enough for the UK IMO.

Edited by Stabilo19

The only shower that looks like it will produce lightning is to the south of me.

I can see the Sheffield cell from where I live so I set up my phone to catch some distant lightning. Haven't seen a flash yet though.

2 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Not really perfect verification if there have been no reports of tornadoes and the lightning was rather infrequent (~584 strikes today estimated). A level 1 warning would've been enough for the UK IMO.

Also, summer convective weather can be more severe than todays but it's rare to see a level 2 isn't it? 

Edited by Stabilo19
1 minute ago, Stabilo19 said:

I think level 2 is justified,personally. The first (of 3) squall lines was convective (wind gusts increased from 42 to 57mph), electrified very rapidly (after passing me,sadly!!)and the whole set up today has been highly volatile. 

• Like 1

We just had the strongest wind gust of the entire storm so far in Bexhill, completely out of nowhere! Really bent and whipped all the trees, and I heard something crash in the distance. I assumed the peak had already passed? I’m not complaining though!