Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Ciara - Atlantic storm 3

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and a cracking thunderstorm
12 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

Whelp that doesn't look good.  Watching the Porthcawl stream, police turned up and cleared everyone off of the wall and away from it. Then a couple mins later a helicopter (police/coastguard?) started buzzing back and forth with it's spotlights on searching in the water :s

High tide is at 18:44, so fingers crossed the clearing of people is because of that, and the helicopter was just a precaution to definitely make sure no one is in or around the water.

• Like 1

Posted

Heard on the bbc weather this is the most damaging storm for 7 years think that should be 6 years really.

1 inch of rain today thats alot for a SWly windflow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

I dont know but it's amazing.. 

whales-bridgend-Porthcawl-Pier.jpg
WWW.WEBCAMTAXI.COM

This live webcam stream shows Porthcawl Pier and the Bristol Channel, located in the south coast of Wales

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
4 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Wow

Almost appears enhanced.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
1 hour ago, Icebox said:

On the radar it appears to be running ENE... it is not getting any closer to the coast.

feb09dover2.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
59 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

Whelp that doesn't look good.  Watching the Porthcawl stream, police turned up and cleared everyone off of the wall and away from it. Then a couple mins later a helicopter (police/coastguard?) started buzzing back and forth with it's spotlights on searching in the water :s

Just watching this now,the helicopter is there now with the search light on,hope there is no one in the sea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Forgot to include the timelapse videos.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
58 minutes ago, Jo Farrow said:

feb09dover2.png

Which is why that went Amber 2 days ago, full Mark's to the metoffice.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Ignoring the mountain sites, quite a list of top gusts from today https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/daily-top-20/maxg

Next up, some snow 

feb09ciaraGUSTStop.png

feb09snowmontues.png

• Like 3

Posted

Watched the squall front come towards my location earlier today, then as it approached it thinned out and almost broke in two, giving no more than a minute of interesting weather, and then soon after it cleared up, there appears to be some sort of blocker for interesting weather surrounding me

The job helping put up an antenna was completed in the afternoon in glorious sunshine - and was only delayed " because of the rain" complete with being told " told you so" that this weather event was overhyped with nothing more than a stiff breeze bit of rain and a heavy shower ( the squall front)

Edited by Rich_T
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
24 minutes ago, Rich_T said:

Watched the squall front come towards my location earlier today, then as it approached it thinned out and almost broke in two, giving no more than a minute of interesting weather, and then soon after it cleared up, there appears to be some sort of blocker for interesting weather surrounding me

The job helping put up an antenna was completed in the afternoon in glorious sunshine - and was only delayed " because of the rain" complete with being told " told you so" that this weather event was overhyped with nothing more than a stiff breeze bit of rain and a heavy shower ( the squall front)

image.png.651ca28762943f4ff1a9923783778079.png

Wasn't you due to go out at 9am anyway? Seems like it was too windy for the job till the last squall line passed through. It was more than just a stiff breeze and a shower for many... and this image posted earlier from Shirebrook also suggests otherwise? Yes squally gusts can be unpredictable but that doesn't mean performing a such a job isn't without risk.  

Edited by Quicksilver1989

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Overall this was a very worthwhile event for Bexhill; Lovely slate-grey crashing seascapes earlier, and wind gusts at around 14:00 in excess of 70-75mph at one particular point! 

The noise at that stage was very eerie... A long, continuous whistle, with deep roars in mixed in with the ferocious gusts. The trees beside my garden were mercilessly thrashed around at times. My garden’s fence was partially destroyed. 

I especially enjoyed the walk on the seafront, where I struggled up Galley Hill. The rain felt like sand grains against my numb face. It really brought me back to the winter of 2013-14, when I was around 11. My dad took as for a walk along Hastings seafront during a deep storm. It was the kind of wind in which you struggle to keep your footing in.

I hope everyone has had a good day, and has a good evening!  At least this event gives this Winter something interesting for me to look back upon...

Edited by LightningLover
  • Like 1

Posted

The higher winds for the SE did not materialize, then - no places in the SE figured in the top 20 gusts table. 

Looks like areas near The Wash for the worst of the "inland" gusts. 

Overall a decent storm but there have been worse ones here near the S Coast in recent years with almost no hype at all. 

• Like 1

Posted

Nothing more than a bit of breeze here, south-west of Cambridge, a couple of gusts enough to knock an empty bucket out on the patio onto its side, and barely enough rain to wet the windows!  I took the dog out at 4pm and behind the clouds, blue sky and sunshine were pushing in from the west.  Cloudy and breezy now, but nothing of note.  I had been so worried the roof would be damaged, a lot of tiles came off in a southerly wind during Storm Eleanor in January 2018.

Just a few miles south-east from here, the roof of a hangar at Duxford was damaged and the adjacent M11 was closed for fear of loose debris.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

This is the last one, I promise! 

Edited by Zak M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, humid & exciting

IMHO the level 2 was justified. I'm a tree surgeon in Derbyshire and we've been out all day responding to call outs from power company and local authority. We've been to 25 jobs and personally I was attending a tree that had downed a 11kv line when the squall line went through and another big tree went over right next to us! Definitely the most intense squall I've personally witnessed. (was somewhat East of Nottingham at the time) 

• Like 9

Posted

I don't think it's fair to call this event over-hyped and let's not forget the people who have been badly affected by the storm in places such as W Yorkshire and Cumbria. However the reality for some of us is that the storm was not as bad as first feared and I for one am glad that this was the case.

In South Cheshire, the squall line passed through with about 15 minutes of torrential rain at 11.45am and, despite some angry clouds around later on, we have seen no more rain since then and the wind has died down. 

I've been in S Cheshire for 20 years, and the gale ranks no higher than 4th in my list of memorable and destructive gales in the area. In 1st place was the gale of 18th January 2007 which caused widespread destruction and this was followed by the gales of Feb 12th 2014 and Feb 23rd 2017. The former resulted in chaos at our local railway station when bits of the roof fell on the live wires and the fire brigade had to be called in to put out the resulting flames. The latter arose from Storm Doris which caused widespread damage.

Better to be safe than sorry I think was the byword in this case and I am sure we should be grateful that for most of us, this was no more than a good opportunity to see nature at work.  

Edited by A Face like Thunder
  • Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Bradowl said:

I believe if next weekends storm materialises it will be named Dennis.

What day(s) is this forecast for please and at this stage, how ‘severe’ is it looking?

Obviously far too early for any specific details.