Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Ciara - Atlantic storm 3

Summer Sun

Posted

Winds are increasing here again powerful blasts 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

A new wind gust record for me! Took so long to achieve it. 54mph. Wind speed record earlier of 31mph, and the wind run is likely to go as well. Bitter sweet though.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

A surfer missing in Sussex has been found alive. Great. Now they can send the moron a bill for the callout for his stupidity.

Why would you surf in conditions like that?

And what was he thinking in his head too?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
3 minutes ago, Zak M said:

My guess is not a lot.

• Like 5

Posted

It's still probably too early but dare I venture to suggest that the MO got more of this right than wrong and that the main models at least (I'm looking at you GFS and ECM) were quite a way off both in terms of timing and wind predictions? Ok, the squall lines have been nasty for some but, overall, the wind event was overdone in terms of the numbers. Yes, people needed to be warned because it is fairly unusual but the widespread 70+ mph inland gusts people on here were going on about only yesterday just haven't happened (yet!). Still, it's all useful information that will hopefully improve the models further.

• Like 6

Posted

For anyone in the North Essex / South Cambs area, part of the roof of one of the hangars at #Duxford has blown off and the A505 and M11 are closed due to debris. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

I was in Pocklington, East Yorkshire when the squall went through. It was insane... easily the most impressive I’ve seen. Rain sideways, visibility truly shocking. Afterwards, the run-off from the hills left a torrent through the streets. Quite extraordinary as weather events go.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....
10 minutes ago, Nick L said:

A surfer missing in Sussex has been found alive. Great. Now they can send the moron a bill for the callout for his stupidity.

That may be the guy at Rock-a-Nore who was out there this morning....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Wallabies escaping thanks to the

Posted
14 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Why would you surf in conditions like that?

Why do people bungee jump or do sky diving? Some just like the rush. 
Each to their own, not good when other  people have to put themselves at risk to rescue them though, perhaps he thought he was such a good / experienced surfer he could handle it.

guessing he won’t be doing it agin in a hurry though!!!

Edited by Bazray
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
5 minutes ago, MysticMouflon said:

It's still probably too early but dare I venture to suggest that the MO got more of this right than wrong and that the main models at least (I'm looking at you GFS and ECM) were quite a way off both in terms of timing and wind predictions? Ok, the squall lines have been nasty for some but, overall, the wind event was overdone in terms of the numbers. Yes, people needed to be warned because it is fairly unusual but the widespread 70+ mph inland gusts people on here were going on about only yesterday just haven't happened (yet!). Still, it's all useful information that will hopefully improve the models further.

There have been widespread 70mph gusts, Kent, Lincolnshire, Cambridgshire, Notts, Derbys, etc

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, Starsail said:

By both populations do you mean Ireland and England? What about those lovely Welsh and Scottish names? Some of those names can be crackers to spell. 

I think you are doing your fellow countrymen a disservice to suggest that they can't get their head around Ciara. It is fairly easy to spell if you want it to be. 

My point is that there social media is used to tell people about issues in their area due to the storm ....when the names are unclear, you can miss things relevant to you if the poster of the info has miss spelt the name -  we should recognise the reason these storms are named in the first place ! 

incidentally, wind and temp readings from the East Midlands show the cold front/squall passing through as temps drop and wind speed spikes 

• Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I'm currently pricing up gravel boards, concrete posts and close board panels, so you can guess what's happened here..

Me too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

My point is that there social media is used to tell people about issues in their area due to the storm ....when the names are unclear, you can miss things relevant to you if the poster of the info has miss spelt the name -  we should recognise the reason these storms are named in the first place ! 

incidentally, wind and temp readings from the East Midlands show the cold front/squall passing through as temps drop and wind speed spikes 

People can't spell loads of words. Twitter is full of incorrect hashtags. Some names maybe unfamiliar to you but not to the next person. They are a label. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

It'll probably break up as it arrives here and then pep back up when it has passed:

676823080_Annotation2020-02-09143735.thumb.png.8ddf45b8b719438a7908f1b12a61bc2e.png

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
8 minutes ago, Bazray said:

Why do people bungee jump or do sky diving? Some just like the rush. 
Each to their own, not good when other  people have to put themselves at risk to rescue them though, perhaps he thought he was such a good / experienced surfer he could handle it.

guessing he won’t be doing it agin in a hurry though!!!

I don't think that comparison is at all fair. Bungee jumping and sky diving is done under far more controlled conditions with risk assessments performed. I'd argue the chances of being killed by either of those are miniscule in comparison to going out in the sea in Force 11 winds and then expecting the emergency services to bail you out.

Seeking adrenaline is one thing. Being a pillock is another.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Top 20 stations for wind gusts in the hour to 2pm, km/h:

image.thumb.jpg.636be90560b6df50b8542ae5c814197a.jpg

With Cranwell recording 124 km/h, the warnings looked to be in the right ball park for me, and the models, well some were a bit under, some a bit over, as you might expect.

Locally the wind had subsided, now growing stronger again as the main squall line approaches, with some intensification of precipitation going by the radar.

Going a bit dark, here...

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
7 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

It'll probably break up as it arrives here and then pep back up when it has passed:

676823080_Annotation2020-02-09143735.thumb.png.8ddf45b8b719438a7908f1b12a61bc2e.png

Yup,  just managed to squeeze through the gap in the middle, very disappointing.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I don't think that comparison is at all fair. Bungee jumping and sky diving is done under far more controlled conditions with risk assessments performed. I'd argue the chances of being killed by either of those are miniscule in comparison to going out in the sea in Force 11 winds and then expecting the emergency services to bail you out.

Seeking adrenaline is one thing. Being a pillock is another.

Well I do know somebody who got seriously injured from skydiving, that’s why I thought of it as an example, but yea, surfing in these conditions is asking for trouble, I agree. 
remember a few years ago in a Torquay, there was a pretty bad storm coinciding with a high tide, the waves where crashing over the wall. Some kids, decided it was fun to play chicken with the waves, one got caught and just escaped, didn’t learn the lesson though and carried on. 
some people are just a bit mad

Edited by Bazray

Posted

ah here it is ,sleeting now ,and we are back to normal sideways precipitation,more or less bang on for us up here near inverness 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Convective Weather and Snow
55 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I'm currently pricing up gravel boards, concrete posts and close board panels, so you can guess what's happened here..

You are very lucky, here we have only had a few sticks come down.