Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Ciara - Atlantic storm 3

Summer Sun

Posted

22 minutes ago, wrightc23 said:

Just watched that, a TUI 787 aborted very early, it's a challenge to land in these sort of conditions. As you say Manchester's runway's are almost perfectly aligned for the storm so they're coming into a strong headwind. Obviously that doesn't offset the not inconsiderable gusts of wind that can catch them out.

Without turning this into an aviation thread, looks like that that TUI 787 is coming in for a third attempt at Manchester.

image.thumb.png.160b28b43aa38a3d8d3b248225e710a9.png

Also spotted two Ryanair jets intended for Birmingham and East Midlands which seem to be diverting to Manchester. Must be a fun day to be working in ATC...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

My neighbors trampoline just went airborne for a second! 

Posted
10 minutes ago, Zak M said:

This radar image 

Untitled Project (Time 0_00_00;00).png

Yeah, looks more like those squall systems you see in the US. The conditions are perfect for tornadoes within the embedded areas of rotation. I'm sure we'll get more reports and footage as the day progresses. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Not bad here max gust 41 mph so far. Rain more the issue.

Must be a sheltered station. That's at odds with the general picture around our region which has widespread gusts over 50mph. A look out of the window here at 100m ASL and not particularly sheltered or exposed confirms gusts exceeding 50mph purely by observation.

The rain has been quite showery in nature so far with no sustained heaviness like those areas further north. I suspect our position in relation to the Peak District and the SW/SSW winds have sheltered us a little from the heaviest rain. Still wet of course.

More to come though - we'll see what the squalls bring later

Edited by Onding

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

image.thumb.png.662e7b19b07588104b01f2c42cdd2b28.png

she’s really tightening up near the centre!

• Like 2

Posted

Think metoffice wind speeds been pretty bang on clearly bbc forecast been way overdoing wind speed. Seen worse during normal winter weather fronts here in the south. Winds have dropped of more than anything since this morning. 

• Like 2

Posted
26 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

I presume ciara was named  by the Irish metoffice ? 

Shouldn’t the European storms all have a common name list and ones which everyone can easily spell! 

I believe our Met Office issued it.  We share names with the Met Office in Ireland (you may know that bit!)

Posted
Just now, Rapodo said:

Think metoffice wind speeds been pretty bang on clearly bbc forecast been way overdoing wind speed. Seen worse during normal winter weather fronts here in the south. Winds have dropped of more than anything since this morning. 

Yeah the metoffice has been more accurate here

Posted
12 minutes ago, ManiaMuse said:

Without turning this into an aviation thread, looks like that that TUI 787 is coming in for a third attempt at Manchester.

Also spotted two Ryanair jets intended for Birmingham and East Midlands which seem to be diverting to Manchester. Must be a fun day to be working in ATC...

Yes been looking at those you mention and it seems the Ryanairs are trying on landing at Liverpool

Also a Flybe seems to have given up on Birmingham and returning to Edinburgh

CropperCapture[2].jpg

Edited by OddSpot

Posted
1 minute ago, jamesthemonkeh said:

I believe our Met Office issued it.  We share names with the Met Office in Ireland (you may know that bit!)

surely it’s not beyond the two organisations wit to use a list of names which both populations can spell! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rapodo said:

Aren't your wind speeds peaking later?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Top gusts so far

79mph Needles

72mph Capel Curig

70mph Mumbles

Winds are expected to get worse in some locations this afternoon

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Its ramping up here. I'm lucky to be indoors at work, but watching the trees even here in City Centre are taking a hell of pounding compared to when I started work at 730.

To be fair,  the City Centre given it's a Sunday is totally dead compared to normal.

Posted
1 minute ago, Onding said:

Aren't your wind speeds peaking later?

Would need to increaes alot to be anything really noteworthy, its actually dropped off since I walked the dog at 7am this morning. See what happens even the rain that met office forecast is not here. Personally I dont think it's going to be all the note worthy now. 

Posted
9 minutes ago, Rapodo said:

They havn`t peaked yet around 2 to 3 hours to go longer for the SE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Expecting peak here this afternoon 2pm onwards. Give it a chance!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
17 minutes ago, ManiaMuse said:

Feel free to post in the aviation thread. It's going to be a bumpy day for landings 

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/83950-aviation-thread/page/9/?tab=comments#comment-4118688

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
4 minutes ago, Onding said:

Must be a sheltered station. That's at odds with the general picture around our region which has widespread gusts over 50mph. A look out of the window here at 100m ASL and not particularly sheltered or exposed confirms gusts exceeding 50mph purely by observation.

The rain has been quite showery in nature so far with no sustained heaviness like those areas further north. I suspect our position in relation to the Peak District and the SW/SSW winds have sheltered us a little from the heaviest rain. Still wet of course.

More to come though - we'll see what the squalls bring later

Against that hardly any damage to the trees wheelie bins not launched. Okay my wheel Barrow has fallen over. The sound though doesn't really match anything much larger. I'm waiting for the swing to more SW direction.