Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Ciara - Atlantic storm 3

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
21 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Models continue to fluctuate on where the worst of the wind will be tomorrow. Euro4 12Z shifted the worst winds to the N Devon coast (90mph ish), with inland areas perhaps more in the 60-70 category. The ECM 12Z, on the other hand, increases the area in the mid 70s, which includes a lot of England / Wales, plenty of localized 80mph spots and 95mph over Exmoor - not a good day to be flying a kite on a Devon hill! 

Flying a kite should be ok, it's just that you might start in Devon but end up Kent. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Damage already to a bar in Perth Scotland, and really just horrendous squally type showers so far but enough to do this and blow my football goals in the garden over which has not happened before... Pub is having work done but still scary could easily have been people standing there. 

IMG-20200208-WA0042.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
Just now, edo said:

Damage already to a bar in Perth Scotland, and really just horrendous squally type showers so far but enough to do this and blow my football goals in the garden over which has not happened before... Pub is having work done but still scary could easily have been people standing there. 

IMG-20200208-WA0042.jpg

That construction going on to the right looks like it will be next.

Posted
1 minute ago, Bradowl said:

Flying a kite should be ok, it's just that you might start in Devon but end up Kent. 

Take a passport .. just in case you end up in Amsterdam

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, MetWeather said:

Yep. Definitely feels like BBC know something we don't.

Or it could be using a rough grid point as reference, a location at sea perhaps, as it will be taken straight from the EC global model.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Pretty standard stuff in the end for us on the West Coast - must have peaked around 60mph but still a nice wee stroll down the beach during low tide. 

Those wind speeds would cause some issues though in urban areas - much higher gusts predicted across the UK and Ireland tomorrow.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Convective Weather and Snow

I'm just wondering about the convective side of this storm as a few sources are suggesting squall lines and even tornadic activity but I really cant figure out the convective aspects of this storm. Does anyone have any ideas?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

My (amateur) take on where the storm is currently. It should be ramping up to something a bit more noticeable in next few hours. 

c.jpg

c1.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Should I tell the guys in the Wiltshire forests to cut and run? They are planning to stay over tonight but I don’t know what sort of shelter they are in. Bit worried  

Is this real or a spoof ? 

6 minutes ago, MetWeather said:

I'm just wondering about the convective side of this storm as a few sources are suggesting squall lines and even tornadic activity but I really cant figure out the convective aspects of this storm. Does anyone have any ideas?

The cold front could be quite lively! Lines of sharp convection are tricky to forecast/pinpoint in such a setup. They have the potential to deliver locally very strong gusts almost anywhere.

The radar and hi-res satellite imagery will be a good guide tomorrow for forecasting associated impacts.

Posted

Will be documenting this from Southend Seafront tomorrow from 11am, High Tide is 1239pm at 5.87m

Going to take a look at the Planes landing as well although crosswinds should not be a problem with the runway from NE to SW 

Will try to get a Facebook Live up at some point

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
19 minutes ago, Zak M said:

That construction going on to the right looks like it will be next.

Its all one building they have been taking down the outer wall and rebuilding it...... 

IMG-20200208-WA0043.jpg

Posted
3 minutes ago, edo said:

Its all one building they have been taking down the outer wall and rebuilding it...... 

IMG-20200208-WA0043.jpg

Oh 

• Like 1

Posted

I like this tweet from Dan!

twitter.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

From the satellite views and models, Ciara still isnt anywhere near, this is the first system and will be until very early morning. The earlier squall lines and awful weather at Murrayfield are not Ciara.

Look at Burntfishytrousers NASA shots, it has hardly started to fold in yet, the jet stream is driving it at silly speeds.

I would suggest that some of the high res models are seeing some kind of sting jet type winds around the South of the UK(and Northern France/Channel Islands), hence the startling wind speeds being projected. The length of time these will be experienced is something we are quite un-used to in this country, and maybe, unable to deal with!!!

Funnily enough, son in law has just disagreed with me about what's coming...looking at his phones front screen he said.

"doesn't seem too bad, bit gusty up to 40mph, and a bit of rain, should clear up afternoon". I think he has Siri.

Edited by matty40s
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Estofex Level 2 mainly for the wind but mentions the convective potential as well

image.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms

Bbc weather said amber likely to be moved further north?

Posted
44 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Or it could be using a rough grid point as reference, a location at sea perhaps, as it will be taken straight from the EC global model.

The Needles Old Battery on a 200+ foot cliff might see gusts like that I suppose but if they have used that to project to nearby towns (including an 88 mph at Southampton) it's a broken 'app'. Brighstone, 5 miles from Freshwater, is at a more sensible 72 mph max gust.

Edited by DaveL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.
1 minute ago, matt111 said:

Estofex Level 2 mainly for the wind but mentions the convective potential as well

image.png

sorry posted same

• Like 1