Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Ciara - Atlantic storm 3

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
21 minutes ago, jimben said:

Warnings are wasted on people like you. Thoughts with the mountain rescue teams who will have to risk their lives tomorrow to rescue or recover idiots. 

Aye -- just the time when errant muppets 'take to the hills'...wearing Bermuda shorts, singlets and flip-flops!:oldangry:

Edited by General Cluster
I was a bit unfair to my fellow countryfolk.
  • Like 2

Posted

I wonder what impacts Ciara will have on sporting fixtures tomorrow, with many train services being cancelled and a few away-games being played it means more cars on the road, with many fans setting off at the time of the highest wind-gusts.

Posted
1 minute ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

I wonder what impacts Ciara will have on sporting fixtures tomorrow, with many train services being cancelled and a few away-games being played it means more cars on the road, with many fans setting off at the time of the highest wind-gusts.

PL games in Manchester and Sheffield. 

To be honest, I think when there's an amber warning, they should seriously consider postponing games really.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
1 minute ago, General Cluster said:

Aye -- just the time when errant Sassenachs 'take to the hills'...wearing Bermuda shorts, singlets and flip-flops!:oldangry:

Or like runners in shorts running shirts running across the moors in sub zero temperatures and I'm the only person they've seen in an hour. Patchy phone signal if they've even got a mobile on them so one slip and very likely to die.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice
2 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

Good point. I doubt any sporting fixtures will go ahead within the amber warning areas.  Hopefully the organisers will consider the dangers people will be putting themselves in travelling to such events.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

There will clearly be a lot of power outages tomorrow, folks should also prepare for no electricity for several hours maybe longer depending on how widespread. Elderly neighbours etc 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
27 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

I wonder if a red warning could be given somewhere in the UK for the wind.

Has there ever been a red warning for wind speeds.

C.S

Red warning issued for wind on February 12th 2014
Red warning issued for wind & snow on March 1st 2018

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
2 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Or like runners in shorts running shirts running across the moors in sub zero temperatures and I'm the only person they've seen in an hour. Patchy phone signal if they've even got a mobile on them so one slip and very likely to die.

I never go running without my mobile but my signal is more patchy than most! People ran remotely in days without mobiles. What am I supposed to do? Only run when the weather's good or in good signal areas? That's a farce in a rural area. I wear suitable clothing but had a bike ride a couple of years ago to view some rime on the hills where I was in serious fear of hypothermia/frostbite on the descent. You have to be sensible but total risk aversion also risks lives...

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Red warning issued for wind on February 12th 2014
Red warning issued for wind & snow on March 1st 2018

I was just looking for the archive chart for that which I can`t find,I know its not going to be anything like as like a damaging storm here as that gave westerlies.

But for the South SE inland areas this will be a certainly a severe storm,when those cold fronts and squalls hit anybody will be blown off the roof into the next town.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.
8 minutes ago, jimben said:

There will clearly be a lot of power outages tomorrow, folks should also prepare for no electricity for several hours maybe longer depending on how widespread. Elderly neighbours etc 

I've got my fleet of UPS units plugged in. Should be good for light here for a day if it goes off....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Well I'm at work tomorrow with 5 other colleagues. I'm concerned, this isn't a normal winter storm imho. 

I'm finishing work at 3 so will batten down the hatches. Then I've to be in at 8am until 5pm...

Posted
12 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

I never go running without my mobile but my signal is more patchy than most! People ran remotely in days without mobiles. What am I supposed to do? Only run when the weather's good or in good signal areas? That's a farce in a rural area. I wear suitable clothing but had a bike ride a couple of years ago to view some rime on the hills where I was in serious fear of hypothermia/frostbite on the descent. You have to be sensible but total risk aversion also risks lives...

Easy get an exercise bike for when the weather is bad. There isn't any excuse really for putting others at risk just because ones own stupidity. I like walking but you won't see me in the peak district in a blizzard. Neither will I be walking tomorrow if it's windy.

• Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, philglossop said:

Well I'm at work tomorrow with 5 other colleagues. I'm concerned, this isn't a normal winter storm imho. 

I'm finishing work at 3 so will batten down the hatches. Then I've to be in at 8am until 5pm...

Employers duty of care but sadly while the bosses will be nice and safe at home they won't be worried about the employees. I like it when there's freezing rain well hate it really. You get to work and then they tell you to stay in the building and not go out on jobs. Might as well stay at home.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms

Do you think newcastle upon tyne and surrounding areas will miss the worst of this storm? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
20 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Easy get an exercise bike for when the weather is bad. There isn't any excuse really for putting others at risk just because ones own stupidity. I like walking but you won't see me in the peak district in a blizzard. Neither will I be walking tomorrow if it's windy.

Bloody hell mate give us a break!  I am surprised you even leave the house with this attitude.

It is a weather forum with a huge number of extreme weather enthusiasts and this is a Storm thread - not Gardening or Knitting.

If people want to go a walk in a blizzard or severe gales let them get on with it - people have been doing it for thousands of years.

If you have the correct equipment, know the area well, are fit and weather savvy get out there and enjoy whatever weather type/preference you have.

I am heading down to the local beach to experience 60/65mph gusts late afternoon/early evening later. 
Same again tomorrow and then I will be up a 200 meters hill on Monday/Tuesday to indulge in some snowy/squally fun. (Just as I have done safely for years without putting anyone at risk)

I look forward to being out and about in the wild weather today through to Tuesday. 

All the best.

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 9

Posted
3 minutes ago, Nick123 said:

Do you think newcastle upon tyne and surrounding areas will miss the worst of this storm? 

As soon as the isobars turn westerly to North westerly, the Lee of the pennines affect could come into play which can enhance gusts from my experience of living there. Looks like come Sunday evening NE Scotland and NE England could see the strongest of the winds. 

Tuesday morning could be one to watch also as the isobars tighten somewhat again but then by the afternoon winds should start to die down slowly. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
54 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

EURO4 finally siding with ECM/GFS regarding inland gusts and then raising it - even inland spots touching 80mph + the Gloucester area looks around 90mph!

Not liking the sound of that. I'm a gardener with responsibility for a listed parkland that once belonged to Henry VIII, situated not far inland from the Severn Estuary. The estuary works like a funnel at the best of times, the parkland has lots of scheduled veteran and ancient trees, lost one in a storm last year that wasn't anywhere near as bad as what is forecast tomorrow. I fear for my babies.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

As soon as the isobars turn westerly to North westerly, the Lee of the pennines affect could come into play which can enhance gusts from my experience of living there. Looks like come Sunday evening NE Scotland and NE England could see the strongest of the winds. 

Tuesday morning could be one to watch also as the isobars tighten somewhat again but then by the afternoon winds should start to die down slowly. 

Thank you. Just seen the latest bbc forecast and it put particular emphasis on the boarders of scotland getting 85 mph winds. They arent even amber. Its baffling

Posted

Quick canvass of opinions. Been keeping an eye on things from the viewpoint of kids football matches due to take place tomorrow. Given the forecast and Amber warning, should we be expecting parents to drive kids to games to played in a howling gale? To be common sense would say call the games off, but our League secretary is more of a "it's only a bit of wind, it won't hurt them" kind of guy!

Posted
3 minutes ago, Nick123 said:

Thank you. Just seen the latest bbc forecast and it put particular emphasis on the boarders of scotland getting 85 mph winds. They arent even amber. Its baffling

There won't be much disruption in the Borders region of Scotland if they get 85 mph gusts. It's a fairly regular event so homes, walls and even trees and wildlife are used to it. Very rural area away from the coasts too. Likewise the far west and Wales. 85mph in London is knocking on a red warning. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Wivenswold said:

There won't be much disruption in the Borders region of Scotland if they get 85 mph gusts. It's a fairly regular event so homes, walls and even trees and wildlife are used to it. Very rural area away from the coasts too. Likewise the far west and Wales. 85mph in London is knocking on a red warning. 

Umm i think 85mph is dangerous whether its a built up area or not. Still could cause branches falling or even trees which could danger life. Yes i agree its more unusual for london - but i still think it merits an amber in the boarders and maybe the NE. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, stripeyfox said:

Quick canvass of opinions. Been keeping an eye on things from the viewpoint of kids football matches due to take place tomorrow. Given the forecast and Amber warning, should we be expecting parents to drive kids to games to played in a howling gale? To be common sense would say call the games off, but our League secretary is more of a "it's only a bit of wind, it won't hurt them" kind of guy!

No. If the League Secretary is too narrow minded to remember that it's not just a match, it's preparation, travel (particularly for the away team) time away from home where its safest. If he's a "It's only a bit of wind" kind of guy, you can be a "What liability insurance does the league have in case of injuries, damage, public liability if we follow your professional advice?" kind of a guy. 

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, Wivenswold said:

An 85mph gust is an 85mph gust, its irrelevant whether people are used to it or not, people need to be made aware that with those gusts there is a danger to life. As the forecast alludes though, it won't be those type of gusts all day, more Sunday evening time really. 

Bee interesting too see what gusts we will reach though, I suspect the risk of 80mph winds will be for a limited time rather than an all day event. The 50 to 60mph winds might be quite prolonged however. 

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

My league just called off all games for tomorrow (Chelmsford, Essex area)

• Like 1