Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Ciara - Atlantic storm 3

Summer Sun

Posted
1 minute ago, Lisa Martin said:

Can anyone advise ref the current possible timings? I'm going down to Shropshire from Sheffield this morning and travelling back tomorrow and I'm driving with my little boy who's 9 months so want to try and plan the best possible time to travel 

Tomorrow morning looks the worst time. If it was me, I'd delay driving back until after lunchtime. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

6z rolling in, update to predicted wind gusts coming shortly....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

The GFS 6z has 60-70mph winds  across pretty much the whole of England, Wales at 10:00am Sunday.

image.thumb.png.0ff4452db659d4c3099966962d7da935.png

10 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Tomorrow morning looks the worst time. If it was me, I'd delay driving back until after lunchtime. 

Thanks a lot, we were planning on staying till around 1 or 2 and then heading back north. It's mostly motorway but there's a good few miles between Shrewsbury and where I'm going of country B roads that I'm not looking forward to

Posted

Amber warning across most of England and all of Wales

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Finally. Although what the hell they're playing at not including the Central Belt of Scotland I have no idea. Could be 70-80mph gusts through heavily populated areas.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Convective Weather and Snow
1 minute ago, Cold Winter said:

Amber warning across most of England and all of Wales

Sorry just realised I posted exactly same thing as you wasn't looking sorry!

Posted

GFS 6z sticks with gusts up to 70mph quite widely with 75mph possible in a few spots even inland. Max gusts perhaps slightly reducing peak gusts compared to 0z but it’s so minimal they’re effectively the same.

Edited by Cold Winter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
3 minutes ago, Cold Winter said:

GFS 6z sticks with gusts up to 70mph quite widely with 75mph possible in a few spots even inland. Max gusts perhaps slightly reducing peak gusts compared to 0z but it’s so minimal they’re effectively the same.

The model consistency with this has been impressive.

• Like 6

Posted

Max wind gust chart for 12:00 tomorrow on GFS 6z

2FCB97F1-392A-4F6D-B5B1-A05A6137E333.jpeg

Posted

MWIS for the Peak District: 

Southwesterly, in range 50 to 70mph, threat gusts 80-90mph higher terrain.

Very difficult conditions, any mobility tortuous on higher terrain. Severe wind chill.

Precipitation may be near-constant, heavy or torrential rain for sustained periods.

• Like 2

Posted
16 hours ago, Wivenswold said:

Yes it makes absolute operational and safety sense. Though for a laugh, do have a look through Train Companies' Twitter feeds to get a sense of the national feeling of self importance "We can send a rocket to the moon but one bit of wind and all the trains are cancelled" and "I'm important and 15 mins late getting to York. It's a disgrace" and even "Rail Company cancelled all the trains and it's not even that windy where i live" -type comments. 

Although I agree with the majority of joe public on twitter being absolute morons and having no reason to complain this time around, I fully support their negative stance on our rail companies In general who along with network rail are nothing short of atrocious.

i commuted for years on South West Trains and then later South Western Railway and the service was so awful it forced me to save up, buy a car and learn to drive. 
There was a solid 3 week period at one point where I was late to work every single day - and not only that, I had to pay through the nose for the privilege. 

I genuinely hate South Western Railway and I hope they go bust.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

I'm confused....just looked at new amber warning, METO say max gusts 50-55mph here in Somerset on top of the mendip hills. But the latest chart above suggests much higher. Anyone have any idea which is the most likely?

Posted
5 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Although I agree with the majority of joe public on twitter being absolute morons and having no reason to complain this time around, I fully support their negative stance on our rail companies In general who along with network rail are nothing short of atrocious.

i commuted for years on South West Trains and then later South Western Railway and the service was so awful it forced me to save up, buy a car and learn to drive. 
There was a solid 3 week period at one point where I was late to work every single day - and not only that, I had to pay through the nose for the privilege. 

I genuinely hate South Western Railway and I hope they go bust.

The current franchising system is bust, as for Network Rail, 50 years of under investment in our Railways has led to this point. I highly recommend making sure your MP is aware of your anger, because pretty much every problem with our railways lies at the door of Government and the Department for Transport. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

The duration of these strong winds is truly impressive. My area is down for gusts of wind at 40 and 50mph plus from late tonight until the early hours of Tuesday morning. 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, jethro said:

I'm confused....just looked at new amber warning, METO say max gusts 50-55mph here in Somerset on top of the mendip hills. But the latest chart above suggests much higher. Anyone have any idea which is the most likely?

Are you looking at the app data? Just go with what they say in the warning instead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Plymouth

Gale Warning: Gale warning issued 8 February 03:46 UTC (Open)

Southwesterly severe gale force 9 expected later

Wind

Westerly backing southwesterly 5 or 6, increasing 7 to severe gale 9 later.

Sea State

Moderate or rough, becoming rough or very rough.

Weather

Showers, rain later.

Visibility

Good, occasionally poor later.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
8 minutes ago, Cold Winter said:

Are you looking at the app data? Just go with what they say in the warning instead.

No, online warning. The chart you posted above suggests 65-68mph, METO 50-55mph. I know that's not a lot of difference but it's left me wondering.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, jethro said:

No, online warning. The chart you posted above suggests 65-68mph, METO 50-55mph. I know that's not a lot of difference but it's left me wondering.

The Amber warning covers your area and if you read the text of it in the ‘further details’ section, it says “60-70mph quite widely”. 50-60mph is mentioned in the yellow warning but for you the amber warning has now superseded this.

Edited by Cold Winter
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Details of extended AMBER for Sunday and other warnings

Channel Islands, Isle of Man 

feb07pressuresun12tri.png
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

A step by step guide to where will be wet, windiest or even see snow. There is quite a collection of warnings already issued for Storm Ciara this weekend, a major weather event into next week.

feb08amberwide.png

feb08ciwind.png

feb08iomwarn.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
9 minutes ago, jethro said:

Not sure they have updated the text yet as its still largely the same as yesterday. I would go with the other sources if you need to take action now.

Edited by cowdog
  • Like 2