Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

UK snow next week

qwertyK

Posted

GFS and WXCharts predicting quite a lot of snow next week, will cover most of the North, Ireland, the southwest and parts of the south and Midlands. Met office seems to be denying it or downplaying it though

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

GFS and WXCharts predicting quite a lot of snow next week, will cover most of the North, Ireland, the southwest and parts of the south and Midlands. Met office seems to be denying it or downplaying it though

Im seeing this also from meteox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny summers and snowy winters
55 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

probably because it won't affect london and the south east?!

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, username home said:

probably because it won't affect london and the south east?!

It's still affecting the rest of the country, goes as far south as Devon. 

Posted

Have you checked the freezing levels for further South? Itll be over the hills and moors across the South, doubt much will get down at lower levels, always GFS charts with caution. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

When it comes in to the timeframe of the higher resolution models, you'll see how pointless it is looking at lower resolution precip/precip-type charts. At the moment, there's nothing pointing to widespread snow.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

No snow.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Right now it’s showers in a pretty strong flow so western hills may see accumulation but I’m only expecting short falling snow showers here.

• Like 2

Posted

image.thumb.png.d4beaaffa250e07f2016f89ba704e24c.pngimage.thumb.png.077455adeaed1912dbc6abe91713f945.pngimage.thumb.png.7f24cc36fa34a34a791ad9f6a8cddb48.pngimage.thumb.png.7d248c46a65808fbda19b61f035c32da.pngimage.thumb.png.87b4fb6d5a3174a81fa15f0798625d71.pngimage.thumb.png.405631bb7171d3b9b247184780c09ac4.png

I just picked the map times that looked a bit more dramatic but most bits in between have a bit of snow on exposed areas to north and west. Whilst snow is showing all week in the usual sorts of NW high places, it's still looking more like cold drain or sleet for S/SE low ground.

Edited by Aleman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
48 minutes ago, Aleman said:

image.thumb.png.d4beaaffa250e07f2016f89ba704e24c.pngimage.thumb.png.077455adeaed1912dbc6abe91713f945.pngimage.thumb.png.7f24cc36fa34a34a791ad9f6a8cddb48.pngimage.thumb.png.7d248c46a65808fbda19b61f035c32da.pngimage.thumb.png.87b4fb6d5a3174a81fa15f0798625d71.pngimage.thumb.png.405631bb7171d3b9b247184780c09ac4.png

I just picked the map times that looked a bit more dramatic but most bits in between have a bit of snow on exposed areas to north and west. Whilst snow is showing all week in the usual sorts of NW high places, it's still looking more like cold drain or sleet for S/SE low ground.

That's all the southeast needs........more cold drains

Posted
12 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

That's all the southeast needs........more cold drains

I doubt very much the SE will see snow this 'winter' now.

Those in the north and west with altitude may see snow showers tue/wed..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I doubt very much the SE will see snow this 'winter' now.

Those in the north and west with altitude may see snow showers tue/wed..

Yes winter was over a long time ago down here, so much for low solar activity and predictions from scientists that we were going to have frequent cold snaps from the east and north east. The weather makes fools of us all.

• Like 1

Posted
47 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Yes winter was over a long time ago down here, so much for low solar activity and predictions from scientists that we were going to have frequent cold snaps from the east and north east. The weather makes fools of us all.

When my lazy eyes look back at histerical cold snaps (in Europe), I get the impression they seem to follow solar minima by to 2-3 years. Of course, we are at a solar minumum now, but solar output will be low for another couple of years yet so tropical seas might still be expected to have some more cooling to go - and then it takes a while for North Atlantic currents to bring those cooler than average tropical waters up here. Of course, the weather makes our forecasts look foolish, but I'd hazard the guess that our next cold winters wlll maybe be 2022 and/or 2023 but that's just my simple interruption of some histerical data.

Edited by Aleman
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Sure.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Aleman said:

When my lazy eyes look back at histerical cold snaps (in Europe), I get the impression they seem to follow solar minima by to 2-3 years. Of course, we are at a solar minumum now, but solar output will be low for another couple of years yet so tropical seas might still be expected to have some more cooling to go - and then it takes a while for North Atlantic currents to bring those cooler than average tropical waters up here. Of course, the weather makes our forecasts look foolish, but I'd hazard the guess that our next cold winters wlll maybe be 2022 and/or 2023 but that's just my simple interruption of some histerical data.

The thing I don't get is what ever happened to one of the coldest winters in 30 years as predicted here: https://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/id/eprint/10080518/