Jump to content

Model output discussion 02/02/20


Recommended Posts

This might be a bit off topic, but has Spain and Italy randomly decided to grow a pair of eyes and eyebrows? 

It looks a bit confused about something by the looks of it ?

0.thumb.png.faeaebc92f41ed24543b65df9a26c307.png

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A pretty lively weekend to come for the UK. Storm Dennis will impact the UK at the weekend, although it won't be as powerful as Storm Ciara. It is being powered once again by a very powerful jet strea

Im 'personally ' logging of now until October \November...and I honestly pray\hope that when I return...things will be a little better at least for our overall situation.!!! I wish you all happiness..

Sorry. But i think its time to stop all this now. None of us know what weather the virus prefers. Its new. I come on here to escape the 'expert opinion " on Covid 19, please  can we just continue with

Posted Images

Looking at the latest models the ECM 0z operational is in no mood to settle down, indeed its cranking up for a further bout of very unsettled weather @ T+240 hours, the GFS 0z op ends anticyclonic, the GEFS 0z mean eventually goes for a north / south split..for a time with some drier weather further south and finally, looking at the longer term perturbations there is potential for a wintry sting in the tail around mid March but also some spring like options..the duality of early spring.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

When has the ECMWF ever been right at day 10 though?

P.S. would it be an idea to have a fresh thread for the first day of meteorological spring?

Edited by Alexis
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alexis said:

When has the ECMWF ever been right at day 10 though?

P.S. would it be an idea to have a fresh thread for the first day of meteorological spring?

It verifies as the best model consistently. You’d back it over gfs at day 10 every day and twice on a Sunday!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

High pressure is needed but I can't help feel that we are being suckered by GFS

gh500_20200301_00_240.jpg

Look at ECM at 240hrs

gh500_20200301_00_240.jpg

GEM

gh500_20200301_00_240.jpg

That, Mr D, is always a possibility. But, for now, better weather still looks like arriving on or around 10/3:

 h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

As Jon Snow keeps saying, it's all down to the 'duality of Spring'!:oldgood:

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking fairly average to me... im not buying the GFS more settled outlook, because the NOAA Anomaly charts retain high pressure to our near southwest towards mid month, The SPV is still expected to be very strong and not start to ease for the next 3 weeks, the MJO (ec version) heads to phase 4 of which the composit for march can be seen in the centre. That is eerily similar to this ECM chart for t240.

strat.thumb.jpg.5efcfb16d8db467f08fc9e9d6f882955.jpg

814day.03.gif

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

It verifies as the best model consistently. You’d back it over gfs at day 10 every day and twice on a Sunday!

At day 10 I’d say no more than a 10% chance of verifying. You only have to look at all of the let-downs in this thread over the years.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kept out if this thread all February. Anyhow.. what are the models showing, more if the same.. unsettled chilly conditions, heights to the sw and a broadly west-NW airflow. Bouts of wind and rain, with chance of temporary spells of snow at fairly low levels in the north. Longer term signs might see a ridge build in from the sw, but with such a strong Polar vortex knocking on its door likelihood it will be quickly shunted back sw and another disturbed spell takes over with a cold northerly shot following on before mid month. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Still on for an improvement by mid-March...But, would that shift (it looks rather minor in the great scheme of things?) even register on NOAA's upper-wind charts?

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

It [the weather, not NOAA's chart!:oops:] would, however, still dry things out??

 

 

Edited by General Cluster
clarity
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

The latest run of the GEM isn't really showing much in terms of snow tomorrow. Maybe sleet.

snow.thumb.png.65f778a1e7b582b0827fa58589f335bc.pngsnow0.thumb.png.81d423135f1bb71ea4cdf18b489fbdbc.pngsnow1.thumb.png.f0f85bfeea68bfce62797c83a5cfe593.png

The GFS, on the other hand, is showing the rain tracking the same route as the GEM, but it has some snow falling in only one area of the rain.

I think snow accumulations tomorrow over lower ground aren't likely. Probably a bit of slush at best.

snow2.thumb.png.2010907635f86e6840273789264a924e.pngsnow3.thumb.png.e359e1b4f8c3cf6a36c07355e3ec6808.pngsnow4.thumb.png.b08cbc0a0477acca7808ab62cc67a5c4.png

And then later into March, the signs of more settled and perhaps warmer weather could be possible.

Perhaps the north could be treated to a bit cold weather and perhaps scattered sleet/snow showers, while the south could be treated to some settled weather, so basically, it's a north and south split.

snow5.thumb.png.b07750212249b335864fc9d96f32472c.pngsnow6.thumb.png.509bd1ce10cef1d04727868cb7403833.pngsnow7.thumb.png.b839e713359f6d0b02961637262611f8.pngsnow8.thumb.png.b44b02df0445412d2e311ca52c72e581.png

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well folks today is officially Spring, that can mean only one thing.... Let the winter chase begin.. ? This spell of settled weather GFS has been flagging up lately.... Well, I'm not so sure! More and more ensembles keep high pressure to the S/SW. A load more rain is the last thing I want, but I feel we could be trending a tad more unsettled than previously thought! Still some wintry surprises in the offing to... 

gens-4-1-216.png

gens-5-1-204.png

gens-5-0-216.png

gens-8-0-228.png

gens-8-1-240.png

gens-18-1-264.png

gens-20-1-276.png

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Nick F said:

03z UKV (which goes to T+120), like the 00z UKMO-GM, shows a channel low for Thursday, which it indicates sleet/snow on the N and NW flank of the rain shield as it moves east.

viewimage-35.thumb.png.ee24946952116829bb9aafa279d3e6ef.png

viewimage-36.thumb.png.de6da8764af1fbf5b899c0bc3c8c4bb2.png

00z/06z GFS and 00z EC track the low east much further south entering western France from the Bay of Biscay.

Be interesting to see if subsequent runs of GFS and EC correct the low further north, as UKMO has performed quite well with the trickier tracks of these secondary lows at 4-5 day range recently.

Looking at the 50 00z EPS members for mslp Thursday morning more than a third show low crossing east over southern counties, or English Channel or far N of France.

Tonight some back edge sleet and wet snow looks possible over southern counties of England, with the wave low running along the south coast, wet snow most likely over higher ground such as Mendips, Cotswolds, Wiltshire Downs and Chilterns. 

Wintry showers across the north and west at times too over next few days, with snow falling over hills.

 

The question is why is the ukmo outperforming the mighty gfs and ecm at such a short time frame in regards to these channel lows?i personally think ecm will join ukmo this evening with gfs joining in as well!lets see!!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shaky said:

The question is why is the ukmo outperforming the mighty gfs and ecm at such a short time frame in regards to these channel lows?i personally think ecm will join ukmo this evening with gfs joining in as well!lets see!!

As it is a short range model the UKV is run at higher horizontal resolution than EC and GFS, so perhaps why it could be doing better at short range with more mesoscale features.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Nick F said:

As it is a short range model the UKV is run at higher horizontal resolution than EC and GFS, so perhaps why it could be doing better at short range with more mesoscale features.

Sorry let me rephrase that i meant to say the ukmo global model that runs out to 144 hours!!!seems to  out do the ecm and gfs quite often even at short range!!!whats the ukv showing for tonight with that potential snowfall for the south east?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Euro4 still going for a period of snow tomorrow morning, the model seems to over do the snowfall though these days. None the less places like the Chilterns/Cotswolds might see some wet snow and a temporary covering in the heavier PPN.

 

20030203_0106.gif

20030203_0106.gif

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Nick F said:

As it is a short range model the UKV is run at higher horizontal resolution than EC and GFS, so perhaps why it could be doing better at short range with more mesoscale features.

It should do, assuming the global model providing the boundary conditions performs accurately.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, shaky said:

Sorry let me rephrase that i meant to say the ukmo global model that runs out to 144 hours!!!seems to  out do the ecm and gfs quite often even at short range!!!whats the ukv showing for tonight with that potential snowfall for the south east?

UKMO and UKV are part of the same unified model as far as I'm aware, just UKV is run at higher res than its global parent, so picks up mesoscale stuff better than lesser res models  at short range, but not as far out. Not sure why UKMO global is outperforming in the short range, they must have some secret in their supercomputers. 

Nothing too exciting for tonight, maybe some snow over higher ground in the south, as I mentioned a few posts back.

viewimage-37.thumb.png.8fe57374c60b62441b4beffb1ac43584.png

viewimage-38.thumb.png.86483549747a529193e07fdf609c2c32.png

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like quite a nasty storm off the coast of Greenland. The models don't show the possible storm to hit us (thankfully) but instead, it fizzles out as it travels to Iceland.

storm.thumb.png.721eca1e18fd72d864a6d4d5390a8187.pngstorm0.thumb.png.75e934b7ae6db13afc43b157e2b14d43.pngstorm1.thumb.png.aebbde402f9812418abbe90dfe17185e.png

We just need the next 4-5 runs to show something similar to the 06z run. Due to all the floods and saturated ground this year, having another storm knocking on our doorstep isn't what we all like!!

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nick F said:

UKMO and UKV are part of the same unified model as far as I'm aware, just UKV is run at higher res than its global parent, so picks up mesoscale stuff better than lesser res models  at short range, but not as far out. Not sure why UKMO global is outperforming in the short range, they must have some secret in their supercomputers. 

Nothing too exciting for tonight, maybe some snow over higher ground in the south, as I mentioned a few posts back.

viewimage-37.thumb.png.8fe57374c60b62441b4beffb1ac43584.png

viewimage-38.thumb.png.86483549747a529193e07fdf609c2c32.png

Just to comment on a point of interest from Nick's post, here's a look at the models performance over the NH as a whole, then at the moment, day 6/T144 it looks like this:

image.thumb.jpg.b8fb551c3e3144bbbbfaa4414f5e62db.jpg

ECM in front, with UKMO, GFS and GEM in joint second place. What these stats don't show is how the models are performing in a more localized region like the UK.  There isn't really any data on this that I know of, but it kind of stands to reason that the GFS may be better suited to scenarios that affect the US, and the UKMO better suited to scenarios that affect the UK, because that is the purpose of each model.  That's my impression from my decade or so watching the models, that the UKMO is probably the best model for things that affect us!

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Just to comment on a point of interest from Nick's post, here's a look at the models performance over the NH as a whole, then at the moment, day 6/T144 it looks like this:

image.thumb.jpg.b8fb551c3e3144bbbbfaa4414f5e62db.jpg

 

You can see from that chart how bad the CFS is, if it's so far out at T144 you can forget the rest, not even worth looking at.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, snowray said:

You can see from that chart how bad the CFS is, if it's so far out at T144 you can forget the rest, not even worth looking at.

Yes, but short to medium range weather prediction is not what the CFS is for.  What you see there compared to GFS is probably the much coarser resolution, because the CFS has to do other stuff as well i.e. model the oceans.  It is designed to model both the atmosphere and oceans in order, when run probabilistically, to predict increased or decreased likelihood of certain scenarios over months.  

Which is why I always laugh when someone posts charts from a single CFS run - no good, it has to be treated probabilistically. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Yes, but short to medium range weather prediction is not what the CFS is for.  What you see there compared to GFS is probably the much coarser resolution, because the CFS has to do other stuff as well i.e. model the oceans.  It is designed to model both the atmosphere and oceans in order, when run probabilistically, to predict increased or decreased likelihood of certain scenarios over months.  

Which is why I always laugh when someone posts charts from a single CFS run - no good, it has to be treated probabilistically. 

I always view the CFS probabilistically, Mike: I just assume that it'll probably be wrong!:oldlaugh:

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

The GFS 12z takes on Monday morning:

monday.thumb.png.097e922a92ca7d11302ef68296d56ebe.pngmonday0.thumb.png.c08f43fca38290d03dac6dd1715e2a6f.pngmonday1.thumb.png.45d6d4174f341af709d4d9d33b79abb8.png

I doubt that the sleet/snow will be that widespread but it is a nice chart to look at especially for the south nevertheless.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...