Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 02/02/20

phil nw.

Posted

Back to reality this morning . Not sure this is the end of any wedge type area of heights developing to the n/ne because the opportunity is still there but delayed .

I think it shows though how complicated these scenarios are when you’re trying to advect cold into the UK from a small wedge of high pressure .

As for the Channel Low , still a lot of uncertainty with that feature . 

The ICON 06 hrs run has corrected the low a bit further north .

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
38 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Back to reality this morning . Not sure this is the end of any wedge type area of heights developing to the n/ne because the opportunity is still there but delayed .

I think it shows though how complicated these scenarios are when you’re trying to advect cold into the UK from a small wedge of high pressure .

As for the Channel Low , still a lot of uncertainty with that feature . 

Yes agreed playing around with no ample blocking..and relying on transitional wedge placement is fruaght...although trawling through this morning...we are by far at the best place for any notable winter like weather countrywide..for the next 14 days than we have been all season....let's see where we head today!?..   Although worth an eye on possible rises to Scandinavian sector a tad further on also.

gfs-ens_z500a_eu_24.png

gfs-ens_z500a_eu_16.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Looking at the GEFS 0z mean it’s an unsettled outlook but as we head further into March there are signs that heights from the Azores will encroach towards southern britain meaning more of a north / south split with the jet pushed further north. 

9886EF57-F07D-4580-8548-9DCECDBAE35B.thumb.png.b36a0080fc2896e3953bf2ea614fbb4e.png

Edited by JON SNOW
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
28 minutes ago, JON SNOW said:

Looking at the GEFS 0z mean it’s an unsettled outlook but as we head further into March there are signs that heights from the Azores will encroach towards southern britain meaning more of a north / south split with the jet pushed further north. 

9886EF57-F07D-4580-8548-9DCECDBAE35B.thumb.png.b36a0080fc2896e3953bf2ea614fbb4e.png

Aye Karl; whatever happens, we could do with losing the tight temperature-gradient?

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

Otherwise, it'll be rain, rain and more rain!

Yep...More rain!

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
6 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

Saturday looking very interesting. Hope this happens . But I won’t get my hopes up as it’s the gfs

233F350F-3381-43DC-95E7-9F6137833770.png

7CDBDB66-0668-49FB-86E1-670FD729FCCF.png

94D7BC00-E54E-4C8C-9DD1-B9C70434FE0A.png

These gfs precip charts will be on the money @5/6 days out 1 day...let's hopenows the time!!!.. As for any north \South defined sp!it in temperature gradient...it's far early to say!..especially with divergence in the overall evolution atm..

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 5

Posted
7 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

Saturday looking very interesting. Hope this happens . But I won’t get my hopes up as it’s the gfs

233F350F-3381-43DC-95E7-9F6137833770.png

7CDBDB66-0668-49FB-86E1-670FD729FCCF.png

94D7BC00-E54E-4C8C-9DD1-B9C70434FE0A.png

Looks like an upgrade on the 00z that?!!saturdays continues to be forecasted as a snowy day across parts of england!!i personally think it wont happen but its nice to look at anyway!!

• Like 1

Posted

The Channel Low evolution this morning from the 06 hrs outputs out so far .

Compared to their 00hrs runs .

GFS further south 

Arpege further north 

Icon further north 

The stakes would be higher if it was a guaranteed snow maker on its northern flank , it’s marginal but I suppose it would still be better if it did land so we could see what happened !

• Like 7

Posted
18 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

GFS further south 

Arpege further north 

Icon further north 

The stakes would be higher if it was a guaranteed snow maker on its northern flank , it’s marginal but I suppose it would still be better if it did land so we could see what happened !

Having a quick look through the GFS Ensembles  there is very much still a lot to be resolved   some bring the low on a southerly track   and some bring it further north slightly more deep   bringing heavy snow to the middle of the country   One to keep an eye on   

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Now this, at T+357 ('nuff said?:oldlaugh:) would be welcome to many, I'm sure...a wonderful chance for some drying-out!;)

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Why on earth can't we get high pressure form other than at the Azores or over Europe!?!...all I see is low pressure everywhere to the north and west or over us even when there is not a rampant jet!...warmer North Atlantic? (2018/19 winter also the case).

• Like 1

Posted
38 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

GFS further south 

Arpege further north 

Icon further north 

Hope it moves further north but i think 12z shall confirm that it goes through the channel/south coast of england!!

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, shaky said:

Hope it moves further north but i think 12z shall confirm that it goes through the channel/south coast of england!!

It seems as if we might be seeing a middle ground solution .  The ECM though is quite far south compared to the others .

Same old story with these types of lows, I’ve yet to see one which hasn’t caused a drama .

• Like 5

Posted
3 hours ago, shaky said:

Looks like an upgrade on the 00z that?!!saturdays continues to be forecasted as a snowy day across parts of england!!i personally think it wont happen but its nice to look at anyway!!

That puts me ‘almost’ in the sweet spot.  Unlikely but always nice to see!

Edited by Don
  • Like 3

Posted

In terms of that possible snow on Saturday shown by the GFS.

Thats an undercut of colder air so not the more usual precip meeting cold air scenario.

So as ever complicated! 

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Some interest with the 6z ens showing some height rises in the right places! All in all a week to keep glued to the latest forecasts, much uncertainty over the track of low pressure this weekend! One thing I will say is.... This must be the first time this winter things show a little promise! It won't be desperately cold, but we don't need desperate, just the right side of marginal for the white stuff... One thing for sure is it will be feeling alot colder than we have become accustomed to! Fingers crossed for later this week.. And on parting note, the recent warm up over the Antarctica left apart of the continent literally ice free... Pretty amazing, but not necessarily in a good way. 

gfs-0-120.png

gfs-1-126.png

gens-0-1-300.png

gens-7-1-360.png

gens-17-0-324.png

gens-17-1-324.png

06_120_preciptype.png

06_123_preciptype.png

antarctic-ice-22120.gif

Edited by Mattwolves
  • Like 7

Posted

Afternoon all

The GFS 06Z OP has picked up plenty of interest - Control goes in a completely different direction which makes me think the medium to longer term evolution is far from resolved. It's almost expected that in the absence of a clear signal GFS FI will default to a zonal Atlantic scenario and so it proves.

Yet both OP and Control have support in the Ensembles so it's heads I win, tails you lose at the moment as to whether a tropospheric led change is likely in the second week of next month. 

The other change is the growing signal for a new warming at the very edge of FI - we've been here before but it's in the OP rather than being led by Control so I give it more credence. It also appears to be originating from the Canadian side which would support a vortex push into Siberia and perhaps some opportunities in mid to late March for us if the dice fall right. I'm also pleased to see Control following along however.