Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 02/02/20

phil nw.

Posted
1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

Surprised this place isn’t a bit busier !

People don't want to be led up the garden path, I suppose?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
3 minutes ago, Don said:

True. Think wedges to our NE is our best bet for now, could see more of a block develop later on in March though. If energy can be pushed SE and we stay in the colder air then some wintry surprises could well be on the cards. It seems to me that Midlands, Wales and places north will do best but you never know.

By late April and into May a substantial Scandi high will most likely establish itself, you wait and see.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The ECM 0z ensemble mean indicates a very unsettled / disturbed outlook and predominantly rather cold, especially further north with some frost / ice, a few milder interludes across southern uk. I expect some areas will see snow next week, mainly further north and with elevation but even across the south some occasional wintry ness can’t be ruled out but it seems there’s plenty more rain to come for the foreseeable future but probably less windy with time.

9B808596-D525-4369-AB55-3EE988EAAF92.thumb.gif.a2dec9bde9440462e5b26d78c3d09fb7.gif92DAE51F-D9C7-42C1-9F9F-8A5AE5EB118A.thumb.gif.0ee128f96f1951ec86b251c67d9d95a0.gifCB24BC38-9D14-4F7F-9B6D-BEBF96B8B165.thumb.gif.19a6745a43dcf50aaf0df36eaaea2b13.gif980FFB1A-1BBF-42B6-A402-C5BE9AF712A5.thumb.gif.6a0fdf21167a4c961e68c4adf463ccde.gif47B655BB-6DB1-490D-BC30-09E22B97D6EA.thumb.gif.f9c4645bcb053059a4aa0b9522bd93a8.gif4956FC3B-E49B-429A-8CF9-CB4ADE1A56E1.thumb.gif.4de797612f5f61bdfc916457441ae486.gif8DD7B285-7FE0-4BBC-BB85-4A0DE5B33688.thumb.gif.eacbc6bd41c2e25e4a37307663516ad1.gif8F398A8E-A46D-4D23-807C-BBCBCA371D12.thumb.gif.647a99e7188fdf3b5619f2f85da615c7.gif

Edited by JON SNOW
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
15 minutes ago, Don said:

I hear you on that Don. My garden path is fortunately as long as the M6 corridor don't want to get ya hopes up mate, but Check out p19... Come to papa!!! The mean remains quite chilly to!! Cold spring anyone!! 

gens-19-0-240.png

gens-19-0-264.png

gens-19-1-252.png

gens-19-0-372.png

gens-19-1-360.png

graphe3_1000_272_92___.png

• Like 8

Posted
On 18/02/2020 at 14:18, igloo said:

Not true I'm in South Western Scotland  granted the southern uplands.had snow a few times this season just last week 10cm for a few days.way better than last season.but still it's way disappointing than decades ago.

Depends where you are, but there's been hee haw here for 2 years. It tries, but it's less and less every year. 

Posted

Afternoon all

Not much to add to what has already been said. The morning ECM 00Z OP certainly looked a chilly run especially for the north with milder incursions further south so not a huge change from what we've seen.

The GFS 06Z OP certainly was a chilly offering - the jet heading south putting us on the cold side of the trough so secondary LP systems crossing the south means more rain and snow to northern hills and especially Scottish mountains. FI goes off on a bit of a tangent so we'll see.

Control, it has to be said, keeps the jet that bit further north - the key, as I said yesterday, is the extent to which the Azores HP ridges into Europe. If said HP is held back in the Atlantic and the LP can move ESE into Europe supported by a build of pressure into Eurasia the trough becomes negatively aligned and we stay on the colder side. If the HP heads into Europe, the alignment goes positive and TM air spreads across the British Isles and into Europe. 

It looks a chilly and unsettled week to come though rain amounts don't look that great which I find surprising given the synoptics.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Pretty much as you were - cold but not excessively so except for a very cold and exceptionally snowy no.19.

image.thumb.png.dda27939c337c77ead0e5cb4449761fc.png

Edited by Blessed Weather
ECM chart removed. Wasn't intended by poster.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Pretty much as you were - cold but not excessively so except for a very cold and exceptionally snowy no.19.

image.thumb.png.dda27939c337c77ead0e5cb4449761fc.png

And about as likely to verify as scoring 19 in a game of cribbage?

Edited by Blessed Weather
Ditto above
  • Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

Surprised this place isn’t a bit busier !

In the UK although northern blocking is always the best option for snow these wedges of heights to the n/ne can still provide that .

As long as you stay on the northern side of the jet and any shortwaves which run east se  are quite shallow you can see snow on the northern flank of those .

As I stressed though in my previous post that re amplification upstream is crucial to help direct the energy se which allows any wedge to develop to the n/ne .

Anyway lets see what tonights outputs produce.

Think we're fed up Nick!

This winter is now a write off - looking for warmth now!

• Like 5

Posted
13 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Think we're fed up Nick!

This winter is now a write off - looking for warmth now!

Agreed the winter has been a complete write off but March especially early on can still deliver something wintry.

Of course unless we get something outlandish like 2018 then we have to lower expectations as to what can be achieved as we are battling the increase in solar energy.

I understand people are fed up and rightly so . Let’s see what transpires over the next few runs . 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

The southerners could wake to a covering on snow Wednesday morning according to the Icon.

image.thumb.png.ac9222e62deac433ce36dc2290632446.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
11 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

The southerners could wake to a covering on snow Wednesday morning according to the Icon.

Well lets hope for something widespread so that everyone can enjoy some snow! 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
19 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Well lets hope for something widespread so that everyone can enjoy some snow! 

And the GFS 12z has this for the SE.

gfs-0-168.png

gfs-1-168.png

gfs-2-168.png

gfs-16-168.png

• Like 6

Posted
37 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

Latest GFS currently showing wintry showers further south and across the UK from Monday through until a week from now. 

@snowray got there ahead of me! 

Edited by Griff
  • Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Over the next few days We need to keep an eye on this air mass at day 6 > for its direction of travel > No mega high pressure so CAA will be slow rather than fast > but potential to strike the UK

Just thinking that, looks very messy and could be marginal but could potentially be very snowy with a shortwave just stalling over us in around -8c

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Griff said:

Latest GFS currently showing wintry showers further south and across the UK from Monday through until a week from now. 

@snowray got there ahead of me! 

Quite a few snow chances in fact, and not exactly in FI la la land either.:oldgood:

42-574UK.gif

81-574UK.gif

84-574UK.gif

90-574UK.gif

162-574UK.gif

168-574UK.gif

45-780UK.gif

90-780UK.gif

186-780UK.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
4 minutes ago, Griff said:

Indeed.. With the daylight getting longer as well, it's nice being able to watch snowfall in the early evening. 

• Like 4

Posted

Very interesting run this - as if there wasn't enough interest by this point already, here is the 5th Feb 96 redux chart.

image.thumb.png.7d05bee42ce2163a57d233000556f064.png

• Like 4

Posted

Yes I'm liking this run, at last thank the Lord, who cares if it verifies or not! Just nice to see some eye candy for a change...

Here we go, battleground scenario....

gfs-0-222.png

gfs-1-222.png

228-574UK.gif

234-574UK.gif

234-780UK.gif

Edited by snowray
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Just popped in to talk about a possible pattern change early March but see the forum is already all over it. 

Definitely the potential for a block to form to the NE start of March but given how the rest of the winter has panned out one can't have much faith it will materialise.

Carry on...

I'll continue my winter 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well this afternoon's GFS 12Z is certainly of interest: sleet & snow chances aplenty, over the coming ten days or so -- though who knows when/where?...And that heat is still building, darn saarf, come Day-16!

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

What could possibly go wrong!:oldlaugh:

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

ECM not particularly inspiring this eve > lots of mobility which negates any chances of that deep cold airmass impacting the UK 

Lets hope it sways towards the GFS over the next day or so-

Considering the PV's behaviour and the winter in general, I wouldn't bank on it.  However, yes, lets hope it does follow the GFS very soon!

• Like 2