Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 02/02/20

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

The GEM (in which I got told by many people is a trustworthy model) is also showing a cold spell next week... :oldgood:

gem.png

gem0.png

gem1.png

gem2.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny

It seems to me looking at the models over the past few weeks that we are indeed completely stuck now with this barrage and bombardment of wind, rain, wind, rain, storms ad nausium. 

Am i the only one who feels that this long passage of low pressure systems hurtling across the Atlantic for such a sustained period is very unusual - even for the UK? - taking into account it is (albeit late) winter. I can see no end to this for weeks (or even longer). Is this so unusual?

As an interested model watcher do any of you see any correlation to the dreaded 'Climate Change' ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
1 hour ago, Zak M said:

The GEM (in which I got told by many people is a trustworthy model) is also showing a cold spell next week... :oldgood:

gem.png

gem0.png

gem1.png

gem2.png

Cold and wet, I can’t get too excited I’ll be honest...  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
45 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Brrr... 

winter.png

winter0.png

winter1.png

More like

• Like 6

Posted
Just now, Thundershine said:

More like

• Like 1

Posted

A variation on a theme so far on the latest GFS, suggestion of a building of heights out over greenland, interesting to see if that goes anywhere... 

gfsnh-0-174.png

gfsnh-0-180.png

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, shaky said:

Another cold and wintry gfs for next week!!finally something to look forward to!!a bit late but better than nothing!

Larger cold pool to the NW, but is it cold enough? 

Edit.... Actually yes, perhaps! 

So no guarantees and might be marginal away from the north, but a trend in the right direction. 

gfsnh-1-198.png

gfsnh-1-210.png

gfsnh-0-216.png

Edited by Griff
  • Like 6

Posted

Now that's more like it!!! :clapping:

snow.thumb.png.a68e17bf9fce3559391276ed71c0dba7.png

snow0.thumb.png.a396daca311600da90b0743c698a55a7.png

snow1.thumb.png.9409cc1e782ce9a17048645da6259d1c.png

snow2.thumb.png.787010f9130cd4db137bd0b47b5ce373.png

snow3.thumb.png.a7aa193871a0df8cbd66fe3e0a7f18bd.png

snow4.thumb.png.c130770032899a9a77f5fdf7ad16b402.png

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Griff said:

A variation on a theme so far on the latest GFS, suggestion of a building of heights out over greenland, interesting to see if that goes anywhere... 

gfsnh-0-174.png

gfsnh-0-180.png

There's no building of heights over Greenland on them charts.  Just a little amplification.

You need yellow colours for higher heights.

Edited by joggs

Posted
Just now, joggs said:

There's no building of heights over Greenland on them charts.  Just a little amplification.

"suggestion of a building of heights out over greenland, interesting to see if that goes anywhere..."

Posted
Just now, Griff said:

"suggestion of a building of heights out over greenland, interesting to see if that goes anywhere..."

Sorry. No suggestion of it either.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

To be honest I'm not getting the vibe, comparison of the 12z suite at T144:

image.thumb.jpg.a5255efc72658c3946a9c15182ec746a.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.cb887ed42d0e696b4f22aadbd5df1139.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.3d20ca660ce22c87e2ab1e3060f5d52b.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.90d1e4226a267e10e3da4da073a8860c.jpg

GEM by far the best for cold, but even then, T850s:

image.thumb.jpg.476e901854038593562a93a731660fd7.jpg

Trying to interpret the op models, I'm not sure where the amplification that some are seeing is coming from, MJO is deceased:

image.thumb.jpg.0679b00477e9cafeb21a2b47f3b131e8.jpg

Strat vortex is still as strong as nails both now and T240:

image.thumb.jpg.64f7a8cde00e25cc5a75d286956dd62c.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.a94fdde6fe8253437ea70aa0a5f29d06.jpg

I think the winter from hell will indeed continue to beyond the cutoff date of 29th Feb. And something wintry may affect some places in spring, but for us in the south, it would never amount to much, and we'd like some sunny and settled weather.

Finally, good to see you back posting, Karl!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Can't post the ens at the min..but some notable clustering gathering... Beyond the drop line....winter seems to be saving itself ....with perhaps a sting?!

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

To be honest I'm not getting the vibe, comparison of the 12z suite at T144:

image.thumb.jpg.a5255efc72658c3946a9c15182ec746a.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.cb887ed42d0e696b4f22aadbd5df1139.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.3d20ca660ce22c87e2ab1e3060f5d52b.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.90d1e4226a267e10e3da4da073a8860c.jpg

GEM by far the best for cold, but even then, T850s:

image.thumb.jpg.476e901854038593562a93a731660fd7.jpg

Trying to interpret the op models, I'm not sure where the amplification that some are seeing is coming from, MJO is deceased:

image.thumb.jpg.0679b00477e9cafeb21a2b47f3b131e8.jpg

Strat vortex is still as strong as nails both now and T240:

image.thumb.jpg.64f7a8cde00e25cc5a75d286956dd62c.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.a94fdde6fe8253437ea70aa0a5f29d06.jpg

I think the winter from hell will indeed continue to beyond the cutoff date of 29th Feb. And something wintry may affect some places in spring, but for us in the south, it would never amount to much, and we'd like some sunny and settled weather.

Finally, good to see you back posting, Karl!

There plenty of corrective data plots awaiting 1  thinks...and rekonin with upper air spreads b4 3days out is not necessary mike. ..as for the mjo..I've opted out with that 1 weeks back!

Edited by tight isobar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
4 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

There plenty of corrective data plots awaiting 1  thinks...and rekonin with upper air spreads beyond 3days out is not necessary mike. ..as for the mjo..I've opted out with that 1 weeks back!

Well TI, I will await the corrective data plots with interest, and hopefully a snowflake or two to boot!!

We clearly agree re the MJO, but almost everything else favouring snow is in my view polishing the proverbial, at the moment anyway...

• Like 4

Posted

Next week’s charts would hardly get a mention in most winters. It’s looking colder, but anyone getting excited re significant snow will likely be disappointed, unless they live in the north or have some altitude.

• Like 7

Posted
Just now, Mike Poole said:

Well TI, I will await the corrective data plots with interest, and hopefully a snowflake or two to boot!!

We clearly agree re the MJO, but almost everything else favouring snow is in my view polishing the proverbial, at the moment anyway...

The updated March forecast for the USA issued today by NOAA talks quite a lot about the MJO which was surprising .

And they seem to think it’s heading for the Western Hemisphere, even more surprising given that current forecasts bar the CFS don’t look interested at all in even taking it out of the COD.

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The updated March forecast for the USA issued today by NOAA talks quite a lot about the MJO which was surprising .

And they seem to think it’s heading for the Western Hemisphere, even more surprising given that current forecasts bar the CFS don’t look interested at all in even taking it out of the COD.

Even when COD is mentioned...I refuse personally anymore to bother with its plots...I've noticed on microscale it's insignificant....and tbh...even in masscale on a higher percentage. And being a miniscule maritime northern hemisphere island...I've decided to put it out for the bin men!!!! All imo (above)

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 7