Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 02/02/20

phil nw.

Posted
2 hours ago, snowblind said:

Reckon at that range they're overdoing the mild just like they overdo the cold. Expect it will be milder than average but not to the extent shown here.

I certainly wouldn't bet against the mild they are showing!  That's certainly not to say I want them to be correct mind!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Sleet/snow will likely fall to modest levels Monday afternoon/evening across the Midlands/ Wales associated with a little front crossing the country. Winds shown to fall light as it passes

image.thumb.png.912c534f7e0eaaa7ed658009dc9a2056.png

This should support a marginal event- uppers borderline, thickness borderline, but a good chance of seeing some snow fall nonetheless

image.thumb.png.15b03fd1a404aad093d2e83a55f75e55.png

image.thumb.png.c52a8914026a60ed3624dcf6659fa9a8.png

• Like 8

Posted
5 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Sleet/snow will likely fall to modest levels Monday afternoon/evening across the Midlands/ Wales associated with a little front crossing the country. Winds shown to fall light as it passes

image.thumb.png.912c534f7e0eaaa7ed658009dc9a2056.png

This should support a marginal event- uppers borderline, thickness borderline, but a good chance of seeing some snow fall nonetheless

image.thumb.png.15b03fd1a404aad093d2e83a55f75e55.png

image.thumb.png.c52a8914026a60ed3624dcf6659fa9a8.png

I suspect this could be the snow of the winter for many?  Not in the far south mind.

Posted
1 minute ago, Don said:

I suspect this could be the snow of the winter for many?  Not in the far south mind.

Well all the ingredients are there for a period of heavy, wet snow.

Won't stick for most but will be nice to see it fall.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Well I was mocked, yesterday, for calling a 'heatwave' (half jokingly) but, in relative terms, it still looks far more likely than this phantom northerly some on here were seeing

Awful, especially that a horrible spring will likely follow

Edited by LRD
  • Like 3

Posted
27 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Well all the ingredients are there for a period of heavy, wet snow.

Won't stick for most but will be nice to see it fall.

Yes, absolutely.  Doubt I will see any and it's now looking likely it will be one of those winters where I don't see a single flake, which is rare even in the south during a mild winter!

Posted
2 minutes ago, LRD said:

Well I was mocked for calling a 'heatwave' yesterday but, in relative terms, it still looks far more likely than this phantom northerly some on here were seeing

Awful, especially that a horrible spring will likely follow

CFS averaged runs are showing a continuation of HP to the S and SE until April. By May we see a flip and N blocking starts to take hold

May

image.thumb.png.6cc6781c9749c16d5912af6c48c59301.png

June

image.thumb.png.971586b7de448696c210894cd943b4b3.png

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

CFS averaged runs are showing a continuation of HP to the S and SE until April. By May we see a flip and N blocking starts to take hold

May

image.thumb.png.6cc6781c9749c16d5912af6c48c59301.png

June

image.thumb.png.971586b7de448696c210894cd943b4b3.png

They still look like potentially warm months, though with an air mass from a southerly/south easterly quadrant.  Obviously too far away to really go into that sort of detail, though!  

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Don said:

They still look like potentially warm months, though with an air mass from a southerly/south easterly quadrant.  Obviously too far away to really go into that sort of detail, though!  

Warm and potentially very wet/thundery I get from that...especially June.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
10 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Yes that's how I read that June chart. Hot and wet. What's not to like?!  

Edited by LRD

Posted
4 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Yes, I would agree with that.  So, although northern blocking is evident on those charts, the UK is still warm, much like last summer!

Edited by Don
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

For info re Sunday, posted in storm thread...copied here as is model related.

1 hour ago, Mike Poole said:

I posted this in the MOD yesterday but probably now more relevant in this thread.  It is interesting to post the same charts from the ARPEGE ensembles 24 hours on, these from today's 6z.  The 5 plots below show, for maximum wind gusts through to close of play Sunday, the minimum, 25%, median (50%), 75% and maximum over the distribution of uncertainty:

image.thumb.jpg.8f7e58d5728b4a365c8259eb1fdb5e8a.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.0701a82c91532ba472d7ca7d0cf2533b.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.ed45375e6a9199af8665fb9f125a97ef.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.54f9bb20523bab6a5d17a1695deee988.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.5f31c1ebd474f840e807e279a26c876d.jpg

interesting that the uncertainty doesn't really seem to have reduced if at all, but the 50% and 75% plots seem to have edged upwards a notch, so I think the comments on here about the severity of this, particularly the geographical extent of it, vis-a-vis the MO warnings are entirely justified, and it ties in with what others have said about the ECM 12z op.  However, the point about the wide uncertainty range remains, and this may be why we will need to wait until tomorrow to see if more widespread warnings are issued by the MO.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Don said:

Yes, I would agree with that.  So, although northern blocking is evident on those charts, the UK is still warm, much like last summer!

At this early point, I'm plumping for the trough to be closer to, or over, the UK for the early summer period.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

At this early point, I'm plumping for the trough to be closer to, or over, the UK for the early summer period.

You usually do!

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

You usually do!

Not at all, there has been a couple of times over the past few years where I've diverged from what you're suggesting. 

Not after debate though. Just my early thoughts. 

'Typical' low solar summer for me- can still be a good one though depending where the high lat blocking is centered.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Not at all, there has been a couple of times over the past few years where I've diverged from what you're suggesting. 

'Typical' low solar summer for me- can still be a good one though depending where the high lat blocking is centered.

I'm joking, I haven't even begun to think of prospects for summer yet!  But re bolded bit, we didn't exactly have a typical low solar winter did we?  

Signals into summer from CFS model are weak at the moment, I think a key thing might be the exact way winter ends and the strat final warming, albeit in spring.

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Lets just hope we see a 'Typical' low solar early 2010's type winter to follow!

Edited by Don
  • Like 4

Posted

Last time i looked the longer range models were hinting at a strong La Nina which i believe is not great news for summer lovers.

I should add the above could be hogwash in all fairness.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

Last time i looked the longer range models were hinting at a strong La Nina which i believe is not great news for summer lovers.

I should add the above could be hogwash in all fairness.

Nina would give us a fair shot of a wet summer

Enso neutral would suggest greater than average chance of repeated Azores HP influence

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
1 minute ago, Mike Poole said:

Signals into summer from CFS model are weak at the moment, I think a key thing might be the exact way winter ends and the strat final warming, albeit in spring.

Summer tends to be more tricky to forecast any trends than winter, as the PV is absent and the MJO has little impact on northern hemisphere patterns. I imagine Atlantic SSTs and ENSO may play more of a role. Warmer waters tend to promote higher pressure downwind, so warmer Atlantic to our west maybe attributable to Azores extension, for example. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Nina would give us a fair shot of a wet summer

Enso neutral would suggest greater than average chance of repeated Azores HP influence

We need a strong La Nina to help suppress the soaring Global temperatures!

Posted
5 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Summer tends to be more tricky to forecast any trends than winter, as the PV is absent and the MJO has little impact on northern hemisphere patterns. I imagine Atlantic SSTs and ENSO may play more of a role. Warmer waters tend to promote higher pressure downwind, so warmer Atlantic to our west maybe attributable to Azores extension, for example. 

Agreed, I guess I was thinking a little earlier than that if an explosive final end to the strat vortex was to cause high lat blocking that persisted into summer, I don't necessarily think this will happen this year.  But as I said earlier I haven't given summer that much thought this year yet - probably obviously!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Suffice to say, all conjecture at this range. I’d also go along and say more 2019 than 2018 too, just because of how strong the PV/AO has been through winter. Just got a hunch it will collapse down to very late northern blocking through late spring, much like last year. 

• Like 3