Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Anybody seen any snow this year.

Snowyowl9

Who has seen a flake of snow this winter.  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who has seen a flake of snow this winter.

• Who`s been lucky to have seen snow every month since november falling and lying however short with upto 2 inches for one of the months,slight dusting counts third month.
    • Who has seen snow for lying however short for 2 months.
  2. 2. Who`s seen snow falling and settling for 1 month this year.

• Who`s just seen snow falling.
    • Who`s just seen sleet falling.
  3. 3. Who`s seen just hail.

• Who`s seen rain/sleet.
    • Who`s seen absolutely zilch.

Posted

We had a very fine icy snow came out of the day of thick freezing fog ahead of Christmas. You couldn't see it but you could feel it walking about and it built up to a fine white layer over a few hours. If you did not examine it, you'd just have thought it was a thick frost but it did not grow underneath leaves, etc. and the car's side windows were clear.  It was just on upward facing surfaces and brushed off easily.  Anybody got a name for this type of really fine snow from fog? It was not rime or frost.

Posted

This time last not bad really for the date.1981 was mild.1983 cold west/NWly.

AVN_1_2019020200_1.pngRrea00119810202.gifRrea00119830202.gif

Then the best on this date from 2009 back to 1963.

Rrea00120090202.gifRrea00119860202.gifRrea00119630202.gif

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
2 hours ago, Aleman said:

We had a very fine icy snow came out of the day of thick freezing fog ahead of Christmas. You couldn't see it but you could feel it walking about and it built up to a fine white layer over a few hours. If you did not examine it, you'd just have thought it was a thick frost but it did not grow underneath leaves, etc. and the car's side windows were clear.  It was just on upward facing surfaces and brushed off easily.  Anybody got a name for this type of really fine snow from fog? It was not rime or frost.

Sounds a bit like diamond dust. 

• Like 1

Posted

Not a single flake since the snowfall of Jan 2019,but what can one expect if the wind direction is constantly from a South Westerly direction most of this hopeless winter. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

No falling snow and obviously no lying snow. Even worse so called ‘winter’ than 2013/14...at least that one gave us one snowfall which temporarily settled.

Edited by Carl46Wrexham

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

I have seen no snow this winter but we did have sleet showers on two mornings in late January but they were at some time in the morning when I'm asleep.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Had snow on the hills here mid December which lasted a day and a half also similar a couple of weeks ago but gone the next day.Even the mildest snowless winters of the last 30 years have produced way more than that ,Unpresidented in these parts.

Posted
6 hours ago, sundog said:

Sounds a bit like diamond dust. 

You set me looking for the definition of this. From clear skies and usually at very low temperatures, it is not what we had, although I found it interesting reading. It was not ice fog either, which forms rime. But the Wiki definition of diamond dust and ice fog did push me onto this:

1200px--Fog_disappears_over_Koblenz_%28i
EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

"Fog commonly produces precipitation in the form of drizzle OR VERY LIGHT SNOW. Drizzle occurs when the humidity of fog attains 100% and the minute cloud droplets begin to coalesce into larger droplets.[16] This can occur when the fog layer is lifted and cooled sufficiently, or when it is forcibly compressed from above by descending air. Drizzle becomes freezing drizzle when the temperature at the surface drops below the freezing point."

Extremly fine snow from fog should have a fancy name. It looks quite a bit like frost but is not. I figured snizzle might cover it. Then guess what? I found that seems to be a fairly new word that is occasionally used for very fine snow. Although some use it for drizzle that turns to snow and back again. Our stuff was dry and so fine you could not see it but it very slowly accumulated.

I also found the Faroese have the word hyggikave - very fine snow which forces its way into houses through cracks.

I found this question which seems to be someone else with the similar sort of question - but no answer that really helps me:

Edited by Aleman
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot

I haven't seen a single flake of snow all winter.  All I've seen is a hail shower last week, and that's it.

How I loathe this miserable little rain-soaked sh*thole of a country.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

I was lucky enough to drive back through some heavy but very wet snow on the 13th November on my way back from Chippenham to Gloucester over the Cotswolds. It was just about settling on the highest part of the hills, about 900ft - 1000ft but absolute zilch since then...

Posted

Nothing, but then I'm in the southeast. I think there may have been some snow last year but probably very little, but then from about 2014 to 2017 I don't ever recall any snow. 

It's annoying, as early as December The Weather Channel was predicting some snow and rain at night, with some forecast for this rate but that forecast goes after about a day. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy Winters, Hot and Sunny Summers - Never Mild!

Not a single falke here in London, but thats not surprising.

Posted

I've been to the alps, just after the new year and even there there was not a lot of snow, especially not in the lower parts. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Had hail and some rain. Wasn't sleet at all so couldn't vote.

No snow, not even sleet. Cold wind mind then yeah.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Had a very short lasting dusting of snow in the early hours of 15th December, but there was about 5cm 300M ASL only 5 miles east, which only lasted a day due to heavy rain pushing through. Feel lucky to have even seen snow in this grim winter.

ECU1-0dil4_mini.png

ECU0-0prz1_mini.png

ECM1-0tbh2_mini.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Absolutely nothing here in London. Not even a little bit of sleet.