Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Gale of 18th January 2007

A Face like Thunder

Posted

I was reminded that today is the 13th anniversary of the gale of Thursday 18th January 2007 which caused a great deal of damage both in the UK and in mainland Europe. In South Cheshire, we had rain in the morning but the gales forecast for lunchtime did not seem to materialise. The clouds cleared at about 1.30 - 2pm and it was then - with a clear blue sky - that the wind picked up to gale force and the damage was caused. Over the next hour, bits of the flat roof at the place I worked flew off and we were required to stay indoors to shelter from what was flying around outside. Although the wind had died down by 4pm, the journey home was difficult and, in the fading light, pieces of our fences could be seen strewn over the lawn. 

Philip Eden refers in detail to this gale in his book on 'Great British Weather Disasters'. This was certainly the worst gale I have encountered in my 20 years in the South Cheshire area.

Contrast 2007 with the weather today thirteen years later!

• Like 1

Posted

I remember it took about 2 hours to get from work in Eccles to home in Whalley Range on that day. Loads of closed roads because of the debris

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Yes mentioned this event the other day in the regional thread. Had plenty of trees fall on the lane here. Certainly one of, if not the worst storm I've experienced here. Had gusts to around 90mph on my anemometer. It was like a storm they experience in the western & northern isles of Scotland.

• 11 months later...
Posted
On 19/01/2020 at 18:13, Alexis said:

I remember it took about 2 hours to get from work in Eccles to home in Whalley Range on that day. Loads of closed roads because of the debris

Yes! Barton and Thelwall were both shut. Took me my normal time to get home from Trafford Park to Chorlton. On my bike past solid stationary traffic the whole way.

• Like 1

Posted

I don't know if I posted these at the time.

Trafford Park Centenary bridge deck being lifted a cm or so by the wind at lunchtime.

Rolling waves on the Ship Canal

DSC00224.thumb.JPG.666dbc66a5ca7fa5d8deea39c29010d0.JPG

The last HGV to not make to over Barton Bridge, on its side.

Edited by alr1970
Moved videos to YouTube for embedding.

Posted

Remember this one well, I was at school at the time and weather interested me even back then. The worst winds came early afternoon when the skies cleared and it was a right gale.

It’s only really beaten by the February 2014 storm here in my memory.