Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted

Good article in the Gurniaad

3072.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

The former chair of the Global Health Council talks about the mentality that left the world vulnerable to the Covid-19 epidemic

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Must admit you have to be pretty dense and or disinterested not to see what the BBC and other channels plus papers are dishing out. Some of the rags getting, as usual, over the top

I’ve had a text message from NHS. 

Notices up at GP’s and on their home page of their website.

Suspect a lot of people will not bother until they they are stopped from doing something or their family or circle of friends catch it. 

BBC special on 1 at 7.30 tonight. 

Agree, you would have to have been locked in a dark room to be unaware, but what i am talking about is public reassurance.

The rags, while not necessarily printing incorrect info, will report it in a manner to hook in readers and will spread alarm. Once a populous is alarmed they tend to want to find out more info so take any news available, including less than reliable social media. A coordinated, widespread, government info campaign - will help alleviate some of the alarm and counter some of the nonsense on social media.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, swebby said:

Agree, you would have to have been locked in a dark room to be unaware, but what i am talking about is public reassurance.

The rags, while not necessarily printing incorrect info, will report it in a manner to hook in readers and will spread alarm. Once a populous is alarmed they tend to want to find out more info so take any news available, including less than reliable social media. A coordinated, widespread, government info campaign - will help alleviate some of the alarm and counter some of the nonsense on social media.

Yes reassurance where possible but that is a very difficult balancing act. Would be plenty of moans and criticisms on here from some about a lack of this and that.  Think it is going to be a drip feed of bad news until it eventually starts getting better. 

Let us hope there will be more than the King Canute Syndrome. 

• Like 3

Posted

I think a lot of people who are outside the high risk  groups are quite worried about getting the virus and then passing it onto a family member who is in that group .

Whilst no one can be blamed for passing on something they didn’t know they had I think most still feel a sense of responsibility.

• Like 4

Posted

19 new cases have been confirmed in Morbihan .

This looks like another of those clusters. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Yes reassurance where possible but that is a very difficult balancing act. Would be plenty of moans and criticisms on here from some about a lack of this and that.  Think it is going to be a drip feed of bad news until it eventually starts getting better. 

Let us hope there will be more than the King Canute Syndrome. 

Aye, sensible information together with reassurance (that HMG is doing all it can) would seem to be in order...

The problem, however, is that with social media being so influential, HMG's attempts at reason will be forever confounded by a steady stream of misinformation from nutjobsRus?:oldangry:

Posted

A first case in Andorra .

Linked to northern Italy . Without that huge explosion in cases in northern Italy I think Europe might have had a better chance of containment .

I think that ships already sailed now .

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Ryukai said:

Personally, I'm wondering how long it's going to take before they storyline it into the soaps

They'd probably get more accurate info across to more of the older generation that way too.  If the majority are anything like my mother they're more likely to believe what's shown on them than the dodgy stuff floating around on facebook/stalkermedia.

Well I'm old and I must admit I'm more likely to believe the soaps than what I read on NW 8)

Edited by knocker
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
51 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

I'd be amazed if it stays that way. Visitors arriving from every nation on Earth, intermingling in large numbers, then returning home after a couple of weeks seems like a really good way to cause an epidemiological explosion.

Depends on if its still prevalent in the summer, if it is seasonal, and I hope it is, the Olympics should be fine. Problem is we do not know that yet. 

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, swebby said:

It's been going on for a couple of weeks. Notices been in papers for weeks, but many people dont buy or read newspapers these days. Also notices down our docs ; in fact, i was in there 2 weeks ago. At our local hospital last Wednesday for an MRI and notices were there as well.

Not sure what is being published on social media sites? Have NW 'bosses' been asked to display digital 'banners', after all this site is part of SM?

I know the overall message of "dont worry", and importance of good hygiene is being stressed in schools everyday, here. Anecdotal alert - well it is in both my grandkids' schools.

Iran - can see one area it is being spread there. Government wont close down religious sites; footage circulating this morn on SM and some online media outlets of people licking gates at some shrine; some kind of bizarre religious practice. Nuff said.

Edited by Bristle boy
  • Like 3

Posted
Just now, Bristle boy said:

It's been going on for a couple of weeks. Notices been in papers for weeks, but many people dont buy or read newspapers these days. Also notices down our docs ; in fact, i was in there 2 weeks ago. At our local hospital last Wednesday for an MRI and notices were there as well.

Not sure what is being published on social media sotes? Have NW 'bosses' been asked to display digital 'banners', after all this sute is part of SM?

I know the overall message of "dont worry", and importance of good hygiene is being stressed in schools everyday, here. Anecdotal alert - well it is in both my grandkids' schools.

Iran - can see one area it is being spread there. Government wont close down religious sites; footage circulating this morn on SM and some online media outlets of people licking gates at some shrine; some kind if religious practice. Nuff said.

Excellent, was not aware of that, but have not brought a newspaper in yonks.  Schools have certainly been advised.

Thinking of something on a par with the Brexit add campaign back in autumn. TV adds, billboards, even had it in the adverts on spotify.  Something like that will basically tell jo(e) public that the government are doing everything they can and that they should remain calm.

Containment in Iran? Think that horse bolted back in January - lost cause now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
6 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Not sure what is being published on social media sites? Have NW 'bosses' been asked to display digital 'banners', after all this site is part of SM?

Iran - can see one area it is being spread there. Government wont close down religious sites; footage circulating this morn on SM and some online media outlets of people licking gates at some shrine; some kind of bizarre religious practice. Nuff said.

Maybe we should stop kissing the belarny stone then in Ireland, I probably spelt that wrong sorry. Surely a similar type of tradition. 

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Maybe we should stop kissing the belarny stone then in Ireland, I probably spelt that wrong sorry. Surely a similar type of tradition. 

Never done that myself.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Disgusting Alert!

25407006-0-image-a-10_1583107279890.jpg
WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

Worrying clips on social media show people licking the doors and the burial mound inside the Masumeh shrine in virus-hit Qom, northern Iran.

You'd be surprised at how common this sort of thing is, even tombs and headstones of Western people are not exempt aka Marilyn Monroe's Crypt and Oscar Wilde's tomb (before it was sealed off with glass barriers) are ones from the top of my head, there's probably lots more if you google search.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

You'd be surprised at how common this sort of thing is, even tombs and headstones of Western people are not exempt aka Marilyn Monroe's Crypt and Oscar Wilde's tomb (before it was sealed off with glass barriers) are ones from the top of my head, there's probably lots more if you google search.

Saw something similar at a monetary in Spain.  

Posted
13 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Disgusting Alert!

25407006-0-image-a-10_1583107279890.jpg
WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

Worrying clips on social media show people licking the doors and the burial mound inside the Masumeh shrine in virus-hit Qom, northern Iran.

4 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

Taking communion in catholic mass. Still think many churches still practice using a single communion cup?

• Like 2

Posted

Live Press conference from The World Health Organization, starts at 3pm (1 hours time)

Posted
18 minutes ago, swebby said:

Taking communion in catholic mass. Still think many churches still practice using a single communion cup?

Cof E as well.  Not that I have been to communion for yonks or a bit longer. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Breaking: England reports 4 new cases of coronavirus

Total now 40 (37 in England) with 13,525 tested of which 13,485 came back negative.

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted

Really need to delay this as long as possible to get a smaller but longer peak of cases. The mortality rate with this disease will be heavily dependent on the availability of medical treatment such as oxygen. This is why Iran's mortality rate is higher than the average of 2% at as around 5%.

• Like 2

Posted

The expert interviewed on Sky News made some good points about the different phases of the virus .

Containement of the virus is crucial regardless of whether you move into the next phases and goes hand in hand with reducing the spread .

One thing we don’t know much about . How long after being infected do you test positive for the virus.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 4