Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
4 hours ago, Spikecollie said:

Maybe folks will finally be motivated to wash their hands after using the bog...

The number of males (especially) but females (not exempt) who creep (crap) in and out without is phenomenal. Just by admission - we don't do workplace surveiillance here - it's illegal and long may it be so.

Hence don’t eat the free crisps and peanuts on the pub bar. Or anywhere else you would be sharing with anyone. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
WWW.NZHERALD.CO.NZ

New cases are dropping, but some 'recovered' patients showing traces of virus.

Is this the routeway for those suffering a second bout of the disease?

We have seen concerns about the impacts 'second time around' due to the impacts of the treatments on a patient's heart/major organs from the initial infection?

When will we see restrictions on travel to Japan/Singapore/South Korea/Iran?

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted

Does this timeline for the Italian case make sense or do we need to re-evaluate the protocol for quarantine?

The friend who had returned from China was traced and may have infected the 38-year-old from Codogno. The conditional is a must, because the dates do not coincide. The man is currently in solitary confinement at the Sacco hospital in Milan, where the necessary examinations are being carried out. He is a manager who works in a Fiorenzuola d’Arda company, and who normally spends most of the year in China, with limited periods in Italy. He returned from China between January 20 and 21, but he has always been well (and still is healthy), except February 10, when he had mild flu symptoms. This is why it is still not clear that he was the 'patient zero', above all because too much time has passed.

https://milano.corriere.it/notizie/c...305401b7.shtml

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.
14 hours ago, Snipper said:

Could it be the Chinese human make up makes them more prone than other races?  We have all heard of the supposed positives of a Mediterranean diet for lower heart disease. 

Time will tell if are all basically in the same pot or not. 

Apparently they are as shown in this article..

polymorph.png

• Like 1

Posted
On ‎07‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 21:32, DAVID SNOW said:

Interesting, could it be that china(its people) have had very limited 'mixing out' of genes, perhaps then, a pure and unique people but weak regarding natural immunity and resistance?

^^^^

I did raise this point some time ago, albeit in a clumsy way.

But if true what is protecting the large Chinese community that live and work in say London?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
23 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

^^^^

I did raise this point some time ago, albeit in a clumsy way.

But if true what is protecting the large Chinese community that live and work in say London?

The same thing that's 'protecting' me and thee, Dave...there's no human reservoir of COVID-19 for us to catch?

• Like 1

Posted

A bit more info on the Italian 38 year old man who has respiratory failure. From nothing to cluster and major emergency in a couple of days. 

Citizens of Codogno , Castiglione d'Adda and Casalpusterlengo must not leave the house. In short, the three areas

risk being in isolation . "As a precaution, all citizens of Castiglione d'Adda, Codogno and Casalpusterlengo are invited to stay at home and avoid social contacts ", is the request made by the Lombardy Region Councilor for Health, Giulio Gallera after the confirms 6 cases of infection by the coronavirus - husband and wife and their acquaintance - residents in the two countries of Lodi . The mayors Costantino Pesatori, Francesco Passerini and Elia Delmiglio were urgently summoned to the Region to deal with the emergency and establish isolation and prevention measures .

Coronavirus-Codogno-Lodi-2.jpg
WWW.ILFATTOQUOTIDIANO.IT

Il coronavirus arriva in Lombardia. “Sono sei i casi di positività”, ha annunciato in conferenza stampa l’assessore al Welfare Giulio Gallera. Il paziente uno è un...

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, Dreckly said:

Apparently they are as shown in this article..

polymorph.png

Some caution needs to be taken here.  When i read the paper first time round, my recall was that it is talking about a genetic variation within a population.  It is not talking about the population per se. 

In simple terms, being Chinese does not make you automatically more susceptible to succumbing to SARS! Carrying the genetic variation does (or at least the paper suggests it does). 

I can not remember if the paper suggests the genetic variation is likely confined to the population studied (this is possible, like sickle cell disease in central Africa).  If it is not, then the susceptibility may be equal regardless of ethnic background.

• Like 3

Posted
28 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

A bit more info on the Italian 38 year old man who has respiratory failure. From nothing to cluster and major emergency in a couple of days. 

Coronavirus-Codogno-Lodi-2.jpg
WWW.ILFATTOQUOTIDIANO.IT

Il coronavirus arriva in Lombardia. “Sono sei i casi di positività”, ha annunciato in conferenza stampa l’assessore al Welfare Giulio Gallera. Il paziente uno è un...

Now comes the real test - tracing everybody's movements prior to the cluster and tracking down this area's 'patient zero'.

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, fujita5 said:

Now comes the real test - tracing everybody's movements prior to the cluster and tracking down this area's 'patient zero'.

Sorry, I've just read another article and the man in hospital contracted it from a friend who had recently returned from China - so he is the most likely source.... let's hope he didn't fly in via Milan airport and transfer it to a few others in the process....

• Like 2

Posted

America seems to be having that issue with some of their 'positives'?

It must be a nightmare for anyone trying to do such a search?

It's one thing tracking down folk the carrier has had contact with but what of 'shedding in the environment'?

How do you check all the door knobs/handrails/lift buttons etc,etc that the carrier unwittingly touched and left the virus?

So 'Yes' you can track down primary potential infections but surely the secondary 'environmental infections' must be impossible?

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, swebby said:

Some caution needs to be taken here.  When i read the paper first time round, my recall was that it is talking about a genetic variation within a population.  It is not talking about the population per se. 

In simple terms, being Chinese does not make you automatically more susceptible to succumbing to SARS! Carrying the genetic variation does (or at least the paper suggests it does). 

I can not remember if the paper suggests the genetic variation is likely confined to the population studied (this is possible, like sickle cell disease in central Africa).  If it is not, then the susceptibility may be equal regardless of ethnic background.

New study just out.

OGP_logo.png?f931be1b8d176d3a
WWW.PREPRINTS.ORG

The recurrent coronavirus outbreaks in China (SARS-CoV and its relative, SARS-CoV-2) raise the possibility that Asians are more susceptible to coronavirus. Here...

• Like 3

Posted

I think the next few weeks will be crucial for us in Europe .

It seems as if the first wave of attack by this virus hasn’t been as bad as many might have forecast in January .

The first wave I’d class as the initial transmission rates before China imposed those restrictions and before airlines pulled their flights there .

The second wave I think is more of a problem . We’re now seeing a bigger increase in cases outside of China and in neighbouring countries like Japan and South Korea .

Air travel to those areas is unrestricted so it’s likely more arrivals in Europe are going to be bringing the virus with them.

Economics and politics v trying to stop more transmissions in Europe .

Will airlines be pulling more routes , their losses are already mounting up , will governments be risking political fall out and even more disruption to the global economy .

Trying to find the right balance is going to be very hard .

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, fujita5 said:

Sorry, I've just read another article and the man in hospital contracted it from a friend who had recently returned from China - so he is the most likely source.... let's hope he didn't fly in via Milan airport and transfer it to a few others in the process....

It's the major international Hubs I think are the worry?

Surely infectious folk have travelled through such hubs and shed virus as they went (never mind the 'within 6ft' contacts during their passage through the airport?)

We should be screening ALL International Airport workers/Cabin crew/Pilots as a matter of course if we are serious ab out halting the spread?

Those folk travel home to their communities and then go about their daily lives there?

For baggage handlers/cleaning staff many would, I imagine, use public transport to and from work?

EDIT: Hi Nick S.!

The markets are already going a bit nuts about 'potential impacts' and I am cynical about their willingness to see their 'profit margins' slip over a thing 'not yet happened'..... but then that's just my view of how 'Unfettered Capitalism' operates you understand?

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 5

Posted
16 hours ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Put simply( for my own mind lol)  there are millions of journeys undertaken every day in London, the underground(perfect spreader)? Overground, buses,cabs, offices, pubs and so on, but where is it? Is it already here as BB alludes to, is it similar to having a heavy cold, not very nice, but also not particularly deadly?

Western levels of health care  obviously help, but no deaths in London, population 8 million and over several weeks..hmm.

The simple explanation is that it is not currently in London, other than the few reported cases that have probably been successfully isolated.

Korea is a useful cautionary tale in this regard.

2nd Feb it had 15 cases.

Ten days later on 12th it had 28 cases half of which travelled to Korea already infected

Six days later on the 18th (Tuesday gone) it had risen to only 31, all seems stable and contained.

Today - 3 days further on, they are at 204 cases. When it slips it's leash it is off and running.

Edited by swebby
  • Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, swebby said:

The simple explanation is that it is not currently in London, other than the few reported cases that have probably been successfully isolated.

2nd Feb it had 15 cases.

Ten days later on 12th it had 28 cases half of which travelled to Korea already infected

Six days later on the 18th Tuesday gone it had risen to only 31, all seems stable and contained.

Today - 3 days further on, they are at 204 cases. When it slips it's leash it is off and running.

That’s the concern authorities in Europe are likely to be having . And if you get that sort of spike that’s when panic starts to spread .

As much as the science says there’s a relatively low mortality rate people still think could I be one of the unlucky ones .

• Like 1

Posted

Iran has two new deaths and the number infected is up to 18?

I think this is just the start of their growth as all the victims/deaths will have been through a period of asymptomatic spread prior to being tested/hospitalised?

Tonight is Friday Prayers for them, how will that go? How has their religion aided the spread of the virus? 

6f5be210d3084926be52ea0b63066384_18.jpg
WWW.ALJAZEERA.COM

Daegu city declared 'special care zone' as Seoul steps up efforts to contain the spread of virus.

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

New study just out.

OGP_logo.png?f931be1b8d176d3a
WWW.PREPRINTS.ORG

The recurrent coronavirus outbreaks in China (SARS-CoV and its relative, SARS-CoV-2) raise the possibility that Asians are more susceptible to coronavirus. Here...

What a cruel thing if  China,india,The Middle East suffer worse from this outbreak merely because of 'Who they are'?

Any time now the White Supremacists will be telling you just why it is these populations that will suffer most..........

Posted
20 minutes ago, swebby said:

2nd Feb it had 15 cases.

Six days later on the 18th (Tuesday gone) it had risen to only 31, all seems stable and contained.

Time will tell I suppose.

Is there a mortality rate for this virus yet?

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

What a cruel thing if  China,india,The Middle East suffer worse from this outbreak merely because of 'Who they are'?

Any time now the White Supremacists will be telling you just why it is these populations that will suffer most..........

How on earth did you come up with this response to the study I posted  ... the point is ... we've all got the same pink gizzards.

Shakes head and moves on ....

Edited by Gael_Force
  • Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

How on earth did you come up with this response to the study I posted  ... the point is ... we've all got the same pink gizzards.

Shakes head and moves on ....

Have I misunderstood the importance of the shared receptors, please clear up my confusion please!

EDIT the excerpt says " raise the possibility that Asians are more susceptible to coronavirus" so does that not mean these regional populations ARE more susceptible to the covid-19 or not? (I'm genuinely confused by your statement?)

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Time will tell I suppose.

Is there a mortality rate for this virus yet?

19VIRUS-MEN-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600.
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Women mount stronger immune responses to infection, scientists say. And in China, men smoke in much greater numbers.

This week, the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention published the largest analysis of coronavirus cases to date. Although men and women have been infected in roughly equal numbers, researchers found, the death rate among men was 2.8 percent, compared with 1.7 percent among women.

They should have officially named it Manflu...

Edited by Ryukai
  • Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Have I misunderstood the importance of the shared receptors, please clear up my confusion please!

Again, I'm not a scientist but have spent years researching for accurate reporting in medical matters. I'm maybe missing some finer detail but the quote from the findings seemed explicit.

Asians show a similar ACE2 expression to other races. Furthermore, the frequencies of ACE2 alleles in Asians are not significantly deviated from those in other races. These observations indicate that individuals of all races need the same level of personal protection against SARS-CoV-2

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Gael_Force said:

Again, I'm not a scientist but have spent years researching for accurate reporting in medical matters. I'm maybe missing some finer detail but the quote from the findings seemed explicit.

The why do they say 'Asians are more susceptible' ?

I do understand we are 'one race' y'know but that we show 'regional differences' driven by natural selection/natural forcings and, if such 'difference' makes one population 'more susceptible', then surely that's important?

• Like 1

Posted

"It is possible coronavirus exists in all Iranian cities, Health Ministry says"

106398255-1582126164196gettyimages-12015
WWW.CNBC.COM

South Korea has confirmed an additional 48 cases of the coronavirus, bringing the total number of infections nationwide to 204.

The same article tells us Israel has a confirmed case from a passenger on the 'Diamond Princess'......

I thought we were reassured that only passengers not proving positive for the virus would be allowed to travel?

• Like 2