Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
1 hour ago, Gray-Wolf said:

B.B , as noted upthread H1N1 left me with 'post Viral Syndrome' so No, I do not get out much and ,Yes' I spend all winter basically in one room ( which expands to my 4 by5m garden over summer)

So how would you deal with your time if you were likewise afflicted?

EDIT: and 'yes', prior to this I had a full and active life!

You have to get out at some point and get back into society GW. And i'm not saying this in a cocky, arrogant way (genuinely). You appear, to me, to be constantly reliving your bad times via this thread (and i genuinely and fully understand your bad life experience), but you need to break out of the depressing cycle; i've always found socially interacting (away from forums, for sure) helps. Socially interacting is stimulating. I'll leave it there, as there are pros out there who can assist you.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Bristle boy said:

Planes, trains, automobiles, office, factory, pub, home - it's rife; you cant escape it! Unfortunately, it's an 'occupational' hazard of being a living being.

You ommited cruise ships from your list.

Posted
39 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I think the government should be embarking on a public information campaign to stress the importance of simple measures people can use to minimize their risk .

Disinfectant hand wipes which I’ve been using for years , avoid touching your face at all when you’re out .

The length of time the virus can survive on hard surfaces is probably a big cause of transmission . I even before the current virus to be honest was laughed at by friends for my obsession with hand wipes . If I hear anyone coughing or sneezing in a supermarket I avoid that area for a few minutes if I need something from that area  , droplets will as they’re heavier fall closer to the ground . 

If I’m unlucky and someone close to me sneezes I immediately hold my breath and walk away .

This probably all sounds a bit obsessive and probably is but for fear of jinxing things I’ve not had a single cold or flu in 15 years .

I’ve seen plenty of information about what steps you should take to protect yourself and others. Possibly one of the biggest problems is some individuals couldn’t care. Unless of course they are infected then it is clearly someone else’s fault.  Fault blaming seems to be rife. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Snipper said:

I’ve seen plenty of information about what steps you should take to protect yourself and others. Possibly one of the biggest problems is some individuals couldn’t care. Unless of course they are infected then it is clearly someone else’s fault.  Fault blaming seems to be rife. 

The information might be available on the net  but how about tv ads , Facebook ads etc .

And they need to get through to people to not attend A and E or their GP surgery but talk to the NHS if they have symptoms .

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, ciel said:

You ommited cruise ships from your list.

Not intentionally. Disembarked in December in Bridgetown, from a P&O cruise, with a hacking cough; only 'left me' in 1st week of Jan. Planes have been worst in recent years for my wife and I. Last Jan 19, on a flight to Mexico a woman two rows from us was coughing for whole of 10 hour flight; 36 hours into holiday at the Mexican hotel i started coughing, and ended up whole 2 week hol with most dreadful cough and fever for 1st few days. 'Occupational' hazard being a frequent(ish) flyer.

Edited by Bristle boy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I've never been bothered with all that health-freak malarkey: I don't take a sniffleometer around the shops with me, and I couldn't care less if someone has a cold or whatever; getting colds (I've only had a couple, these past 6-years, anywho) is just one of the many hazards of life, IMO... I also spend a day each week on a farm, where I'm as happy a pig in s**t!

And The Smiths were crap!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

I think the government should be embarking on a public information campaign to stress the importance of simple measures people can use to minimize their risk .

Disinfectant hand wipes which I’ve been using for years , avoid touching your face at all when you’re out .

The length of time the virus can survive on hard surfaces is probably a big cause of transmission . I even before the current virus to be honest was laughed at by friends for my obsession with hand wipes . If I hear anyone coughing or sneezing in a supermarket I avoid that area for a few minutes if I need something from that area  , droplets will as they’re heavier fall closer to the ground . 

If I’m unlucky and someone close to me sneezes I immediately hold my breath and walk away .

This probably all sounds a bit obsessive and probably is but for fear of jinxing things I’ve not had a single cold or flu in 15 years .

I have very sensitive skin and can't use anti-bacterial handwipes or gels, otherwise I erupt in dermatitis! I just wash my hands very scrupulously in mild soap and water. I too avoid the "coughers and sneezers"  but who knows what they have touched/coughed/ sneezed on before.

I work with vulnerable people and also do some quite intimate work like changing people's "protection" (sanitary ware) and preparing their meals. I wear gloves for some tasks but never a mask as it would be inappropriate.

I fear this might all get a bit out of proportion compared to the risks of "gastro" (Noro.) and "Grippe" ('flu). I am not really worried for myself but for people who are vulnerable both physically and psychologically to and threat...

Posted
57 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The information might be available on the net  but how about tv ads , Facebook ads etc .

And they need to get through to people to not attend A and E or their GP surgery but talk to the NHS if they have symptoms .

Seen posters put up about my area. 

Ok it could be better but to have missed what is being said on TV and in the media generally you have to be pretty switched off. Gets to the point that some might need their backside wiped. 

Posted
54 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Not intentionally. Disembarked in December in Bridgetown, from a P&O cruise, with a hacking cough; only 'left me' in 1st week of Jan. Planes have been worst in recent years for my wife and I. Last Jan 19, on a flight to Mexico a woman two rows from us was coughing for whole of 10 hour flight; 36 hours into holiday at the Mexican hotel i started coughing, and ended up whole 2 week hol with most dreadful cough and fever for 1st few days. 'Occupational' hazard being a frequent(ish) flyer.

You seem convinced that you know precisely where you caught your infections.  Think that could be far from right. 
I have a cough that has nothing to do with an infection.  Obviously I follow a good hygiene regime out of respect for those in close proximity for no other reason. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Snipper said:

You seem convinced that you know precisely where you caught your infections.  

In relation to the two i described, then YES.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

In relation to the two i described, then YES.

Find it difficult to agree.  Hope the medical profession conduct an assessment that is not so full of holes. 
Obviously the easiest thing you should do is not travel if you consider infections a problem for you. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
1 hour ago, Bristle boy said:

You have to get out at some point and get back into society GW. And i'm not saying this in a cocky, arrogant way (genuinely). You appear, to me, to be constantly reliving your bad times via this thread (and i genuinely and fully understand your bad life experience), but you need to break out of the depressing cycle; i've always found socially interacting (away from forums, for sure) helps. Socially interacting is stimulating. I'll leave it there, as there are pros out there who can assist you.

Again you misunderstand.

I do not willingly confine me to my 'cell' but the symptoms that the PVS place upon insist that I do (along with the two prolapsed lumber discs ...when they're unhappy)

I would like nothing better than to play a two set gig again but , unfortunately one 3 minute song leaves me exhausted....

I'd love to be back on the bikes but the chronic vertigo that comes with the territory precludes it

I'd love nothing better to be back at bike rallies/fezzy's but, again ,it is impossible and if possible the flare up that it would drive would leave me confined to an even smaller place, plus duvet, for the duration of the 'flare up ( up to 2 weeks)

I did not ask to be left this way and I find it a cruel repayment for my efforts keeping Luke well and happy for over 13 yrs but then the gods can be fickle beasties eh?

Edit : I see from your recent post you have suffered 'an infection'

PVS is just that but instead of the two weeks you suffered I have enjoyed the symptoms you felt since December 10th 2010 (minus the snot & temp) so you tell me how 'active' you were/felt able to be during the worst period of your infection?

Try getting a diagnosis for a starter (3 years & multiple blood letting/tests/probing/medication trials) to be told your only resort is to "Live within the limitations of your symptoms"

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Find it difficult to agree.  Hope the medical profession conduct an assessment that is not so full of holes. 
Obviously the easiest thing you should do is not travel if you consider infections a problem for you. 

A pain in the backside, yes. An 'occupational' hazard, yes. A problem? Yes, but one i'm willing to put up with, otherwise i wouldnt travel. I'm used to it as i worked in an aircon office for 36 years, and always used public transport for my working life.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

A pain in the backside, yes. An 'occupational' hazard, yes. A problem? Yes, but one i'm willing to put up with, otherwise i wouldnt travel. I'm used to it as i worked in an aircon office for 36 years, and always used public transport for my working life.

I can see a mode of travel raises the risks but you cannot say the lady in row 69 was the cause of any illness. 

Steve Walsh showed no symptoms apparently but infected unexpectedly a lot of people  

Britain's race to contain the coronavirus https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51481210

• Like 3

Posted
8d62f10a25c214b67f7643f1f98f1ed7336ff612
WWW.SMH.COM.AU

Indonesian health officials insist they've detected no coronavirus infections. The reality is that - despite the test results - the virus is probably already here.

Is China the only one telling porkies?

Posted
11 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:
8d62f10a25c214b67f7643f1f98f1ed7336ff612
WWW.SMH.COM.AU

Indonesian health officials insist they've detected no coronavirus infections. The reality is that - despite the test results - the virus is probably already here.

Is China the only one telling porkies?

No government instructions not to use public transport in  London..........

Could you imagine the billions in compensation claims................

Posted

Luckily David the trains/busses tend to make it impossible to travel on them anyway?

I know I'll gain a lot of Shiite for my opinion but places that gain a fair percentage of their national income/employment from Tourism appear loathe to 'taint' their nation with a label of 'carrier nation'?

The power of the great God Capitalism eh? Dying to profit?

Lives appear not to matter if there's a buck to be lost?

Personally I awaiting 'round two' where we know that covid-19 is circulating among the UK population and we get some idea of 'R0' and mortality rates?

At the moment we appear to be chasing shadows and any mention of high 'R0's' or mortality rates leads to personal assaults?

One consolation is that those very folk, via their own admissions, would appear most at risk of picking up the virus?

There's nothing like personal experience for colouring your world view eh?

• Like 1

Guest Delete Me

Professor Neil Ferguson of Imperial College London: China is "only detecting probably 5% of cases...so I think it's misleading to look at the Chinese case numbers."

What I've been saying for weeks...

Posted
5 minutes ago, Paul Faulkner said:

Professor Neil Ferguson of Imperial College London: China is "only detecting probably 5% of cases...so I think it's misleading to look at the Chinese case numbers."

Try telling some of the folk on here Paul!

All is hunky Dory and we are just 'fear mongering'......

As with my AGW experiences I have a theory that such folk are the real scaredy pants that dare not let the truth be the truth lest they have to accept it?

It is out there among us already if all we're being told is true?

But to some the lack of 'positives' means that such thinking is nonsense...... even our top minds tell us we only see 1 in 3 of positive cases entering the UK and anyone looking at the way transmission works (no excuses now seeing as BBC4 has an IPlayer offering illustrating such?) we must assume that widespread transmission is ongoing in populated areas that have an International Airport hub?

London & M/cr must have contagion spreading among the peoples there but it will be over a week before we see that for sure (as cases present)?

All we can do is look backwards as to who contacted who ,where the hot spots for transmission are and not 'Where it is now and how to avoid it'?

Now wash your hands..... and stop picking your nose you dirty beggar!!! 

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, Paul Faulkner said:

I was pulled by admins on here for my videos and tweets so I've stopped posting because the carebears don't like it.

I understand the need to 'keep it real' but surely all bets are off when something like this is emerging?

Don't die of ignorance was how Aids was dealt with and now we have 'don't believe a word on the internet'????

I'm minded of;

image.thumb.png.40314b164536c7a4aa0619292154228f.png

but how do you let folk see the truth from the propaganda esp. when it is in the hands of self appointed censors?

As with AGW it is now too late to act, all we can do is 'mitigate'

Let the naysayers be damned!

Look after you and your own the best you can......it's like 'noah in the sun' whilst all and sundry laughed at his concern/actions...... the flood is rising right here, right now, yet still they take the pizz....

May their gods be with them?

Edit; Beautiful waning Moon out there right now....what will the New Moon bring with it?

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Luckily David the trains/busses tend to make it impossible to travel on them anyway?

I know I'll gain a lot of Shiite for my opinion but places that gain a fair percentage of their national income/employment from Tourism appear loathe to 'taint' their nation with a label of 'carrier nation'?

The power of the great God Capitalism eh? Dying to profit?

Lives appear not to matter if there's a buck to be lost?

Personally I awaiting 'round two' where we know that covid-19 is circulating among the UK population and we get some idea of 'R0' and mortality rates?

At the moment we appear to be chasing shadows and any mention of high 'R0's' or mortality rates leads to personal assaults?

One consolation is that those very folk, via their own admissions, would appear most at risk of picking up the virus?

There's nothing like personal experience for colouring your world view eh?

Thank you for letting us know your feelings.

So I know what you mean can you indicate any country in the world that satisfies your wish for a non capitalist society that functions.

1 hour ago, Paul Faulkner said:

So is this professor suggesting that China is hiding the extra 28000 deaths?

• Like 1