Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

It appears the immune system is the absolute critical element here.

In what way?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
12 minutes ago, Azazel said:

People in my town (Andover) have launched a Facebook group to aid people who are isolated which I think is rather lovely.

I can't remember if i told you guys the story of our first official case.

Apparently, the gentleman suspected he had Covid-19 and went for tests. While waiting for the test results, he went to the local leisure centre to a roller-disco and then went out for a meal at a restaurant. Test results came back positive.

That's astonishing: are there really still Roller discos in the 21st Century?

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

Ha my thought exactly   Apparently there is also a quiet area so you can use your pogo stick in peace. 

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
14 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Varied then. Bit of a cold, sore throat, for a couple of them. Be surprised if people with the lesser version will bother to self-isolate, let alone try and register for a test. After all, those symptoms are what people get every Winter.

So begs the Q will we ever really know exact numbers, even years down the line. I think i can answer that myself.

Edit: The Welsh guy has 2 completely different stories though. His orig to a local paper in Wales a couple of months back told a story of it was next to nothing. His Daily Mail one the other week was one of near death.

This is very telling BB, there are gonna be folks who have little more than mild symptoms, your immune system could handle this well! For others it's a different story!! Just how many of us in the last few weeks have had what we think to be minor colds or flu!! 3 weeks ago for instance, I was aching, had sore throat, and felt generally crap.. I remember going to bed early, which is unlike me... Most likely just a cold, but on the other hand!!!! There could be thousands of us who have already had this.... Recovered and now feel fine... The big thing is.... We may never really no! 

I know a lot of folk who everytime they catch a cold or flu, they end up with major chest infection, meaning they need antibiotics everytime!! On the other hand, myself included, I will end up with sinus problems but not chest issues, and as told by a GP, it much better to get it in your head than on your chest for obvious reasons... Does this mean that folk who are sensetive to the chest problems with flu, are gonna be in the much higher risk group with this virus as well! 

Edited by Mattwolves
  • Like 7

Posted
12 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

So, what exactly are "mild symptoms"? Genuine Q.

Does the term cover all bases, so to speak, of mild symptoms?

Mild - will even those with mild symptoms still get a dry cough? 

Will they still get a fever?

Runny nose?

Anyone truthfully know?

From what i recall from the WHO data from China

The common denominator is fever, +95% of cases.

Dry cough was the second most common but only with 60%. So 2 out of 5 people may not have the cough, something i think we all take as the tell tale sign!?

Other symptoms seem to be rather random.

Sounds like a bad chest cold for many, which for 5-6 days, is what it is.  It is what happens at day 6-7 that seems to be critical; recovery? or falling off a cliff with pneumonia?

• Like 7

Posted

Qatar just stated they have 238 new cases! Thats quite the jump from 24 total they recorded just yesterday!!

Scotland's first community transmission shows it is only a matter of tim before it takes off, and I suspect there probably already are a decent number of cases in the pipelines in London. Someone I've been speaking too sounds like they have the exact symptoms of Corona, but hasn't been tested yet.

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

This is very telling BB, there are gonna be folks who have little more than mild symptoms, your immune system could handle this well! For others it's a different story!! Just how many of us in the last few weeks have had what we think to be minor colds or flu!! 3 weeks ago for instance, I was aching, had sore throat, and felt generally crap.. I remember going to bed early, which is unlike me... Most likely just a cold, but on the other hand!!!! There could be thousands of us who have already had this.... Recovered and now feel fine... The big thing is.... We may never really no! 

Exactly this. Will be interesting if they develop a serology test and make it accessible. 

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

haha I think it was his grandson and he was there to collect him if the rumours are true.

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:
132495?width=1200&crop=16_9&signature=8d
WWW.HEART.CO.UK

People who have survived and recovered from Coronavirus have been sharing their stories of their symptoms and experience of the illness.

Mr Reeds account

He said that by day 11 he thought it had lifted, but then it came back 'with a vengeance'.

"I’m sweating, burning up, dizzy and shivering. The television is on but I can’t make sense of it. This is a nightmare," he said.

"I can’t take more than sips of air and, when I breathe out, my lungs sound like a paper bag being crumpled up. This isn’t right. I need to see a doctor."

That would be the development of pneumonia

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

Mind my cynicism but the NHS could have increased testing much earlier !

Yes they Could but no they didn’t.  We won’t know until hindsight kicks in if  that was a mistake or not.

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, swebby said:

Mr Reeds account

That would be the development of pneumonia

and still he didnt take his antibiotics because either his stupidity knows no bounds, he doesnt believe in medicine, or he's lying.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Yes they Could but no they didn’t.  We won’t know until hindsight kicks in if  that was a mistake or not.

My cynicism is aimed at many governments. Clearly though if UK cases had been at a 1000 already would the Cheltenham festival have been given the  go ahead , would the Premier League still be having spectators and would the pressure to close schools intensify .

As for France why aren’t they releasing figures for the amount of tests ?

Why the secrecy ? Is it because the test to positive ratio doesn’t look good ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Barclays has confirmed one of its employees has tested positive for coronavirus at its Canary Wharf office. An employee on the ninth floor of the 5 North Colonnade building -  which mainly houses Barclays investment bank workers - tested positive for the disease, the bank said in a statement.

The bank has told colleagues who sit near the affected person to self-quarantine but is keeping the building and the floor open, the memo said. "The colleague has been in self-quarantine since 9 March, following notification of their potential exposure to the virus," the bank said in a statement.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-barclays-confirm-case-coronavirus-21675122

• Like 1

Posted

Are other countries looking at a wider picture other than just coping with fighting the virus?  Thinking of UK’s response of dealing with virus, helping firms and workers in the interim and hopefully keeping the economy alive in the longer term. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
3 hours ago, Dami said:

Schools need to more clean full stop. All i ever see from the cleaners at bubs is emptying of the bins and a half hearted  walk with a hoover that doesn't look like it could pick up anything. I hope they at least wash the sinks and bleach the loos - the drinking fountain was an absolute disgrace. They ask the kids to take their shoes off (as it supposed to make them more comfortable) which doesn't bother me, what does bother me is the fact staff doesn't do the same and bubs socks come back black just from walking on the carpet alone.

Unfortunately, some of it is the students fault.

Talking of cleaning, about 3 years ago I joined a new school and when I decided to go to the toilet, there were puddles of urine everywhere on the floor and all over the toilet seat.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

I'm late to the discussion so apologies if this has already been pointed out.

I found this interesting article online and would like to highlight the bit that stood out for me.

Please read the article and see what you think.

WWW.MSN.COM

Plagues – or, to use a more modern term, epidemics of infectious disease – pluck at our most primal fears. 

Another major difference between the 1918 flu and Covid-19 is that the flu mainly affected those aged between 20 and 40, while Covid-19 mainly affects those over 60. The British virologist and flu historian John Oxford, of Queen Mary University of London, calls Covid-19 “a pale reflection of 1918 where 200,000 [Britons] died quietly at home and most of them were young”. Indeed, one of the reasons the 1918 flu was so devastating was because it purged communities of their breadwinners – at a time when there wasn’t much of a social welfare safety net to catch those left behind.

I don't usually believe in conspiracies but I have an open mind to most things and this part got me.

It's quite concerning to think that it is good possibility that most of us could lose our parents or gran parents if this isn't brought under control or they find a vaccine soon.

This is a comment from a contributor in the comments section and I kind of agree with him/her.

Sky BlueLeader

I find it curious to say the least that Covid-19 originated in Wuhan, where it is known there is a biological research department in the university. It is also known that much research has been done world-wide into the nature of the Spanish flu virus which, as is pointed out here, in 1918 chiefly and ironically impacted on a younger, working-age section of the world population. Since Covid-19 appears conveniently to be far more fatal for the 60+ age group, which represents an increasingly burdensome problem for many developed countries, and for China a major one in the next 50 years, it strikes me that the genie might inadvertently have escaped from a bottle rather than a pangolin or bat. I know it sounds far fetched, given its nearly catastrophic early effect on China itself, but that country does now seem to be overcoming it having taken Draconian measures to contain the virus. However, our own government's reluctance to take the same measures, and its refusal to recognise the mistakes made by Italy (second highest ageing population after Japan), which has now been forced to adopt similarly drastic measures, seems to suggest a potentially disastrous outcome in this country given that our already overburdened and underfunded NHS is unlikely to be able to cope, resulting in the deaths of a great many old but clearly seen as expendable people.

• Like 2

Guest Delete Me

Iran's vice president has tested positive for the disease, and the below video is Iran's Head of Emergency Services - Dr. Pirhossein Kolivand just days after contracting the virus - he is not in a good way

Edited by Delete Me

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
2 hours ago, Paul Faulkner said:

UPDATE on coronavirus (#COVID19) testing in the UK:

As of 9am 11 March 2020, a total of 27,476 people have been tested: 27,020 negative 456 positive

+73 increase - Good news

Wait a week after Cheltenham has finished and watch the number of positive cases in the UK rise incredibly fast.

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 1

Posted

I mean I’m shocked !

The much vaunted 1 million test kits which the science denier Pence sang from the rooftops aren’t materializing .

And the Trump administration is refusing to halt cuts to the CDC budget and other health services . They’re going ahead !

Seriously what sort of person  would at this time enforce cuts to the Dept which is supposed to be there to help the response to the virus ! 

• Like 2

Guest Delete Me
5 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Wait a week after Cheltenham has finished and watch the number of positive cases in the UK rise incredibly fast.

Not just Cheltenham, tonight's Liverpool match, Irish festival in Manchester tomorrow, Wine festival in Liverpool, loads of events in London, Birmingham etc attracting thousands.

Posted
5 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I mean I’m shocked !

The much vaunted 1 million test kits which the science denier Pence sang from the rooftops aren’t materializing .

And the Trump administration is refusing to halt cuts to the CDC budget and other health services . They’re going ahead !

Seriously what sort of person  would at this time enforce cuts to the Dept which is supposed to be there to help the response to the virus ! 

I think they are probably scared over what yesterday did to their numbers, they don't want to have to fact it, but history will look upon them unkindly if they don't accept the biggest challenge of all. What a time to have such an useless government...

Sweden up 122 cases and Switzerland up 155 cases...we really have been damn lucky with our increase of just 80 or so since yesterday!

I feel like we are seeing yet another step up from where we are globally today, so many places recording increases in the high 00s and 000s today.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 3