Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Health Secretary statement in the Commons at 7pm tonight

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, fujita5 said:

Yes, how do you keep that distance on a train, in a queue, on a bus, in an office where your desk chairs are 1m apart....?

Or, for another matter, at a football match or concert?

And are we also to believe that droplets from somebody coughing are unable to travel more than 2m?

Unrelated... I am having to travel from Clacton to London on the train and tube today for a minor operation, I've just reached Stratford. When I was here 2 weeks ago, quite a few people were walking about wearing masks. Not a single one today. I wonder whether complacency has kicked in because it's been so long since this all started?

They run out of new ones? Case of premature facecation ?

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Health Secretary statement in the Commons at 7pm tonight

That sounds like they are ready to commit to at least some features to help with the social distancing.

Who knows what they will bring in though! My best guess is social gatherings over 1000 to be banned for a start. IMO schools need to stay open a little longer yet.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, kold weather said:

That sounds like they are ready to commit to at least some features to help with the social distancing.

Who knows what they will bring in though! My best guess is social gatherings over 1000 to be banned for a start. IMO schools need to stay open a little longer yet.

Why 1000, is that just another figure plucked out the air by politicians because of economics?, does coronavirus suddenly become intransmissible in crowds of under 1000?

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, kold weather said:

While Cheltenham is on going?

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, kold weather said:

One certainty in all this is the government (or anyone else for that matter) will get something wrong. Hopefully they will get it more right than wrong. 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

Why 1000, is that just another figure plucked out the air by politicians because of economics?, does coronavirus suddenly become intransmissible in crowds of under 1000?

Any figure that is plucked out is going to be arbitrary, that figure of 1000 will stop alot of the larger events from happening.

As for Cheltenham, IF that was the measure, it'd have to be postponed, simple as that. However we will see, I may well be wrong!

Posted

I see there as been a study  that shows  the virus is at its most contagious  before symptoms show.

skynews-istock-cheek-swab-throat-swab_49
NEWS.SKY.COM

Viral shedding, the process of the virus cells replicating and spreading on, occurs more in the early days of infection.

Great  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
44 minutes ago, ciel said:

Ultimately, imo of course, the success or failure of the UK strategy will be judged not by numbers of those infected but on the ability to keep the recovery rate high and the mortality rate low.  That depends on the effectiveness of an under-resourced NHS under pressure.......

Anyone know if there is up to date data on # of recovered so far?

BBC article from 6th march says 18 cases have recovered out of 164 positive cases..

Edited by Stabilo19
  • Like 2

Posted
43 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Spanish figures upto 12pm:

Total Confirmed Cases: 2,067 Deaths: 47 

So another large jump in Spain! I really do quesiton the wisdom of this Champions league match going ahead, their jumps are pretty much exponential at the moment!!

They could have banned away fans . Especially as Madrid has a lot of cases. This looks like a very bad decision.

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, nick sussex said:

They could have banned away fans . Especially as Madrid has a lot of cases. This looks like a very bad decision.

Yep  all the people  returning from the game to Devon  will no doubt spread it. 

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

Problem is just a few days ago Spain was pretty much in the same boat as we are currently. That shows how rapidly this can blow up and its exactly why the UK govt does need to start bringing in some measures this week otherwise it may run away from them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

From tidbits of information posted in BBC news articles and on twitter, it seems like UK schools etc won't be closed but cleaning of virus prone areas will be increased. So maybe a different strategy to most other countries will be trialed here..

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Yes, London gonna explode in next week with people back from Italy, now Liverpool gonna explode as well - great.

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Stabilo19 said:

From tidbits of information posted in BBC news articles and on twitter, it seems like UK schools etc won't be closed but cleaning of virus prone areas will be increased. So maybe a different strategy to most other countries will be trialed here..

They’re trying to kick this down the road and then can have the Easter holidays .

Its a controversial  move if confirmed but could go badly wrong.

• Like 1

Posted

A conference where, out of c175 attendees, 70+ were infected and a led to a cascade of containment, isolation, and quarantines all over the world.

It opened with breakfast, at 7 a.m., in the Harbor View Ballroom of the Boston Marriott Long Wharf hotel, where a wide bank of windows offers a sublime view across the inner harbor, steel gray on a cloudy morning, to Logan Airport in the distance.

About 175 executives were expected at the Biogen leadership conference on Feb. 26. Employees from Biogen locations around the United States and the world reunited with colleagues they don’t often get to see.

They greeted each other enthusiastically, with handshakes and hugs, and then caught up over breakfast, picking from plates of pastries and the self-serve hot food bar.

They were there for two days of discussions and presentations about the future of the Cambridge-based, multinational biotech firm, which develops therapies for neurological diseases. It was the kind of under-the-radar gathering that happens in this region just about every week.

Within days, though, the Biogen conference would be infamous, identified as an epicenter of the Massachusetts outbreak of Covid-19, with 70 of 92 coronavirus infections in the state linked to the conference as of Tuesday night, including employees and those who came into contact with them. That doesn’t include a cascade of individual cases in Tennessee, North Carolina, Indiana, New Jersey, Washington, D.C., and Norway, and suspected cases in Germany, Austria, and Argentina.

RT3MAKCL2AI6TNGWWUNZUDONEE.jpg
WWW.BOSTONGLOBE.COM

Amid ominous signs after a routine conference, a frightening realization slowly dawned: The virus was on the loose.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
9 minutes ago, weirpig said:

I see there as been a study  that shows  the virus is at its most contagious  before symptoms show.

skynews-istock-cheek-swab-throat-swab_49
NEWS.SKY.COM

Viral shedding, the process of the virus cells replicating and spreading on, occurs more in the early days of infection.

Great  

Especially as the pm is not been tested because he has no symptoms, no one knows if he caught it off the health minister or not, anyone who had any contact could right now be spreading it, considering she's been in Parliament, that could be happening anywhere in the country right now. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

They’re trying to kick this down the road and then can have the Easter holidays .

FK this education stuff - so what if kids have to have a year off to save their lives then so be it, if that means they end up working one xtra year till they're 70 instead of 69 after being 1 year out of education - price worth paying.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
1 minute ago, Stabilo19 said:

Schools need to more clean full stop. All i ever see from the cleaners at bubs is emptying of the bins and a half hearted  walk with a hoover that doesn't look like it could pick up anything. I hope they at least wash the sinks and bleach the loos - the drinking fountain was an absolute disgrace. They ask the kids to take their shoes off (as it supposed to make them more comfortable) which doesn't bother me, what does bother me is the fact staff doesn't do the same and bubs socks come back black just from walking on the carpet alone.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
1 hour ago, alexisj9 said:

Not seen what you are on about, probably cause I don't use twitter. 

Don’t worry, you haven’t missed much!

The one I saw read “hope it goes through her rotten b***ard party like a dose of salts.”

Only Twitter but I still felt the need to do another washing of hands afterwards.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes, London gonna explode in next week with people back from Italy, now Liverpool gonna explode as well - great.

Indeed!

And, IMO, it's in times like these that we all need to put aside our political differences and work together for the nation as a whole? And, it's good to see that Boris is now showing some of that Churchillian spirit, he so admires...We really are all in this together!

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I'll be surprised if we can make it through to Easter holidays without schools closing, but they are for sure going to kick it down the road long enough that the peak coincides with the easter holidays. I think at the moment they will probably extend the easter holiday 1 week either side of the holiday, and maybe reduce the summer holiday to compensate? We will see, that will cause its own logistical problems.

• Like 1

Posted
14 hours ago, abruzzi spur said:

There's an understandable amount of anxiety and stress around at the moment related to CV, not least in here where there are 10s of posts an hour, some based on more science and expert evidence than others.  It's really worth taking time out as a few have said.  Latest WHO guidance on mental health during this situation (note in particular point 3). 

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/mental-health-considerations.pdf?sfvrsn=6d3578af_2

Just bumping this as i believe it is very useful.

Might be an idea for Mods to continue to bump it or pin the link somewhere?

• Like 2