Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
1 minute ago, Snipper said:

Is being anxious and depressed for so many  a relatively new thing or has it always been there but disguised with a stiff upper lip?

Im sure Depression etc  as always been there    but its been brought much more to the front  which as made it more acceptable to talk about 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Snipper said:

Is being anxious and depressed for so many  a relatively new thing or has it always been there but disguised with a stiff upper lip?

Mainly the latter . And it’s much worse for men.

Women have much more support as their friendships are on a different level . 

Men skim the surface with their friends . 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
37 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Strange.    As Wolves game against Olympiacos   in Greece   goes ahead for Thursday.  Nuno  not happy

Everyone at Olympiacos has tested negative.

I can see the domestic season either ending as it is, null and void it or play the remaining games into June if the Euros is pushed back to 2021 and things improve with lower corona cases.

• Like 1

Posted
44 minutes ago, Saint coolio said:

Meantime, first premiership game called off because of the virus because some arsenal players met one person with the disease..... meantime 5,000 fans from Madrid in Liverpool tonight.   Madrid has more ‘diagnosed’ cases than the UK and over 30 deaths (which in itself suggests the Madrid cluster is much larger than the official figures). 

Craziness.

Yeah I mean that is a little baffling, Madrid clearly has a decent sized cluster given how quickly rates of infection are being caught in that area now. Certainly a chance someone will come over infected and spread it further in the UK, mind you at this point its porbably circulating quite well on its own.

Denmark up another 78 cases.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Everyone at Olympiacos has tested negative.

I can see the domestic season either ending as it is, null and void it or play the remaining games into June if the Euros is pushed back to 2021 and things improve with lower corona cases.

You cant end the domestic league now.   There will be uproar  if teams go down  losing  millions of pounds  when all the fixtures have not been played.  Some teams  have horrible  run ins  compared to some   the league could turn on its head in the next 5 games etc   And then if you play behind closed  doors  all home games will lose its advantage    

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 2

Posted

Labour MP Rachael Maskell is self-isolating as a result of a meeting she had with the Nadine Dorries

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, Snipper said:

I think it's a bit of both. 

Mental health issues have become a bit less taboo so are more openly discussed nowadays. I also think this generation of people (millennials) face different pressures to their parents generation, exacerbated by social media and a feeling of inadequacy compared to others etc. 

For example, we're now relentlessly bombarded by celebrities and "influencers" constantly sharing their idyllic, perfect lives and a lot of younger people want to impossibly aspire to unrealistic expectations.

For myself personally, it started when I was a teenager even though my home life was pretty good, so no idea where it came from and then I lost my younger sister when I was 21 (she was 15) which I'm pretty sure has given me some kind of PTSD.

The human psyche is a fragile thing and some of us are just more susceptible and sensitive to developing mental health issues. 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, weirpig said:

You cant end the domestic league now.   There will be uproar  if teams go down  losing  millions of pounds  when all the fixtures have not been played.  Some teams  have horrible  run ins  compared to some   the league could turn on its head in the next 5 games etc   

The best move I could see would be axe the games after this weekend that could then give a 3 or 4 week window of with just 1 or 2 games to re schedule with the international break coming up from the end of next weekend to the first weekend in April

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

The best move I could see would be axe the games after this weekend that could then give a 3 or 4 week window of with just 1 or 2 games to re schedule with the international break coming up from the end of next weekend to the first weekend in April

But in 3 or 4 weeks  the outbreak  will be 10s of times worse    and the games if they went ahead will still have to be played behind closed doors.   It really makes the league unfair.  Not for the winner   which will obviously be Lpool regardless   but for those battling relegation  and trying to gain European spots.    For me just stop it now  and  start again when  hopefully it all dies down.  If it takes 6 months or more than so be it.  

• Like 3

Posted

Sums up what we were posting on here last night - they are not testing people unless they have come from a risk area abroad or direct contact with a diagnosed person;

Source is Guardian online.

714D1A2D-1D7A-4ED9-9667-8E067A3887F7.jpeg

3956E78A-C467-4F2A-B760-28256C600519.jpeg

B68B0384-9FD8-44E2-ACD4-620A1FA28073.jpeg

Edited by lottiekent
Added source
  • Like 4

Posted
41 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Much mental illness is caused by stress, so the more stressful the world, the more mental illness will be prevalent. I was reading something really interesting about how a sense of emotional safety we find in belonging to something meaningful (a small community, religous group, village, hobby organisation, sport etc) makes us happier than anything including money - I shall try and dig it out. There are a lot of changes we need to make in society to combat the mental health epidemic, talking and medication is not enough. Poor nutrition doesn't help either - that's why I have an allotment.

I have suffered from horrendous anxiety on and off in life but I seem to be able to cope well in a crisis (lots of practice - lol) but I have noticed those around me who don't suffer from anxiety become more and more anxious because of the virus. For example, I work 2 days a week in an office environment and the growing anger there against a colleague who goes to gigs in London twice a week and doesn't seem to be doing the hand gel or hand-washing things and despite being a diabetic, he doesn't seem to care about the virus. I have heard at least 3 times 'if I catch it, it will be because of him'. Someone has already asked to work from home because of him. People are anxious and rightly so I feel.

Edited by Team Squirrel
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

For what it's worth, my journey on the London underground (Victoria line southbound) this morning was as busy as ever. 2 people coughing in the carriage.

Nothing to suggest coronavirus spreading widely in London yet IMO.

Posted

China have reported 24 new cases, 22 new deaths all of which are in Hubei and 31 suspected cases.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

For what it's worth, my journey on the London underground (Victoria line southbound) this morning was as busy as ever. 2 people coughing in the carriage.

While I fully support the current management of the coronavirus outbreak in the UK, maybe there should be greater transparency concerning the amount of community transmission that the testing reveals or is modelled..

Posted

The weird bubble remains across the sw of France .

As of last night no confirmed cases reported across Hautes Pyrenees , Ariege, Pyrenees Orientale . And just one case in the Pyrenees Atlantique . No cases in the southern part of Lot and Garonne .

All this areas directly border the Pyrenees .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.

Is confirmed cases being miss represented!!!

Public Health England, which has already carried out more than 25,000 coronavirus tests across the UK, is set to expand the number of people it can test a day to 10,000 - currently 1,500 are being carried out.

So if only 1500 or less are actually being tested with most people being told to self isolate if they have certain symptom's when they call 111rather than go and get tested do we know the true picture and extent. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The weird bubble remains across the sw of France .

As of last night no confirmed cases reported across Hautes Pyrenees , Ariege, Pyrenees Orientale . And just one case in the Pyrenees Atlantique . No cases in the southern part of Lot and Garonne .

All this areas directly border the Pyrenees .

It is interesting to see these little local bubbles, we've kind of got a larger one here in this part of NW Europe as well, with Belgium, Netherlands and the UK all showing a slower rate of growth than the rest of W.Europe and now most of central Europe as well.

Good to see the cutting of interest rates, but they need to do something major to help small business and retail, because in particular the latter was struggling even before coronavirus.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

It is interesting to see these little local bubbles, we've kind of got a larger one here in this part of NW Europe as well, with Belgium, Netherlands and the UK all showing a slower rate of growth than the rest of W.Europe and now most of central Europe as well.

Good to see the cutting of interest rates, but they need to do something major to help small business and retail, because in particular the latter was struggling even before coronavirus.

I got my Garonnes wrong ! It’s Haute Garonne . But yes some strange bubbles when those areas of France still have a lot of visitors . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

I see some on the extreme left not covering themselves in glory on Twitter with their response to Nadine Dorries testing positive.

”They go low we go high”. Yeah right.

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, jonboy said:

Public Health England, which has already carried out more than 25,000 coronavirus tests across the UK, is set to expand the number of people it can test a day to 10,000 - currently 1,500 are being carried out.

So if only 1500 or less are actually being tested with most people being told to self isolate if they have certain symptom's when they call 111rather than go and get tested do we know the true picture and extent. 

The Numbers will most certainly  go up   they have introduced a drive through test here in Wolverhampton     with place like this popping up across the country   more and more cases will arise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Just to try and lighten the mood and with sincere apologies to all our esteemed members in France, but the French do seem to have the answer:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
11 minutes ago, jonboy said:

The picture in all countries will underestimate case numbers, all we can say based from testing numbers being higher than most others is that our numbers are underestimated less than most countries.

With 10,000 per day we should quickly pile up a few hundred thousand which is a good sample size.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
25 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Soon will be if that carries on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.
2 minutes ago, weirpig said:

The Numbers will most certainly  go up   they have introduced a drive through test here in Wolverhampton     with place like this popping up across the country   more and more cases will arise.

But the drive through is not a facility you can just go to it is by appointment only and is purely intended to keep potential cases away from the main hospital sites

• Like 1