Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
10 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

An excellent move by the Italian government . All mortgage payments are to be suspended . Doesn’t say for how long but this should be a huge relief to people there.

Until Italian banks already short on reserves start to fail...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
8 hours ago, Donegal said:

Might be an idea to do it here too. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
4 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

True but they know the EU will bail them out.

Posted
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

True but they know the EU will bail them out.

Italy was fast approaching 'basket case' economy before this. To stop it going deep deep into recession the man in The Vatican will have to work an absolute miracle.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Paul Faulkner said:

image.thumb.png.2d15bb858865686d75b89e40d3875cac.png

Might be to do with the fact Japan is also barely testing people (only jst a little better than the USA on that front!)

I wonder why they aren't testing...couldn't be because of something beginning with O I wonder??

Posted

There is a 74 year old US President going to go up against either of 2 men who are not far off 80 years old themselves in an election this year and if the coronavirus takes off in the US.....

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

So they should just let people lose their homes ! Making a bad situation even worse.

A few months of suspension I don’t think will sink Italian banks and I’m sure the government thought of this before putting in this measure .

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Paul Faulkner said:

Ohh strange moment when i saw who posted that.   anyway  that really as peaked my interest    7 days time  we could be in lock down ourselves   

Posted
Just now, Paul Faulkner said:

Saw that just now on Mailonline. His colleague at Uni London, biology prof Dr Francis Balloux "trajectory of the epidemic in the UK so far roughly comparable to the one in N Italy" Italy 2 to 3 wks ahead of UK

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Might be to do with the fact Japan is also barely testing people (only jst a little better than the USA on that front!)

I wonder why they aren't testing...couldn't be because of something beginning with O I wonder??

Could be something beginning N pehaps?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 hours ago, knocker said:

I do not post in this thread for two reasons.

1, I don’t know enough about the subject so my comments would be worthless

2 The ban on the political dimension means that it cannot be discussed properly to the relevant depth and detail

What I mean by this can be sunned up by the following extract from an article by Rachel Sylvester in Today’s Times

The Covid-19 outbreak is another reminder that the divide between the health and social care systems is not only artificial, it is counterproductive. With elderly people more vulnerable to the disease, the pressure on hospitals is sure to grow but what could turn difficulty into disaster is the lack of social care for those who are well enough to go home.

Already NHS wards are full of elderly patients who have no medical need to be in hospital. More than 148,000 bed days were lost in December alone as a result of delayed discharges. There has also been a 35 per cent rise in the number of dementia patients turning up at accident and emergency departments over the past five years following day care centre closures.

The system is driven by perverse incentives. It costs about £250 a day for someone to be on a hospital ward and £100 for a domiciliary care package, so from the point of view of the NHS (and the taxpayer) it makes sense for elderly people to go home quickly — but councils, which are responsible for funding social care, have a financial motive to transfer the cost to hospitals. Although health funding has been ring-fenced, local authorities face a shortfall of almost £4 billion by 2025 in social care budgets.

According to Age UK, 1.5 million elderly people are not getting the care and support they need. More than 1,600 residential and nursing homes have closed in the past five years and the government’s post-Brexit immigration policy, which includes a minimum salary threshold, will only make matters worse. There are already 122,000 vacancies in the sector and one in 11 care workers is from the EU.

I realise this post will be removed tout suite

May be but I hope it isn't deleted , full of pure facts, that really do need addressing rather quickly, if this virus does take hold. 

• Like 4

Posted
11 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

I asked about bank captialisation and stress testing way back at the start of the thread and i think it was Bristol Boy that said UK institutions were in much stronger positions than back in 2007/8.

Italy/Germany however?  And.... the US.  There is no safety net in the US and the markets have taken a kicking so peoples saving will have been hit over there.

Posted

I’m not totally convinced yet that the situation in northern Italy is going to be replicated in the rest of Europe .

Its not just how many cases but whether they are evenly spread or whether you get a huge amount suddenly in one area which overwhelms services there .

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

The death toll in Spain has increased to 31

I mentioned Spain yesterday...

This is one to watch and i would not be suprised if the tourist industry takes a big hit this year.

Edited by northwestsnow

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

I’m not totally convinced yet that the situation in northern Italy is going to be replicated in the rest of Europe .

Its not just how many cases but whether they are evenly spread or whether you get a huge amount suddenly in one area which overwhelms services there .

It's a good point, Nick. At the mo UK cases are quite evenly spread, which, in theory, means all the local NHS trust hospitals should be able to isolate and treat. Only time will tell.

• Like 4

Guest Delete Me
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Me either, if the UK can keep to 400 cases by tomorrow and theres no massive jump today then we are doing well.

BA have cancelled all flights to Italy in a move that will be replicated now by other airlines.

The government need to think about how to help the aviation industry in some way before we lose even more tour operators and airlines

Posted
Just now, Bristle boy said:

It's a good point, Nick. At the mo UK cases are quite evenly spread, which, in theory, means all the local NHS trust hospitals should be able to isolate and treat. Only time will tell.

Thanks . The media seem to ignore there are factors there which might be crucial in how the situation developed and might not be replicated elsewhere .

Just because other countries are at similar rates with a time lag doesn’t mean they are going to behave in the same way moving forward .

I think for the timebeing we just don’t know what will happen . Clearly northern Italy should be seen as a warning shot to the rest of Europe that things can unravel quickly .

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

China's latest update shows just 19 new cases all but 2 are in Wuhan

The mainland has had 80,754 confirmed cases and 3,136 deaths since the outbreak began at the end of last year

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

If a specific location of community spread on a fairly large scale appears in the coming days then there will be concern that it could replicate the Northern Italy situation. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, saint said:

If a specific location of community spread on a fairly large scale appears in the coming days then there will be concern that it could replicate the Northern Italy situation. 

Well other governments have seen what can happen so I’m sure are more prepared now , or we hope they are !

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Well other governments have seen what can happen so I’m sure are more prepared now , or we hope they are !

I think that is when we will see the delay approach kick-in and more restrictions put in place, possibly on certain regions. 

Edited by saint
  • Like 1