Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
30 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I read something somewhere we might have beds stashed around the country from the war? Not sure how true that is.

Lol Which War.   What a bloody  country 

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

Why is the Cheltenham festival going ahead when it was abandoned in 2001 because of foot and mouth which started late February?

I suppose from the animals perspective, foot and mouth had a 100% CFR, in that any animal with symptoms was slaughtered and incinerated.

But yes, i get what you are saying, it seems odd.

• Like 2

Posted
40 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I read something somewhere we might have beds stashed around the country from the war? Not sure how true that is.

The Netherlands has, we have at least 2 calamity hospitals (1 Amsterdam 1 utrecht )in nuclear fallout shelters. I can't imagine the UK having none

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
20 minutes ago, SnowBear said:

A convalescent hospital? A half way house? Used to have those once upon a time. Usually in lovely grounds with lawns and trees. 

Yes, exactly that, facilities in the community (like the old cottage/rehab hospitals) where patients can be “stepped up” to observe/treat accordingly or patients can be “stepped down” as a half way house to getting them home sensibly and appropriately.  They experimented with this in Sandwell again some years ago and I think it worked well.  The big issue is the acute units are always knocking at the door trying to offload their cases into these beds and sometimes inappropriately so managing the case load into these intermediate care facilities has to be done carefully.         

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, ArHu3 said:

The Netherlands has, we have at least 2 calamity hospitals (1 Amsterdam 1 utrecht )in nuclear fallout shelters. I can't imagine the UK having none

Yes you're right, might be the cold war.

Posted

On the plus side, there are going to be some amazing travel bargains in the next few weeks as airlines struggle to fill planes. And the popular destinations will be much quieter for a little spring break. 

Posted

There’s an excellent article in Liberation here in France.  Le Coronavirus n’est pas une  grippette.

Picking out some of the key points it reports .

25% of people who end up in a serious  condition have no underlying conditions .

The virus causes a very severe form of pneumonia much worse than in the flu . 

The narrative that just old people die isn’t so clear  , although I suppose it depends on what we think of as old.

In normal flu around 86% of people who die are over 70 years old , with coronavirus it’s around 50%.

• Like 4

Posted

Testing is all important here.

My Aunt in Jersey is in bed with flu like symptoms but hasn't been tested.

Without testing, we don't know the full extent.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
5 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Yes you're right, might be the cold war.

Must be because i doubt nuclear fall out shelters would have been developed at a cost during second world war just on the off chance Germany might be the first to develop nuclear weapons.

• Like 1

Posted

Have not checked if this has been posted, but if not, a good article from John Sopel at the beeb about the problems for the US and Trump.  

p0864xgb.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The coronavirus crisis is testing the US president, who wants the markets to thrive all the time.

If it puts down proper roots over there, and it is not seasonal, then worrying times ahead for the US. The US's +40% obesity rate will not help either.

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

25% of people who end up in a serious  condition have no underlying conditions .

Comforting thought for the day.

Posted
43 minutes ago, Azazel said:

So my two friends are home from Italy now and they are aware of the "advice" to self isolate. I've made them at least promise to call their places of work to see what their employer's stance on the matter is. They both actually have sensitive jobs so I would be stunned if they're advised to come in.

Ask them to read this and then ask if they want to go there....

1237142891077697538.jpg
THREADREADERAPP.COM

Thread by @jasonvanschoor: From a well respected friend and intensivist/A&E consultant who is currently in northern Italy: 1/ ‘I feel thegive you a quick...

Edited by Gael_Force
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, Azazel said:

Comforting thought for the day.

It doesn’t get much press because people tend to look at the death rate which is understandable.

But still I was a bit shocked by that data .

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Gael_Force said:

Ask them to read this and ask if they want to there....

1237142891077697538.jpg
THREADREADERAPP.COM

Thread by @jasonvanschoor: From a well respected friend and intensivist/A&E consultant who is currently in northern Italy: 1/ ‘I feel thegive you a quick...

They're home now. I promised to shut up about it if they self-isolate. I've also promised to deliver food and supplies to them should they need it to stop them leaving their houses.

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

It doesn’t get much press because people tend to look at the death rate which is understandable.

But still I was a bit shocked by that data .

Yes I've always thought that will be the main issue - not just people outright dying from the virus, but the number of people who will swamp our hospitals.

• Like 4

Posted

on a side note, does anyone know why Netweather has suddenly decided to email me whenever someone posts in this thread? It never did before, now my email inbox is full of you guys:D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
2 minutes ago, Azazel said:

on a side note, does anyone know why Netweather has suddenly decided to email me whenever someone posts in this thread? It never did before, now my email inbox is full of you guys:D

You must of clicked to follow thread and chose the option to have emails to inform you of any new posts. 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Polar Maritime said:

You must of clicked to follow thread and chose the option to have emails to inform you of any new posts. 

I don't remember doing that, but i've gone into my settings and turned it off now.

• Like 3

Posted

An excellent move by the Italian government . All mortgage payments are to be suspended . Doesn’t say for how long but this should be a huge relief to people there.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
11 hours ago, ThundersnowDays said:

Some of my family in isolation after contact with a positive case. In Devon btw.

I hope they will all be fine. 

• Like 4