Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
5 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Strangely, I had one of the worst chest infections I've ever had over Christmas. Completely ruined the festive period for me. 

My niece and nephew (who got the flu jab) got it from school, my sister (who got the flu jab) and her fiancé got it from them, my mother (who had the flu jab) got from them when she was going over to help out, she passed it onto her boyfriend and friends. (I'm assuming it was a different strain than the one they gave the jab for)

Yet despite living with my mother and looking after her during it (she ended up with pneumonia) I got almost absolutely nothing other than a niggly wheezy cough. (which I still have almost 3 months later! Doc of course did the whole "chest is clear so can't do anything about a cough", I just have to let it 'run it's course'...)

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

My main priority would be to avoid a situation such as Italy. Anyone with a modicum of brainpower and awareness can see the NHS will fold in that scenario. You'd be going all out to avoid that, no? Unless of course you're the type of person that wants it to go under.

If the spread remains slow then the NHS will be okay but the number of critical care beds is much lower than in  Italy .

Germany has 4 times as many per 100,000 population than the UK .

I’d expect more are being added in the UK but you’re certainly right , if anything like northern Italy happens in the UK especially if it’s an area with a huge amount of cases over a smallish area then the NHS there would be in big trouble .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
10 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

So, c'mon CC what would you do? The government are NOT making these decisions lightly OR on their own. They will be solely acting on advice from medical experts. Maybe it is time for the govt to add some of the 'experts' in here to their advisory panel

Of course it is balancing measures against the immediate economic consequences of doing so. However given how things went downhill quickly in Italy then I am surprised they are holding back from introducing tougher measures. Only time will tell I guess whether this was the wrong call or not.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

All those who are saying they've had it last year, or a friend had it or thought they might have it... almost certainly no you didn't.

The difference between this and a bad cold is minimal for most people, it's 99.99999% more likely that you had a cold.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

The UK will cope just fine.

Yes of course it will if the spread remains slow .  And if the spread is more uniform so you don’t see particular areas much more badly effected .

Posted
6 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Of course it is balancing measures against the immediate economic consequences of doing so. However given how things went downhill quickly in Italy then I am surprised they are holding back from introducing tougher measures. Only time will tell I guess whether this was the wrong call or not.

It depends whether "tougher measures" would work, whatever those "tougher measures" are. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

So the only official government action so far to contain the virus amongst the general public is tell us to keep washing our hands? Is that the long and short of it?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Of general interest, this is from a Doctor in London who posts on an NCFC forum:

COVID clarification. I’m not suggesting panic. General population will likely not be too sick.
However, we are starting to see VERY sick individuals requiring ITU.
I personally intubated 2 over my weekend on call. 
NHS will struggle if this continues
I knew anaesthesia was a bad idea!!
Follow general advice. Hand wash etc and just be a bit cleaner!
Do not panic buy! 
No need for masks in the street! Your ones don’t work.

He also mentions that it appears to be more aggressive if you suffer from hypertension (high blood pressure). Also, it seems to spare children and pregnant women (unlike swine flu).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Just now, Nick L said:

So the only official government action so far to contain the virus amongst the general public is tell us to keep washing our hands? Is that the long and short of it?

Pretty much 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Breaking: England reports 46 new cases of Coronavirus to 9am today. This is 19 less than yesterday to the same time.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
10 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

So , please 'humour me and run by the 'Hows' and 'Why's' the UK will 'cope just fine' as , wherever I look, the structures needed to help the UK 'to be fine' are already creaking under the strain that 10 years of 'trimming of funding' has brought them and all this before we see the major whack over 'Peak infection'?

I'm sure most of us are aware of how badly the Health Service has been hit by the (I'll put it 'kindly') 'appalling mismanagement' by the Govt. over the past decade? 

Then you have the 'Societal Inequalities' leading to the glut of 'zero hour type jobs?

Then there's the 'Childcare' foreshortening esp. if we see a 4 month 'school closure' period (as Govt. has mooted?)?

I could go on but 'they' might feel I'm 'Politicking' and not 'Observing' what's on the ground right now?

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted

319 cases now in the UK, still not quite taking off like in other European countries, but certainly still going up.

I guess COBRA knew these numbers in advance and decided it didn't yet warrant the upswing in measures.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 3

Posted
31 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

Now this seams interesting

imageproxy.php?img=&key=8d7953939bb9d610
WWW.STOKESENTINEL.CO.UK

Doctor says household product is effective if soaps and sanitisers are not available

The mechanical action of hand washing while slucing under water is what actually removes the bulk of bugs, but oil and grease will help some stick.

So - any detergent will be effective, solid soap bars, shower gel, shampoo, washing up liquid, even shaving foam. Basically anything that will form a soap lather and help remove oils and grease from the hands under running water. Anti-bac soaps do help in killing any small percentage of bacteria that remain and also stops them from multiplying, but that does not apply to viruses.

• Like 1

Posted

Geographically speaking the UK has advantages in terms of having to transfer patients to different hospitals and between towns .

Countries which are much bigger with lots of isolated communities have more of a struggle .

However much depends on how quickly the virus spreads. And the issue of how many critical care beds you have available is crucial then .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
1 minute ago, swebby said:

The mechanical action of hand washing while slucing under water is what actually removes the bulk of bugs, but oil and grease will help some stick.

So - any detergent will be effective, solid soap bars, shower gel, shampoo, washing up liquid, even shaving foam. Basically anything that will form a soap lather and help remove oils and grease from the hands under running water. Anti-bac soaps do help in killing any small percentage of bacteria that remain and also stops them from multiplying, but that does not apply to viruses.

That's where our friend 'Bleach' comes in my friend!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, cold snowy winters, thunderstorms

Big falls on us markets. Not seen 2k points drop in my lifetime. Bouncing back off lows abit now. 

Screenshot_20200309-135052_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

UK figures

• 24,960 people tested
  • 24,641 negative
  • 319 positive
  • 3 deaths

New cases in the 24 hours to 9am for England have fallen by 19

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

The comment wasn't aimed at you? I was more alluding to Boris...

There is no evidence to say Boris wants it to "go under". Too many people in here are showing v clear signs of fear taking over rational thinking. There aint much more we can do, without completely shutting the country and our economy down. 

Weeks ago i had every faith in the NHS, the medical experts to contain this - i still have - that Whitty chap seems a thoroughly professional guy to steer the govt and the nation through this.

• Like 6

Posted
15 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Unless it snows?

• Like 8

Posted
1 minute ago, The4Seasons said:

Big falls on us markets. Not seen 2k points drop in my lifetime. Bouncing back off lows abit now. 

Screenshot_20200309-135052_Chrome.jpg

Good ole Trumtpy Dumpty won't be happy with this news at all!

Anyway at least there is a positive that the virus hasn't really taken off here yet, probably justifies the staying in containment phase. Once we start seeing jumps in the 000s then I think it will be time to shift focus. Got to think that is days away now, especially with the large growth of cases in Europe over the last 5-7 days.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

Three British skiers have been hospitalized in Austria with coronavirus after contracting the most 'aggressive virus strain' in Italy

• Group had been staying in Italy before going to a busy ski resorts in Saalbach
  • It is height of winter ski season and Saalbach is hosting Alpine Skiing World Cup
  • Dr Richard Greil described Italy's massive outbreak as 'completely out of control'
  • Widely speculated that Italy has stronger variant of virus - known as 'L' type

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8091313/British-skiers-hospitalized-Austria-coronavirus.html

May explain why it's so bad in Italy

That doesn’t make sense though, if the L type is in Italy it will be here too, courtesy of our skiing schoolchildren.....

• Like 1

Posted

Cases by region in England

• East of England | 24 (+1)
  • London | 61 (+10)
  • Midlands | 31 (+6)
  • North East and Yorkshire | 22 (+4)
  • North West | 35 (+4)
  • South East | 43 (+2)
  • South West | 38  (+3)

To be determined | 24 (+4)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
3 minutes ago, swebby said:

Unless it snows?

Or out of season leaf falls....

• Like 1