Sign in to follow this  
Snipper

Novel Coronavirus – China

3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The discussion part is interesting . There’s currently a drug licensed which uses camostat mesilate which researchers showed managed to block the entry of the virus into the lungs but clinical trials would be needed . That drug is already licensed in Japan but for pancreatis.

The issue here of course is that you’d have to start this drug before entry into the lungs and it’s not a case of giving patients or their families a chance to use this as a measure of last resort.

Once reaction to the virus has lead to pneumonia then this drug I wouldn’t have thought could be of much benefit .

From quick glance it looks like it stops it spreading to other cells in your lungs too, so hopefully could result in a milder disease.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, thundercrazy said:

Now watch all the cigarettes sell out!!

It'll sure make Mike Pence happy!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Maybe some good news

So what's a protease inhibitor, something like tamiflu? 

28 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

I suppose no tests = no new cases. 

Serious he is such a buffoon, when USA jumps into the 1000s next week when proper tests finally happen he is going to look the fool.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

I think that a protease in an enzyme that cuts-up proteins, and a protease inhibitor slows down that process?

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 4

Has links to data sources

60674295?s=400&v=4
GITHUB.COM

Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Cases, provided by JHU CSSE - CSSEGISandData/COVID-19

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Not massively sure haha.

ive read quite a bit now on the efficacy of Chloroquine which is being used to treat people in China and The Netherlands. It seems to be pretty effective?

also available without prescription in the UK. It’s an anti malarial 

• Like 1

323872_1100-732x549.jpg
WWW.MEDICALNEWSTODAY.COM

Protease inhibitors are a class of HIV medication. They block the function of HIV protease enzymes. Taken with other antiretroviral drugs, protease inhibitors help prevent HIV from multiplying. Brand...

• Like 3

Disclose.tv

@disclosetv·1m

BREAKING - Italy reports 778 new #COVID19 cases and 49 new deaths, total now 4,636 coronavirus infections, 197 dead.

34 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I’ve read peoples opinions and interpretations because I’m not smart enough to make my own conclusions.

some chatter about smoking actually being beneficial in the sense it inhibits ACE2 expression making it harder for the virus to get in.

would be absolutely bizarre and so very very ironic if smoking actually had a chance at saving your life.

I read somewhere else it was the complete opposite, be interesting if thinking on this has moved on though.  

This article suggests ACE2 is the reason smokers are at greater risk

GettyImages-1201476588.jpg?resize=1200,6
WWW.GOOGLE.CO.UK

China's sky high smoking rate among men may help explain why they're more susceptible to coronavirus infection and death.

• Like 1

Something really doesn't make sense with the Italy numbers. It takes a week or 2 to kill you so when the death numbers are compared to the cases reported last week, which was about 200 per day then that is really high. They must be missing thousands of cases.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pip22 said:

Disclose.tv

@disclosetv·1m

BREAKING - Italy reports 778 new #COVID19 cases and 49 new deaths, total now 4,636 coronavirus infections, 197 dead.

Yep a decent amount, thankfully not a huge rise in terms of comparing with yesterdays numbers per day.

Still that death total is really starting to rachet up in Italy.

Just as a reminder, Swine Flu was estimated to kill about 284,000 by WHO over an 18ish month period. So that is our first possible target, blow past that and then we reach the 60/70s outbreaks (Hong Kong outbreak from the 60s I believe?) which I think was in the 1mil range...go past that and then we are getting into the real big leagues...

However my gut is we don't get to those levels, maybe something approaching the Hong Kong outbreak but obviously hope it doesn't go near that level!

• Like 3

Man in chemist shop: ‘What can I use to disinfect kitchen surfaces against this coronavirus?’

Woman behind counter: ‘Ammonia cleaner’.

Man: ‘Oh sorry, I thought you were serving

• Like 6

11 new cases in New York.

Total now 33 in New York state.

• Like 1

AgEXQVpma1YxckxKUkdhNWVFaXVIbm1wR3cAMA
APPLE.NEWS

Depiction from the 17th century of the plague in Italy, as seen in Rome's Museo Storico Nazionale Dell'Arte Sanitaria. Pandemics have afflicted civilizations throughout human history, with the...

• Like 3

Major wakeup call for Governments world wide. Imagine if it had a fatality rate of 10% to 20% or even a death rate like Ebola. They need to go back once this is over and draw up proper plans on how deal with such situations.

Heard an expert discussing re-infections so you may get it twice. Although possibly this maybe a case of not getting rid off it or a weakened immune system.

So far 56107 people have recovered as of now.

• Like 2

Just now, The PIT said:

Major wakeup call for Governments world wide. Imagine if it had a fatality rate of 10% to 20% or even a death rate like Ebola. They need to go back once this is over and draw up proper plans on how deal with such situations.

Heard an expert discussing re-infections so you may get it twice. Although possibly this maybe a case of not getting rid off it or a weakened immune system.

So far 56107 people have recovered as of now.

Worth remembering the estimated mortality rate for the Spanish Flu was around 2.5%, which seems to be at least in the ballpark of where this is at the moment, though obviously way too early to make any real estimates of where that figure will end up. gives an idea of what the upper limit may end up being though,

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Something really doesn't make sense with the Italy numbers. It takes a week or 2 to kill you so when the death numbers are compared to the cases reported last week, which was about 200 per day then that is really high. They must be missing thousands of cases.

If you read the letter from clinicians, someone posted yesterday, you'll see cases are arriving at hospital with a very poor survival outcome. There doesn't seem to be the long stays in ICU before death announced.

Just to add... the very first case (38 year old marathon runner) is still in intensive care along with approx 400 others. Situation is apparently desperate in locked down communities.

Nowhere is the situation more acute than in the areas under quarantine. In Castiglione d’Adda, a town of 4,600 in Lombardy, 18 people have died within the past two weeks and, as of Thursday, 121 inhabitants were infected. The youngest victim was a 55-year-old man; it is unclear whether he had an underlying illness. With three of the town’s five doctors in quarantine and two hospitalised with the virus, there is nobody to tend to the sick at home.

“We have many people with a fever who are at home and who are unable to be visited by a doctor,” Costantino Pesatori, the mayor of Castiglione d’Adda, told the Guardian. “A substitute doctor came but he wasn’t provided with protective clothing and so, justifiably, refused to see people at home.”

Edited by Gael_Force
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Worth remembering the estimated mortality rate for the Spanish Flu was around 2.5%, which seems to be at least in the ballpark of where this is at the moment, though obviously way too early to make any real estimates of where that figure will end up. gives an idea of what the upper limit may end up being though,

Made worse by the 1st world war as well remember.

Worth watching too see what happens in Africa. If starts rampaging there then we'll know summer temperatures won't stop it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Azazel said:

I’ve read peoples opinions and interpretations because I’m not smart enough to make my own conclusions.

some chatter about smoking actually being beneficial in the sense it inhibits ACE2 expression making it harder for the virus to get in.

would be absolutely bizarre and so very very ironic if smoking actually had a chance at saving your life.

Still not read this paper, but caution with the smoking being beneficial bit.

I posted a review way back near the start of the thread which indicated that nicotine may down regulate (reduce production of) ACE2 in the lungs.  This could be the "chatter" you have seen?  The authors noted this result as unexpected, but they were focusing on nicotine as they were looking at possible ill effects of vapping in the review. The effect of a single stimuli, nicotine, is not the same as saying smoking reduces the amount of ACE2 as there are plenty of other chemicals in cigarette smoke that may directly regulate ACE2 production, plus smoking could lead to other factors that indirectly effect ACE2 production.  Cell signaling pathways are a nightmare of complexity, you think you find an enzyme does one thing, or is effected in a specific way by a chemical only to find it does the exact opposite in a different part of the body or under different conditions.

Maybe, just maybe, smoking could reduce the likelihood of coming down with Covid-19. BUT what i can state with certainty is that smoking and viral pnuemonia which may result from Covid-19 is a really bad combination if you are after a positive outcome.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Made worse by the 1st world war as well remember.

Worth watching too see what happens in Africa. If starts rampaging there then we'll know summer temperatures won't stop it.

Oh yes of course, I don't think we are going to end up at that sort of level unless things really go wrong (even for some reason we do go higher in absolute numbers, as a percentage of the worlds population I don't think its going to be anywhere near that.)

Still I think this is clearly going to go down as a noteworthy pandemic (regardless if whether its 'offically' a pandemic or not...it clearly is)

• Like 1

Mike Pompeo has taken to using the term "Wuhan virus".

This is deeply concerning.

Senior politicians do not often miss-speak or are casual with their language, if he is saying this, he is doing so on purpose and you have to ask yourself why.  The obvious answer is he is playing a blame game - "it's all China's fault".  If he is taking the narrative in that direction, i think the figures in the US may be about to take a real bad turn for the worse?

Quote from the beeb

Diplomatic row brewing over 'Wuhan virus' comments

AFP/Getty ImagesCopyright: AFP/Getty Images

A mini-diplomatic row may be brewing after US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo described the coronavirus as the "Wuhan virus" - for the second day in a row.

Asked in a CNBC interview on Friday about the success of China's response to the outbreak, Mr Pompeo said: "I'm happy you complimented the Chinese Communist Party today, but remember this is the Wuhan coronavirus that's caused this."

And a day earlier, Mr Pompeo spoke about the "Wuhan virus' spread" when referring to US aid for countries hit by the virus.

His comments are likely to anger China, which is yet to publicly comment on the issue.

The novel coronavirus is believed to have originated in the Chinese city of Wuhan last year.

• Like 2