Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
3 hours ago, swebby said:

Hi GW, Norovirus, is exceptionally contagious and i'd be cautious about drawing comparisons with Covid-19 and the transmission pathways for gastric infections.

I'm not saying fecal-oral transmission should be ignored with Covid-19, and certainly not in hospitals or with young children, but it is a respiratory infection, so the contaminated surface contact pathway will be the most important consideration

?

Entry, via a mucus membrane, to develop No's at the back of the nose/top of the throat and then migration to the lower Lung lobes?

I'm missing your point somehow? 

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Not sure the message is being consistent. Schools close ten days, two days or not all when someone infected has used the school. People still allowed to go to Northern Italy on holidays for example. Seems a bit of a mish mash really and they don't seem to have a delay plan which they are now discussing.

Reminds me of work when they was a major network outage. All directors were the main hub basement with no idea want to do. One of the lesser managers said come on lets follow the emergency plan so one of the directors got the folder out and it was blank no plan in place at all. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Switzerland have reported 123 new cases and no new deaths

Total 210 cases and 1 death

That’s a shocking rise given the population of the country .

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

That’s a shocking rise given the population of the country .

I fear the numbers across much of Europe are going to sky rocket over the coming days and weeks Nick..

for the millions like myself with a poor immune system its a very worrying time.

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 7

Posted

Outrageous by the French! Only testing those with severe symptoms. 

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 2

Posted

Wouldn't be surprised if we got to 220 to 250 by tomorrow evening here.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Zero cases in Turkey right on Iran's doorstep? Not so sure I believe Erdogan.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

The fact that it is spreading, surely means people are still not following basic hygiene or advice?

Edited by Dami
  • Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

https://twitter.com/bfmtv/status/1235999612047155201?s=21

Perhaps they actually mean people with severe other conditions like a dodge heart, CPOD for example

French to English say this Only patients with a severe clinical condition will remain tested" in the contaminated territories

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
1 minute ago, Dami said:

The fact that it is spreading, surely means people are still not following basic hygiene or advice?

You can do all the hand-washing you want, but if someone on the train coughs in your face...

On another note, the number of people trotting out the "Who cares, it only kills the old" line seems finally to be calming down. Maybe someone pointed out that in the UK alone there are three million people over 80...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, Dami said:

Im sure that plays a part but once so many are infected, then just standing next to someone on the tube who breaths on you will pass it on  - we are passed the point of no return now, the hygienic route would have cut the mustard a month ago but not now. The panic buying of hand wipes would have been a good thing but its too late - reactionary not pro activity is the problem.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
9 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

https://twitter.com/bfmtv/status/1235999612047155201?s=21

What the hell else can they do here? Test everyone? It's almost at epidemic proportions in some small areas and some of them are not exactly metropolitan.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
7 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

1 new case confirmed in Northern Ireland

Total number of cases in the UK now 164

i don't get this whole numbers game..i bet the real number of those who are infected or have been infected is massively higher than being reported..if the vast majority of cases are only mild in nature then many wont report it or even know that they have had it... thinking they had a bad cold or bout of flu and just carried on?

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Spikecollie said:

What the hell else can they do here? Test everyone? It's almost at epidemic proportions in some small areas and some of them are not exactly metropolitan.

There's also the question of the number of staff available. I still think they mean people who are at high risk and need catching early.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
8 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Zero cases in Turkey right on Iran's doorstep? Not so sure I believe Erdogan.

I highly don’t believe that either. And with the Syrian refugees coming through from Turkey to Greece, they will have poor immune systems I should think, so not liking the possible political game of this.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

3 new deaths reported in the Seattle area.

That brings the totals deaths in Washington state to 14

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i don't get this whole numbers game..i bet the real number of those who are infected or have been infected is massively higher than being reported..if the vast majority of cases are only mild in nature then many wont report it or even know that they have had it... thinking they had a bad cold or bout of flu and just carried on?

According to the WHO who did a case study on Wuhan's version of this, suggested that there was no evidence of widespread under-reporting. Not to say there aren't some cases, but it doesn't appear to be a large chunk of people.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

Don’t give that excuse spike! South Korea have tested over 100,000 people, France “only” has 613 confirmed cases, you have the means too, they are concealing the truth just as it ramps up coincidence, I don’t think so. Likelihood it is many thousands if such measures are now being done. Out of control. 

the issue is this will be going largely undercover and unnoticed... france in some way has conceded defeat.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
4 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

And there inlies the problem, they have now spread it to more vulnerable people.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, snefnug said:

I highly don’t believe that either. And with the Syrian refugees coming through from Turkey to Greece, they will have poor immune systems I should think, so not liking the possible political game of this.

If they haven't got it they soon will have

Posted

?? ALERTE - Le Ministre de la Santé annonce que désormais,  seuls les cas graves hospitalisés et les cas symptomatiques dans les centres médico-sociaux seront testés, au vu de la progression du #COVID19 sur le territoire.

?? ALERT - The Minister of Health announces that from now on, only severe hospitalized cases and symptomatic cases in medico-social centers will be tested, in view of the progression of #COVID19 on the territory.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Not that it wasn’t ever concerning, but with all these outbreaks occurring, it is certainly a worrying time at the moment. 

With more preparation at the beginning, some of this could have been prevented. I think keeping clean and having good hygiene, while being aware of your contact with other people, should still hopefully help and reduce chances of any of us getting the virus. But am quite surprised at the speed it’s been spreading. 

It won’t change anything, but how we’d love for this virus to just clear off!

• Like 9