Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

27 minutes ago, parrotingfantasist said:

Fair enough, he wouldnt lie about it. Still nothing official though, but I guess that's expected. Doesnt say why he is in intensive care though. Either the virus put him there, or he caught it while in intensive care already.........neither is good, but the second is worse!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Just a thought on this virus

does it get weaker being transmitted from one person to another then the next and so on?

is there any news/info regarding this

just a thought.

Edited by Allseasons-si

4 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Anyone know what happens if it mutates? as they keep talking about it probably doing so but not giving an explanation as to the implications if it does.

I thought it already had, but it seems to be mixed as to which strain is where, and which one came first. As I understand it, theres a milder strain, and a nastier strain. Nothing fully conclusive on details I dont think, but I would guess thats pretty common for any type of flu. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
10 hours ago, Ryukai said:

That's just your immune system firing up and going to work on the inactive (aka dead) virus.  Sometimes it'll result in fatigue/muscle pain and very, very rarely a fever.  But it's not the jab contents itself that's affecting you, it's your immune system get a bit 'over enthusiastic'  

I was quite poorly what ever happened. Where i had the jab really hurt and I can't pin point what was wrong, looking at the symptoms it wasn't an allergic reaction, but it was more achey and fever, but it lasted a few weeks. Not sure having a over enthusiastic immune system is a good thing, but guess it's nice at least part of me is. 

Edited by Dami
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
12 minutes ago, Dami said:

I was quite poorly what ever happened. Where i had the jab really hurt and I can't pin point what was wrong, looking at the symptoms it wasn't an allergic reaction, but it was more achey and fever, but it lasted a few weeks. Not sure having a over enthusiastic immune system is a good thing, but guess it's nice at least part of me is. 

You sure you didn't have glandular fever instead?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
8 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Furthermore to above regarding humidity countries in Southeast Asia are very humid, Singapore I believe has not had a case in a while. While it has warmer climate, it may be the high humidity which is limiting factor. 

Aye Daniel...But, I think it may be climate's effect on human behaviour that creates problems: we, in high latitudes tend to huddle in warm places, during cold weather; those living in hot climes do the opposite: they huddle in large air-conditioned spaces, in order to escape the heat/humidity...Either way, huddling behaviour will increase the chance of a virus spreading...?

• Like 3

Posted

I expect the situation in China to continue to improve whilst things rapidly go down hill in Europe .

The northern Italy situation has finished off any chance of containment.

And it’s often those types of outbreaks which are quite shocking . I’m pretty sure no one in this thread would have put that region down as high risk .

It just shows how quickly things can unravel . 

Posted

Two questions, really. I note that so many of our UK cases are a result of half-term trips to Italy and Italy itself is in a dire situation. I don't feel enough is being done to prevent spread from Italy. China is now seeing reductions because of the stringent measures they put in place at their hotspots - but we don't seem to realise we need a similar response here in Europe? My elderly uncle is due to go on a 'trip of a lifetime' round Italy in May and he currently doesn't know what to do so as a family we've had many discussions about the Italy situation. Sure the planes are empty - but I feel travel restrictions should have been put on Italy as soon as the issues was realised. The current advice is 'go to Italy and come home, put yourself in isolation if you don't feel well'. Surely that's not enough in a place so utterly affected by COVID19? I also have a family member who works at Heathrow and some people there thinks it's nuts that planes still fly from Italy.

Also, do we have any figures on what are considered recovered cases? The common practice was to ship everyone positive off to hospital but where are they now? For example, 5 or 6 weeks since two Chinese people were hospitalised in York - what is there status now? We know they haven't died. What are our UK recovery figures?

P.s When I was at primary school, at lunchtime all the kids would walk from the classroom to the dinner queue apart from one little boy who would go straight to the toilets and therefore always end up last in the dinner queue. I asked him about this one day and said his dad is a GP and you must always wash your hands after the loo and before food.  Years later, when the little boy was a junior doctor himself and I was working in a nursing home, we had a chat  down the pub about why there aren't more handwashing facilities in places where you eat. I said I felt my residents were at a disadvantage to people at home who can wash their hand directly before they eat  and there should be more handwash places in places where people eat, not just in toilet sinks. For example, when I'm in London, it's quite hard to find somewhere to wash your hands before you eat except some germy and badly maintained public toilets where you come away dirtier than when you went in. Upshot is after this virus peaks and fall, I hope we become a nation that takes its everyday pre-eating handwashing more seriously - and not just after going to the loo - but facilities are required in a order to do that. Anyway, that's my handwashing rant!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

China have reported a slight increase in new cases.

The latest update shows 4 new cases to 143 whilst new deaths have fallen by 1 to 30

This is the 3rd day in a row numbers have increased in China since the most recent low of 119 new cases earlier in the week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.

Host, Virus interactions

VIRALZONE.EXPASY.ORG

A knowledge resource to understand virus diversity

• Like 1

Posted

One of government's medical officers was on GMB this morning.

No plans to cancel sporting events or play matches behind closed doors. Why not?

He doesnt believe it works, in direct contrast to France and Italy.

Why doesnt it work? Said that anyone affected by COVID-19 in a crowd out in the open would likely infect a few nearby, but that would be it. If events were played behind closed doors, everyone would flock to pubs, where rammed pubs would have a much higher risk of spreading infection, because of enclosed environ.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

No plans to cancel sporting events or play matches behind closed doors. Why not?

Why doesnt it work? Said that anyone affected by COVID-19 in a crowd out in the open would likely infect a few nearby, but that would be it. If events were played behind closed doors, everyone would flock to pubs, where rammed pubs would have a much higher risk of spreading infection, because of enclosed environ.

That could amount to quite a few 'fews', among an Old Trafford crowd of 75,000!:shok:

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Matches to be played in empty stadiums or in other words business as usual for Man City.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

It's lost on me why this is a big issue.

While people have died from COVID-19, it is the old and weak. If fit young people were dying, then yes, we have an issue.

TB kills 40,000 a day! and there is a cure

Edited by SteveB

Posted
3 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

I just don't get the logic of that.

What about the people travelling to and from these sporting events.... many will travel by coach and other public transport surely?  Some fans travel from half way across the country and back.

At least if people are gather in pubs they're keeping the transmission in their local area, whereas if you move 200 miles you've got the opportunity to move the infection to another area that was previously unaffected - doesn't that completely undermine the whole point of containment/delay???

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters
12 minutes ago, SteveB said:

No it doesnt kill anywhere near 40,000 people a day!

WWW.WHO.INT

WHO fact sheet on tuberculosis (TB): includes key facts, definition, global impact, treatment, HIV and TB, multidrug-resistant TB and WHO...

Edited by ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, fujita5 said:

I just don't get the logic of that.

What about the people travelling to and from these sporting events.... many will travel by coach and other public transport surely?  Some fans travel from half way across the country and back.

At least if people are gather in pubs they're keeping the transmission in their local area, whereas if you move 200 miles you've got the opportunity to move the infection to another area that was previously unaffected - doesn't that completely undermine the whole point of containment/delay???

If you had a large pub with 200 rammed into it, much more likely of onward transmission to all in the enclosed space.

Anyway, thought i'd post a summary from a medical expert, which is what my original post was for.

• Like 2

Posted
18 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

If you had a large pub with 200 rammed into it, much more likely of onward transmission to all in the enclosed space.

Anyway, thought i'd post a summary from a medical expert, which is what my original post was for.

Aye Bris, that does make sense...However, what about 75,000 people entering & leaving a football stadium: do they not touch umpteen seats/rails (let alone other people!) on their way in and out of the ground? And, how on Earth would all those people be expected to wash their hands (and sing Happy Birthday twice) while they're at it?

Good God; that'd make PL matches last nearly as long as the US Super Bowl!:oldlaugh:

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 3

Posted
35 minutes ago, SteveB said:

It's lost on me why this is a big issue.

While people have died from COVID-19, it is the old and weak. If fit young people were dying, then yes, we have an issue.

I am the opposite end of the spectrum - it's lost on me how some people are so blase' about the whole thing.

Maybe these people don't have elderly relatives or relatives and friends with underlying conditions. Maybe they simply don't care about them and only care about themselves? Maybe they're just naive or dumb or both? (I'm not having a pop at you by the way)

Its a brand new pathogen we know very little about. We don't know how it will behave as time moves on - will it mutate into a more aggressive/fatal strain? Will it leave lasting and residual effects on those it infects? Will the economy suffer long-term damage as a result?

I do understand there have been many "cried wolf" scenarios over the years which has likely made people complacent when it comes to things like this, but as you can see from the active number of cases spreading around the globe and the action of world governments to contain its spread (quarantining entire cities) - it's the real deal this time.

I get it, it's part of life, old people die etc etc, but I don't care. I love my parents and I don't want them to die just yet.

• Like 8

Posted

The situation in 4 regions of France is becoming much worse , severe restrictions are now in place in the Haut-Rhine.

The only reason France hasn’t moved to a stage 3 response is because so far 4 regions account for a large number of the cases and there are quite large differences between other areas .

So it’s not quite at epidemic levels.

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Aye Bris, that does make sense...However, what about 75,000 people entering & leaving a football stadium: do they not touch umpteen seats/rails (let alone other people!) on their way in and out of the ground? And, how on Earth would all those people be expected to wash their hands (and sing Happy Birthday twice) while they're at it?

Good God; that'd make PL matches last nearly as long as the US Super Bowl!:oldlaugh:

Maybe Pete. But i think the developing situ means a more 'local' response  by isolating households, where, say, one family member has been diagnosed, so self-isolating a household 'family' at a property. 'They' think this will more effectively contain. Prob worth watching the 5 minute piece from GMB on ITV hub, as i'd only just turned the tv on when the Prof was speaking (about 8.30 i think it was).

• Like 1