Novel Coronavirus – China

The trouble with a gap of a week as seen in other places is that you could go from tens of cases to thousands and when that bombshell hits then it is likely to already be too late.

The fact that the U.K. is doing the opposite of what other countries are doing is rather concerning.

• Like 1
  • Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can I just say huge credit to all those in here who have talked so openly and bravely  about issues that often don’t get discussed in these types of forums . And also to thank all the members who

Okay, there appears to be a couple of ideas circulating on the forum which people may be getting carried away with? I understand why people are running with them, because it creates the idea that

Can we drop the conspiracy and misinformation type stuff in here please - we all have a responsibility not to spread that kind of thing, as well as the virus. In the real world, wash your hands!

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Captain Shortwave said:

The trouble with a gap of a week as seen in other places is that you could go from tens of cases to thousands and when that bombshell hits then it is likely to already be too late.

The fact that the U.K. is doing the opposite of what other countries are doing is rather concerning.

The gap of a week is for the locations, not the numbers.

• Like 4

I respectfully say that these things certainly bring out the worst in humanity.

Goes to show how complacent and disrespectful we are as a species.  

Edited by Dami
  • Like 3
6 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

But going by your logic, wouldn't it cause complacency if low of panic if high?

On this point again though, its actually completely different. Case numbers and critical numbers is a good indicator. So if lots of people were critical, it would make people think strongly, and if the numbers were high, I think panic would be justified. Whereas low or no critical would mean people could relax a bit (in terms of their worries etc). Location data everyday is pointless, because people will, and are suggesting to avoid an entire town, which unless you've not left the house in the last 2 weeks, is silly.

1 minute ago, Captain Shortwave said:

"Doing the opposite"? Can you explain?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Thanks Dan    I expect the days of 1 or 2 cases  happening are finished 

I think so too at least for a good while, we are starting to see first clusters of cases in our urban towns/cities. If we leap forward a month where will we be, I wonder? Scottish highlands is the place to be to escape it in U.K., similarly Northern Europe with very low population densities there it will be much easier to control.

5FBE9AAA-D2A0-4608-8DE2-DC96E99D0450.thumb.png.9bb11c157f3e6c8d9ed101c0b25d6139.png

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, thundercrazy said:

If the government contingency plan is to contain this as much as possible then surely it would be prudent for people to avoid areas when they become problematic?

I think the issue on the forum is that most people are still thinking in terms of containment.

If you put yourself in to the head space that the governments contingency plan is control (i.e. they expect containment to fail) then it all makes much more sense.

Containment failure means it is everywhere, so what is the point of updating specific locations, especially specific schools or surgeries etc. They will be publishing info that is woefully out of date within 24hrs, so it is not helpful, or an efficient use of resources.  Measures going forward (school closures) will probably now be done on a less localised scale, i.e not a specific school, but all schools in a town or postcode.

• Like 2

Please do your best to calm folks fears about 'the numbers' as you find them released (I kinda think they'll be a 'piecemeal' approach with local media reporting local increases but one big 'roundup' by the govt. once a week?) as most folk will not have been as 'exposed' to the terms of reference we have here on this thread?

As I said dig out the 'R0' calculator and let them see how numbers increase under various 'R0's?

Do impress about hand washing/hand sanitizers as frequently as possible if out and about and,  at home, use dilute bleach solution on frequently touched areas? (belt & braces eh?)

I you feel the symptoms then wear a mask/scarf to intercept coughs/sneezes & put yer bog seat DOWN when you flush!!!

Help your kiddies in this new 'game' of hand washing and let them know about face touching (see who can last longest B4 'touching their face' just to help raise their own awareness of the issue?)

Gargle alcohol based mouth wash to 'disinfect' the back of the throat/nose

Most of all 'PMA'!!! (positive Mental Attitude)..... if there is a chance of you ending up like me you don't want to take it!

Do some gentle breathing exercises for a few minutes a day (evening?) to calm yourself and let your immune system restart if you've 'turned it off' via stress/anxiety!

Come on guys!

We'll be there on the other side of this!

EDIT: If you can't manage the 'frequent hand washing'  when out and about then consider disposable rubber gloves but be mindful when you remove them and then WASH YOUR HANDS!!!

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 5

This is ridiculous. And the guy works in a medical centre. Ineptitude of the highest order. We're at the mercy of dopes like them. Controversial but probably better to tag those under isolation at home. Only way to prevent idiots from leaving. I know only tiny % would but still. 

New Hampshire's 1st coronavirus patient broke self-isolation order, officials say

As the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services was investigating the state’s second presumed-positive case of coronavirus, they learned that the state’s first patient violated their self-isolation order, a statement from the agency said.

“DHHS has determined that the first patient, despite having been directed to self-isolate, attended an invitation-only private event on Friday, February 28,” the statement said.

The state’s second patient, an adult male from Grafton County, also had close contact with the first patient, the agency said in the statement.

New Hampshire's Department of Health and Human Services didn't provide additional details or say exactly where the second patient came into contact with the first patient.

Both individuals are now isolated at home and the state’s health department is contacting everyone “who had close contact with the person during the event and notifying them to follow the recommended 14-day self-isolation,” the statement adds.

The first patient is a person who had recently traveled to Italy and is an employee of Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center.

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I think so too at least for a good while, we are starting to see first clusters of cases in our urban towns/cities. If we leap forward a month where will we be, I wonder? Scottish highlands is the place to be to escape it in U.K., similarly Northern Europe with very low population densities there it will be much easier to control.

5FBE9AAA-D2A0-4608-8DE2-DC96E99D0450.thumb.png.9bb11c157f3e6c8d9ed101c0b25d6139.png

I do take your point but on the flip side there's a comfort being on the doorstep of world class medical facilities that you find in our major cities.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

What about if someone in that Tesco Express had been sick a week ago? Or how about someone suffered a heart attack? Alternatively, why not just lock yourself away?

Oh dear. Why on earth would you go to somewhere where the virus has been confirmed and risk spreading it to others if the place has not been deep cleaned? And heart attack? what has that got to do with it?

29 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

A 66% increase similarly this fast growth is what happened in Italy.

Growth might be similar but at the moment the cases are at least still being linked to arrivals from abroad.  Italy's problem was a sudden jump in cases with no obvious link to international travel, i.e widespread community transmission.

• Like 5

I think the UK government has done quite well so far but I’m not sure about this new policy of not disclosing locations .

Some might argue that by giving locations you can make people complacent in areas which haven’t had confirmed cases . 

On the other hand you need to keep the public onside and really need to be as transparent as possible .

Personally I like to know where cases are popping up , and especially if there are areas with a cluster of cases .

There are four regions of France at the moment which have the vast majority of cases and I won’t be going there anytime soon! 

• Like 7
Guest Delete Me

UK government are trying to manage the PR of the situation rather than let the media do it and create even more mass hysteria.

If they release case locations then the supermarkets will be hit in those towns and cities directly affected which then spirals into other problems.

Boris is doing a decent job of managing a tricky situation currently when he also has flooding, brexit and internal issues to also deal with. 

1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

I think the UK government has done quite well so far but I’m not sure about this new policy of not disclosing locations .

Some might argue that by giving locations you can make people complacent in areas which haven’t had confirmed cases . 

On the other hand you need to keep the public onside and really need to be as transparent as possible .

Personally I like to know where cases are popping up , and especially if there are areas with a cluster of cases .

There are four regions of France at the moment which have the vast majority of cases and I won’t be going there anytime soon! 

But they aren't hiding locations, they're just giving a roundup at the end of the week, rather than updating once or twice a day. If a town has a confirmed case, unless that person doesnt go out much, then you'll never trace every contact, its just not possible. As I say, people who are that concerned about going outside their house, shouldn't be going out whether theres confirmed cases or not, as at this stage, with cases jumping so quickly, it makes no difference whatsoever. Cases are 2 days old at least anyway, plus however long they where shedding it for, so waiting a couple more days makes no odds, if it means resources can be directed into something more useful.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I agree wholeheartedly.  For me it is nothing about being complacent, it is simply about having all the available information on locations from when you can make informed decisions about where you go.  Like a lot of people I have an elderly mum (88 this year).  She is very active wanting to do her own supermarket shopping and visit garden centres etc but if there are confirmed cases locally then I would be really looking at curtailing these type of excursions for both of us.   

• Like 3

There is a school in South Ockendon that has been closed because of the coronavirus:

https://www.yourthurrock.com/2020/03/03/south-ockendon-school-closed-family-member-shows-symptoms-coronavirus/

Edited by Katrine Basso
Duplicate web addresses
2 minutes ago, emax said:

But they aren't hiding locations, they're just giving a roundup at the end of the week, rather than updating once or twice a day. If a town has a confirmed case, unless that person doesnt go out much, then you'll never trace every contact, its just not possible. As I say, people who are that concerned about going outside their house, shouldn't be going out whether theres confirmed cases or not, as at this stage, with cases jumping so quickly, it makes no difference whatsoever. Cases are 2 days old at least anyway, plus however long they where shedding it for, so waiting a couple more days makes no odds, if it means resources can be directed into something more useful.

I do understand and accept your take on this but I think we should be informed more frequently of locations, just my own preference I guess.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Snowycat said:

I do understand and accept your take on this but I think we should be informed more frequently of locations, just my own preference I guess.  

Will you act differently when You know it's in your area may I ask?

Wouldn't that be a tad late if it could have been spreading up to two weeks beforehand?

Why not 'pretend' it's all around you now and get a jump on the little blighter?

• Like 2
Just now, emax said:

I still go out and don’t intend to barricade myself in however I like to feel I’ve done everything reasonably possible to avoid catching the virus .

That means making my own decisions as to where I might venture and that to a degree is effected by where cases appear .

I understand your points re the data often being a bit old. I understand some people who work in certain areas don’t have the luxury to pick and choose .

For example let’s say a large cluster suddenly appeared in a location and you didn’t know for a week how many people who then ventured into that area but could have avoided doing so will feel angry that they weren’t given that information .

Aswell as that it stands to reason that an area of high cases is likely to both had more community transmission.

So passing through you will have a higher chance of catching it and then taking it back to your home location.

If it’s about slowing the spread then that seems self defeating . 

• Like 3

Re face-touching, I saw something useful on Twitter. (I know, these really are the End Times!) It was from an immunosuppressed person who's always had to be careful about that, and she pointed out that putting a little moisturiser on straight after washing should cut down on the irritating little facial itches that prompt you to scratch your face. It works.

Though I will say I'm pretty concerned about when hay fever season starts later in the spring. Loads of people sneezing all over the place.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I still go out and don’t intend to barricade myself in however I like to feel I’ve done everything reasonably possible to avoid catching the virus .

That means making my own decisions as to where I might venture and that to a degree is effected by where cases appear .

I understand your points re the data often being a bit old. I understand some people who work in certain areas don’t have the luxury to pick and choose .

For example let’s say a large cluster suddenly appeared in a location and you didn’t know for a week how many people who then ventured into that area but could have avoided doing so will feel angry that they weren’t given that information .

Aswell as that it stands to reason that an area of high cases is likely to both had more community transmission.

So passing through you will have a higher chance of catching it and then taking it back to your home location.

If it’s about slowing the spread then that seems self defeating . 

This is the only point I agree that constant updates are necessary. I however would like to think (maybe I have too much faith) that if a large cluster broke out, then the government would say so, rather than wait a week to make it public. And to be honest, if a large cluster suddenly broke out, I doubt they'd be able to keep it quiet anyway, what with social media etc

• Like 1
Just now, emax said:

This is the only point I agree that constant updates are necessary. I however would like to think (maybe I have too much faith) that if a large cluster broke out, then the government would say so, rather than wait a week to make it public. And to be honest, if a large cluster suddenly broke out, I doubt they'd be able to keep it quiet anyway, what with social media etc

I think if they say that’s what they’re going to do then that would be a decent middle ground solution .

Weekly updates but earlier updates if there’s a sudden increase in one location.

• Like 1