Sign in to follow this  
Snipper

Novel Coronavirus – China

7 hours ago, Robbie Garrett said:

I found the following on Reddit; Researchers at the Imperial College London found that, in Wuhan alone, there were 18 undetected cases for every 1 confirmed COVID-19 infection. This gave them an estimation that as of mid-Feb there were 1.5 million people infected with COVID-19 in Wuhan.

This makes me think.  I am positive that this has already done the rounds in London. 

imageproxy.php?img=&key=8d7953939bb9d610
WWW.ARTS.AC.UK

Standard term dates for UAL. Specific dates may vary for some courses.

A lot of the students that live near me are from China.  A lot of them go to UAL and Monday 6 January 2020 onward a lot of them would have returned from China, right after the virus had started.

I and three of my other colleagues had symptoms of the flu/virus. I go to the GP (Two weeks after the above date) and told that I have a virus. Should clear up.  Took two weeks to clear up.   

Point being, this has done the rounds already. People in London and that travel to London are NOT clean.  

Anyway, the following.   Source: Click Here

• This virus is not SARS, it’s not MERS, and it’s not influenza. It is a unique virus with unique characteristics.
  • Both COVID-19 and influenza cause respiratory disease and spread the same way, via small droplets of fluid from the nose and mouth of someone who is sick.
  • However, there are some important differences between COVID-19 and influenza.
  • First, COVID-19 does not transmit as efficiently as influenza, from the data we have so far.
  • With influenza, people who are infected but not yet sick are major drivers of transmission, which does not appear to be the case for COVID-19.
  • Evidence from China is that only 1% of reported cases do not have symptoms, and most of those cases develop symptoms within 2 days.
  • Some countries are looking for cases of COVID-19 using surveillance systems for influenza and other respiratory diseases.
  • Countries such as China, Ghana, Singapore and elsewhere have found very few cases of COVID-19 among such samples – or no cases at all.

Which begs the question?  How do we know it already hasn't?  Considering the above.

It is interesting.

I went to London on December 21st (Winter Wonderland - Hyde Park) and mingled with tourists from all over the world.

On December 23rd, i developed pain in my ribs on one side which kind of felt like I had been punched there or bruised. I thought it was very strange. 

Within 3-4 hours, my whole body felt like that. My bones hurt. My headache was absolutely crushing and I quickly developed the most nasty dry racking cough I've ever had. Nose was fine, throat was fine, just the cough.

Christmas eve I woke up absolutely soaked to the bone with sweat after a fitful night of fever dreams. I, a grown man, was lifelessly slumped on the couch nearly in tears and unable to move because of the pain. It was 6am - my partner told me she would pick up some paracetamol and ibuprofen on her way home from her night shift at 8am. Those 2 hours felt like an absolute lifetime. Every time I coughed I would double over in an uncontrollable racking fit which sounded awful - so much so, my partner who is a nurse began to genuinely be concerned.

Christmas day I struggled to catch my breath all day and this is when I debated with myself about going to hospital as I started to get a little bit anxious. My breathing was very shallow and I felt light-headed and just all round terrible - cough was completely unproductive and just so dry. My eyes hurt every time I moved them. I had no appetite whatsoever which for me is very unusual - even during the worst head colds I can smash down a curry.

Boxing Day I woke up and could breathe properly again which was a massive relief and I was able to go to the shop and leave the house. Body aches had subsided a bit and I felt a little steadier on my feet.

I started to feel better and actually recovered fairly quickly - quicker than most head colds I get anyway - the painful eyes being the last thing to go.

I haven't dramatised any of that account - it genuinely was horrible and the speed with which it struck me down was frightening.

Now, I'm pretty sure it was the genuine flu and not coronavirus, but who knows how long this thing has actually been silently circulating in our cities? The news of the virus broke not long after and we joked about what I had being coronavirus.

I would love to get tested out of curiosity to see if I had it or not via the presence of antibodies.

• Like 1

Guest Delete Me

New York is going to see more cases, there are a few videos showing people collapsed in the street ala Wuhan, Iran.

With such a populous city like New York there's only one way this can go unfortunately.

Just breaking that 2 more cases confirmed in bonny Scotland

8 minutes ago, Paul Faulkner said:

New York is going to see more cases, there are a few videos showing people collapsed in the street ala Wuhan, Iran.

With such a populous city like New York there's only one way this can go unfortunately.

Just breaking that 2 more cases confirmed in bonny Scotland

People don’t collapse in the streets because of Coronavirus ?

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I haven't dramatised any of that account - it genuinely was horrible and the speed with which it struck me down was frightening.

Now, I'm pretty sure it was the genuine flu and not coronavirus, but who knows how long this thing has actually been silently circulating in our cities? The news of the virus broke not long after and we joked about what I had being coronavirus.

I would love to get tested out of curiosity to see if I had it or not via the presence of antibodies.

Doesn't sound like flu to me, i have had the flu a lot of times and never had that rib pain, the pain from the fever with flu is all over not that specific to one area but if there is any weak spot where it is worse it is on your back near your kidney's on left and right side. 

The breathing part does sound like coronavirus.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Doesn't sound like flu to me, i have had the flu a lot of times and never had that rib pain, the pain from the fever with flu is all over not that specific to one area but if there is any weak spot where it is worse it is on your back near your kidney's on left and right side. 

The breathing part does sound like coronavirus.

Theres that niggling 5 percent of me that thinks it could have been - the symptoms match up so well. Like you say, the breathing part isn't a common flu symptom - it's usually a complication (developing pneumonia for example) and thankfully that didn't happen. 

Honestly, it was so so quick. Painful ribs to full blown bedridden racking cough within hours.

• Like 1

Guest Delete Me
2 minutes ago, Beanz said:

Collapsing because of the effects of the virus is medically atypical but not ruled out. Severe respiratory illness caused by the virus has been shown in China and now Iran to make in some cases, people collapse and whilst not unconscious or dead their lungs are in quite a bad way.

I completely understand your point though Beanz, not all cases of people collapsing are to do with the virus but it is happening.

Posted (edited)

Someone in hubs company in London, has been tested positive. They had just come back from Japan. Hubs has a training meeting in a couple of weeks and suffers from breathing issues at times. 

People will do what they want. I say it was stupidity to travel, others will say it is freedom of choice. Probably even went into work thinking it was a heavy cold.

You can have films telling people to wash their hands, how to put a tissue in a bin, - but just like the people here who wear flipflops driving and will think they will never be to blame for an accident, how many will go on their merry little way thinking 'on it won't happen to me' or 'it's just a cold' 

According to the symptoms, you can be infected but mildly.  I carried swine flu to hubs we think when I was pregnant, how many could just be carriers? 

How I see it, all this 'worry' about climate change and the death of humanity, when it could be just a virus that could wipe us out far quicker. 

Edited by Dami
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Have you tried to be tested?  Difficult for medical profession to decide whether cases such are yours are actually worth investigating as so many claim to have flu when all they have is a heavy cold. I emphasise I am not suggesting you are saying anything other than the truth.

4 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Have you tried to be tested?  Difficult for medical profession to decide whether cases such are yours are actually worth investigating as so many claim to have flu when all they have is a heavy cold. I emphasise I am not suggesting you are saying anything other than the truth.

No I haven't - it's more curiosity than anything. I don't want to take away medical resources from those in need. Definitely wasn't a cold though, I would put my mortgage on it - it was nothing like a cold in-fact.

If they do want people to test though I would be more than happy.  

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Beanz said:

Completely wrong.

Coronavirus can cause a Cytokine Storm within the body. You're not doing star jumps after that. 

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30305-6/fulltext

In most moribund patients, 2019-nCoV infection is also associated with a cytokine storm

Coronavirus also crosses the blood/brain barrier preventing you from breathing.

ONLINELIBRARY.WILEY.COM

Increasing evidence shows that coronavriruses are not always confined to the respiratory tract and that they may also invade the central nervous system inducing neurological diseases.

In light of the high similarity between SARS‐CoV and SARS‐CoV2, it is quite likely that the potential invasion of SARS‐CoV2 is partially responsible for the acute respiratory failure of COVID‐19 patients.

• Like 4

38 new cases reported in German bringing the total to 240

• Like 1

WHO Situation report issued yesterday 20200303-sitrep-43-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=2

• Like 1

Folk have clearly got the message now and are not going to the hotspots

• Like 5

We keep seeing video of fully protected people wandering about spraying aimlessly roads and other places.  Strikes me as a complete waste of time and sanitiser if that is what is being used. Ponder if it just a PR exercise.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Astral Goat Juice said:

Completely wrong.

Coronavirus can cause a Cytokine Storm within the body. You're not doing star jumps after that. 

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30305-6/fulltext

No, I’m not and the myth has been de-bunked a number of times.  Its sensationalist reporting and quite frankly shameful.  

I’m aware of the Cytokine effects, but only applicable if you’re already dying.  You certainly weren’t doing star jumps before that or walking about the streets either! 

Lets try and keep to the facts in this thread please.  

Edited by Beanz

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Beanz said:

No, I’m not and the myth has been de-bunked a number of times.  It sensationalist reporting and quite frankly shameful.  

I’m aware 

Not being funny, but my quotes are peer reviewed from virologists, they are not sensationalist or have been debunked and are certainly not shameful. 

If I'd have quoted the Sun or the Express, you'd have a point, but you don't. 

Lets try and keep to the facts in this thread please.  

You start.

Edited by Astral Goat Juice
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Folk have clearly got the message now and are not going to the hotspots

We don't want people coming here or back here though either but its too late, there are 15000 potential cases milling around London spreading it now.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Astral Goat Juice said:

Not being funny, but my quotes are peer reviewed from virologists, they are not sensationalist or have been debunked and are certainly not shameful. 

If I'd have quoted the Sun or the Express, you'd have a point, but you don't. 

You start.

The quotes you’ve posted may well have been peer reviewed, but you’re using them to support arguments they were not intended to support. 

Edited by Beanz

43 minutes ago, Dami said:

Someone in hubs company in London, has been tested positive. They had just come back from Japan. Hubs has a training meeting in a couple of weeks and suffers from breathing issues at times. 

People will do what they want. I say it was stupidity to travel, others will say it is freedom of choice. Probably even went into work thinking it was a heavy cold.

You can have films telling people to wash their hands, how to put a tissue in a bin, - but just like the people here who wear flipflops driving and will think they will never be to blame for an accident, how many will go on their merry little way thinking 'on it won't happen to me' or 'it's just a cold' 

According to the symptoms, you can be infected but mildly.  I carried swine flu to hubs we think when I was pregnant, how many could just be carriers? 

How I see it, all this 'worry' about climate change and the death of humanity, when it could be just a virus that could wipe us out far quicker. 

Exactly the point i have always made, plus as well there are people in the world who have the will to design one as well, they only have to get lucky once.

1 minute ago, Beanz said:

The quotes you’ve posted may well have been peer reviewed, but you’re using them to support arguments they were not intended to support. 

Eh? 

Statement: 

People don’t collapse in the streets because of Coronavirus

Argument: 

In most moribund patients, 2019-nCoV infection is also associated with a cytokine storm. (Can make you collapse)

Coronavirus also crosses the blood/brain barrier preventing you from breathing. (Can make you collapse)

Conclusion:

You can collapse in the street from the Coronavirus. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Azazel said:

No I haven't - it's more curiosity than anything. I don't want to take away medical resources from those in need. Definitely wasn't a cold though, I would put my mortgage on it - it was nothing like a cold in-fact.

If they do want people to test though I would be more than happy.  

Same here although mine was ages ago and unlikely to be the virus, unless it's been about since late September. Sore throat, no runny nose what so ever, dry cough, weakness, fast breathing rapid heart rate, doctor thought before the ecg which was normal but fast, that my heart was causing the cough. It wasn't thank goodness. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thankfully the real medical experts are saying sensible stuff. Dr Hilary on Lorraine said current medical and government guidelines are absolutely right at this time. You can never say you wont contract it, but lessen the risk to exposure by being sensible and hygienic. I'm sure we've all digested yesterday's official advice.

As for stopping people come in and out of the UK? I think you need to get out of your bubble(s).

Edited by Bristle boy
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Astral Goat Juice said:

Eh? 

Statement: 

Argument: 

Conclusion:

You can collapse in the street from the Coronavirus. 

I think you’re either trying to get yourself out of a hole or you’re not understanding come of the technical aspects of this.  

A ‘cytokine storm’ could happen in moribund cases - that is people that are critically ill and dying.  

I don’t think it’s sensible to suggest that critically ill, or dying persons are likely to be walking the streets.  Certainly not in any great numbers.  

Therefore to suggest that people will be collapsing in the streets due to Coronavirus is not correct.  

36 minutes ago, Beanz said:

I think you’re either trying to get yourself out of a hole or you’re not understanding come of the technical aspects of this.  

A ‘cytokine storm’ could happen in moribund cases - that is people that are critically ill and dying.  

I don’t think it’s sensible to suggest that critically ill, or dying persons are likely to be walking the streets.  Certainly not in any great numbers.  

Therefore to suggest that people will be collapsing in the streets due to Coronavirus is not correct.  

I collapsed in the street because of flu, somewhere around 2014or2015 can't remember when, that's how I ended up in hospital with it. 

• Like 2