Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
6 hours ago, CreweCold said:

'It's just the flu'

Anyone who has actually had the flu would not be saying those words.

100%. Another one is 'it's only 40 cases', demonstrating that many simply don't understand the concept of exponential growth. 

Containment is key. If we can at least slow the spread we can mitigate the impact on the health services. Matt Hancock is saying the right things and I have confidence in the Department of Health. I think we are in a better position than, say, the United States.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

It's pretty common to see estimates of the death rate (or CFR) at around 1 to 3%. Going purely by the number of cases (~90,000) and number of deaths (~3,000) that would suggest a 3.3% rate. But it appears highly variable due to differences in age, underlying health factors, sex, location, etc.
Here's a study that estimates a 2.3% rate, but there are others out there: 

critically_ill_patient_0.jpg?itok=L742wi
WWW.CIDRAP.UMN.EDU

The JAMA study reveals a 49% death rate in critically ill patients; for a much smaller study it was 62%.

Many thanks for the link BftV, the bottom of it mentions potential vaccines.

Some more details on those can be found here.

shutterstock_1623123544.jpg
WWW.EUROPEANPHARMACEUTICALREVIEW.COM

EPR rounds up the latest news surrounding COVID-19, including a vaccine moving to clinical trials and the FDA's update on Chinese import inspections.

Posted

Can we leave the political bickering out of this thread please. I think the vast majority of people have had well enough of it. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Boris said in his presser he shook hands with patients who had coronavirus during a hospital visit

Maybe not the most sensible thing to do...

• Like 2

Posted

Apparently in the USA some people are being charged to take the test for the virus and you can be landed with a huge bill .

One man ended up being negative but was asked to pay over 3000 dollars !

Unless you’re offered the test by the CDC then many will now not bother given the possible financial penalty .

The NHS has a system whereby regardless of where you’re from in these situations with a virus spreading charges are waved.

Which seems both sensible and logical . In the USA the virus is more likely to get out of control because of the healthcare system or lack of , no legal right to statutory sick pay . At the same time over 700,000 low paid workers have just lost their eligibility for food stamps due to changes enacted by the WH .

This means they’ll be even less likely to stay home with even that safety net gone .

The UK is in a much better position to combat this virus . For the USA things look bleak .

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 4

Posted
9 minutes ago, Donegal said:

USA will be Iran on steroids. South Korea has been very impressive. The drive through test is a brilliant idea. Less chance of infection. Free to all whether you be a citizen or visitor. The Nurses/Doctors work a 5 hour shift at it, can't go to the toilet during that time. Other countries should adopt that. 

There are some drive thru testing places in Uk

• Like 3

Posted
48 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Boris said in his presser he shook hands with patients who had coronavirus during a hospital visit

No he didn't.  He said he'd visited a hospital that was treating patients with CV and had been shaking hands.  At no stage did he say he'd shaken hands with those who were ill.

I thought the press conference, and in particular the 2 experts, was impressive and I'm not predisposed to this government.  Calm and considered with facts and perspective, and opinions when they were given were led by the science.  

Rather unlike quite a lot of this thread.....

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, abruzzi spur said:

No he didn't.  He said he'd visited a hospital that was treating patients with CV and had been shaking hands.  At no stage did he say he'd shaken hands with those who were ill.

I thought the press conference, and in particular the 2 experts, was impressive and I'm not predisposed to this government.  Calm and considered with facts and perspective, and opinions when they were given were led by the science.  

Agreed. Let’s keep amateur dramatics out of it. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, abruzzi spur said:

Vicki Young from the BBC was obviously giving false info then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy
3 hours ago, swebby said:

NB - a CFR of 2% (upper estimate for Covid-19) is not a 1 in 500 chance, it is a 1 in 50 chance.  So only a tenth as dangerous as playing Russian roulette...........

Under 29s is 0.2%...

• Like 1

Posted

Sky News maybe need to reword this as well

Mr Johnson also told reporters he continued to shake hands with people, adding: "I was at a hospital the other night where I think there were coronavirus patients, and I was shaking hands with everybody, you will be pleased to know, and I continue to shake hands.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-police-may-only-deal-with-serious-crime-in-case-of-mass-covid-19-outbreak-11948456

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

Yeah I think it is just a wording issue. 

Posted
21 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Apparently in the USA some people are being charged to take the test for the virus and you can be landed with a huge bill .

One man ended up being negative but was asked to pay over 3000 dollars !

Unless you’re offered the test by the CDC then many will now not bother given the possible financial penalty .

The NHS has a system whereby regardless of where you’re from in these situations with a virus spreading charges are waved.

Which seems both sensible and logical . In the USA the virus is more likely to get out of control because of the healthcare system or lack of , no legal right to statutory sick pay . At the same time over 700,000 low paid workers have just lost their eligibility for food stamps due to changes enacted by the WH .

This means they’ll be even less likely to stay home with even that safety net gone .

The UK is in a much better position to combat this virus . For the USA things look bleak .

Extrapolate that to the cost of occupying an ICU bed with assisted breathing...... 

The US system of health care provision is truly bonkers, and if they have an unconstrained epidemic, it may convince the US that centrally funded healthcare works better.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Some common sense advice and tips from over the pond (though I guess they're gonna need them more than us?)

• Like 1

Posted

As far as 'spread' is concerned? Remember this is not just via oral emmisions but also anal?

Anyone who has seen Norovirus rip through a ward will know the extra mile you need to go with your 'barrier medicine' to keep clear of that one!!!

I would also advise folk be 'canny' as we wait to see just how far it has begun to circulate among us?

If not for yourself then for those of importance around you?

A human being will touch their face in excess of 90 time a day on average, don't believe me? put some glitter paste on the hand you favour and see how you look by days end!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Vicki Young from the BBC was obviously giving false info then.

Can you imagine that eh? HAHAHAHA

This is exactly what I was saying yesterday. The media love to word statements like this, in a way that isnt false, but gives a different impression of what the true meaning was.

I bet you there isnt a single media report saying how professional and concise this press conference was? The two experts (as has been said already) gave genuine and straight to the point answers based on data they have. It was made clear what the worst case plans are, and personally I think it was the perfect balance between giving as much info as possible, but without causing mass panic to all those hypochondriacs out there!

Obviously, nearly all press conferences from any nation smooth over things, and dont tell you the full nitty gritty truth etc, but I thought this one was certainly up there with the best of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

Also on this point, as I think this is an example of how people get carried away, but if a hospital had COVID patients in it, do you really think they would be allowing anyone to shake hands with them?

Whatever anyone thinks of the NHS, they arent that stupid lol

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, emax said:

Also on this point, as I think this is an example of how people get carried away, but if a hospital had COVID patients in it, do you really think they would be allowing anyone to shake hands with them?

Whatever anyone thinks of the NHS, they arent that stupid lol

They might make an exception for him though?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

No hand sanitisers left in any shop in Belfast city centre. Crowds of people trying to hunt some down.

Seeing as alcohol gel is probably going to be non existent to buy anywhere soon lol, there's always Hibiscrub (which will run out soon no doubt). As far as I know, it isnt quite as effective as alcohol etc, but better than normal hand wash.

• Like 2