Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes, because although the mortality rate is still low amongst young people, it looks to me to be higher than flu, the usual winter flu's do not generally  kill fully healthy 29 year olds, coronavirus is doing just that, why? is it something specific in their genetic make up, if you don't care and don't take precautions about being infected and you are healthy and young in a normal UK winter, then you are not in my opinion playing Russian roulette, now with coronavirus, you are playing Russian roulette, the goalposts have moved.

I would put why but I don't want to be accused of scaremongering, so will just say sometimes the immune system over reacts. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Watching the panic buying start in Plymouth today..... milk hard to come by, anything anti bacterial forget it.

I'm not so concerned, but my Mum has a respiratory condition, so over dinner yesterday we did some sensible talking about not going out, and if that means I have to go shopping for my parents and wave through a window for a few weeks, then so be it.

I did manage to get them some powdered milk (and boy that was hard to find!) and some bread mixes, but they do have a lot of food in, (my Nan was a farmers daughter and taught my Mum and myself well about having a good stock in the larder).  

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Russian roulette except instead of a 1 in 5-7 chance you have about a 1 in 500 chance of dying...

I'm not saying it shouldn't be taken seriously but in my opinion some Governments are in danger of doing more damage than the virus itself.

Posted
2 minutes ago, philglossop said:

Watching the panic buying start in Plymouth today..... milk hard to come by, anything anti bacterial forget it.

I'm not so concerned, but my Mum has a respiratory condition, so over dinner yesterday we did some sensible talking about not going out, and if that means I have to go shopping for my parents and wave through a window for a few weeks, then so be it.

I did manage to get them some powdered milk (and boy that was hard to find!) and some bread mixes, but they do have a lot of food in, (my Nan was a farmers daughter and taught my Mum and myself well about having a good stock in the larder).  

It’s great you’re on hand to help your parents out . Must be a huge relief for them especially with your mums condition .

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
17 minutes ago, Donegal said:

I wonder what % of them think you're a snowflake if you wash your hands. 

The same trampy % that don't wash their hands after having a s*** or Tut and thus spread the winter vomiting bug, probably the same % that you can smell on public transport from right down the other end of a bus or carriage that haven't had a shower for weeks.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

It’s great you’re on hand to help your parents out . Must be a huge relief for them especially with your mums condition .

We're lucky to be a close family, plus I have a job which means I can almost drop and run in crisis.

• Like 2

Posted

I havent got any food at all - i don't get paid for another 2 weeks - if there is nothing left by then i am a gonner, i could last no more than 2 days if the iron curtain came down now.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I havent got any food at all - i don't get paid for another 2 weeks - if there is nothing left by then i am a gonner, i could last no more than 2 days if the iron curtain came down now.

Same. 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Same. 

I can never find anything i like to stock loads on the rare occasions i have a surfeit of disposable income, i want stuff that you can have in a power cut, so my only options are 1) Crisps - but when i by 100 packs of them i tend to just binge on them and they are still gone within a few weeks, 2) digestive biscuits - some very decent ones available at 31p per pack in tescos - 20 quids worth of them stocked up would last a fair while if you were on lockdown - everything else either needs a cooker of a fridge.

EDIT : but i have loads of dental problems which i cant afford to solve so don't like stuff with loads of sugar in.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1

Guest Delete Me

Things are 'getting better' in China, one of the field hospitals in Hubei closed a few days ago as they are seeing a reduction in cases.

?m=02&d=20200302&t=2&i=1497695650&w=1200
WWW.REUTERS.COM

The Chinese city at the center of the coronavirus epidemic has closed the first of 16 specially built hospitals, hurriedly put up to treat people with the virus, after it discharged its last recovered...

Just watching POTUS press conference now, Trump confident of averting a public emergency and thinks they will beat the virus. Actually he is talking sense for once and is asking advice of the experts and taking their comments on board. You can tells there is a shift in his thinking and attitude since last week, he's now taking this very seriously...and  he should considering the US is a few days away from an explosion of cases.

Edited by Delete Me

Guest Delete Me

The genetic code of the virus detected in the first patient with Sars-Cov-2 in Brazil is different from that found in the second Brazilian with confirmed disease. 

The work has been conducted by the Joint Brazil-United Kingdom Center for Arbovirus Discovery, Diagnosis, Genomics and Epidemiology (CADDE), coordinated by the director of the Institute of Tropical Medicine at the University of São Paulo, Ester Sabino.

Sabino explains that the first isolated virus is more like the one that was sequenced in Germany, with two similar mutations. The second infected Brazilian has the coronavirus most similar to that detected in England. If all the patients in Europe had come from China directly, the genetic sequence of the virus would be more similar to that found in Wuhan and Hubei province, according to the researchers. The Brazilian scientist recalls, however, that mutating a virus is a natural thing. Sequencing and comparison serve to provide an overview and a possible pathway for infections.

Edited by Delete Me

24 minutes ago, Snow Queen one said:

I contracted swine flu.  I had Tamiflu delivered to my house and it was a very bad illness which left me with a cough that lasted more than a month

Yeah Swine Flu was horrible, my friend got that and was bad for a while. I've bee coughing up sputum every morning for 6 months, I'm pretty sure it's about time I go to the docs. 

• Like 2

Posted

If Nick Watt from the BBCs info is correct then tomorrow’s action plan from the government is going to be grim in parts .

Perhaps it might wake up some of the public who seem to think it’s just flu !

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.

Health, nursing and testing faq

https://www.elsevier.com/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/979544/2019-nCoV-NAHPPE-FAQV3.pdf

coronavirus-image-iStock-628925532-1200p
WWW.ELSEVIER.COM

Elsevier’s free health and medical research on novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

Edited by Dreckly
added link
  • Like 1

Posted

The situation in the USA continues to look like a shambles .

The CDC released a woman from quarantine who had tested positive for the virus in San Antonio Texas who then went to a shopping mall .

And apparently they’ve only tested 500 people in the whole country .

They were supposed to not release her until her third test result came back negative but let her out and then the result was positive .

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

If Nick Watt from the BBCs info is correct then tomorrow’s action plan from the government is going to be grim in parts .

Perhaps it might wake up some of the public who seem to think it’s just flu !

Got a link?

Posted
2 minutes ago, emax said:

Got a link?

It was on Newsnight . Apparently the government is going to be steering a delicate balance and try not to alarm people but he said there are parts which might make people a bit shocked and made for grim reading .

3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

It was on Newsnight . Apparently the government is going to be steering a delicate balance and try not to alarm people but he said there are parts which might make people a bit shocked and made for grim reading .

I'm all for it to contain this outbreak. Far too many people are walking around saying, "it's just the flu"... it really isnt. Serious and strong measures are needed to bring it under control. 

Its apparent that Cov is or has been spreading for weeks before you even hear about it. Its damn scary when you have elderly people and children in your family. 

• Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, Astral Goat Juice said:

I'm all for it to contain this outbreak. Far too many people are walking around saying, "it's just the flu"... it really isnt. Serious and strong measures are needed to bring it under control. 

Its apparent that Cov is or has been spreading for weeks before you even hear about it. Its damn scary when you have elderly people and children in your family. 

It’s always difficult for governments to get the right balance between getting the message through and not alarming people .

They clearly though need to try and slow the spread . I think the disaster in northern Italy has been the game changer for Europe .

Because it happened so quickly and without warning and coming during the holidays.

Most of the new cases in Europe are linked to northern Italy and that has developed several other clusters here in France and parts of Germany .

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Probably just normal affair, most people are shocked at the slightest of things these days Im afraid

Posted
48 minutes ago, emax said:

Got a link?

43 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

He was probably referring to this statement that came out a few hours ago.

opengraph-image-a1f7d89ffd0782738b1aeb0d
WWW.GOV.UK

Prime Minister Boris Johnson will set out the Government’s action plan to tackle the spread of coronavirus.

25 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

It’s always difficult for governments to get the right balance between getting the message through and not alarming people .

They clearly though need to try and slow the spread . I think the disaster in northern Italy has been the game changer for Europe .

Because it happened so quickly and without warning and coming during the holidays.

Most of the new cases in Europe are linked to northern Italy and that has developed several other clusters here in France and parts of Germany .

Agree with you. The Government cant come out and say it's so bad etc as people will panic and that can crash the economy, the usual scum will start riots, it would be utter chaos, but I'm pretty sure this is as bad as it gets in terms of this virus. 

The CDC have even stopped publishing infection confirmations and testing confirmations, I'm pretty sure the reason is to prevent panic.

Lots of videos on twitter from inside Iran, its just awful, bodies everywhere. Its grim. Very grim.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

He was probably referring to this statement that came out a few hours ago.

opengraph-image-a1f7d89ffd0782738b1aeb0d
WWW.GOV.UK

Prime Minister Boris Johnson will set out the Government’s action plan to tackle the spread of coronavirus.

They've been common knowledge for a few days at least now. So either the reporter was getting over excited, or theres a lot more to be said tomorrow.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Astral Goat Juice said:

The CDC have even stopped publishing infection confirmations and testing confirmations, I'm pretty sure the reason is to prevent panic.

Have you got a link for this? Interesting if true