Novel Coronavirus – China

2 minutes ago, emax said:

Personally, I think these comments from WHO people are picking up on, are blown way out of proportion.

I listened to the live press conference, and he said those comments calmly, and almost off the cuff sorta thing. It looks and sounds so much worse when a news outlet or twitter post or something paraphrases comments like that.

Yes.  I wonder how many watched it all.  At least we know where Chinese whispers come from. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can I just say huge credit to all those in here who have talked so openly and bravely  about issues that often don’t get discussed in these types of forums . And also to thank all the members who

Okay, there appears to be a couple of ideas circulating on the forum which people may be getting carried away with? I understand why people are running with them, because it creates the idea that

Can we drop the conspiracy and misinformation type stuff in here please - we all have a responsibility not to spread that kind of thing, as well as the virus. In the real world, wash your hands!

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, thundercrazy said:

just seen this:

The public is being urged to clean their smartphone screens with alcohol wipes twice a day to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus. 

Covid-19, which has infected almost 80,000 people globally, has the ability to lurk on the flat surface for almost a week unless its disinfected, researchers have claimed. 

Oh lord!

Thats obvious surely? Touchscreens of any kind are rife for virus and illnesses etc etc. I've always thought touchscreens in food outlets are a completely bonkers idea. You may as well order your food and eat it in the public toilet!!

Edited by emax
  • Like 2
Just now, Snipper said:

Yes.  I wonder how many watched it all.  At least we know where Chinese whispers come from. 

As well all know (well not all, must most thankfully), news and media outlets love paraphrasing headlines and comments, and although the comments are true, it dun arf make a difference to the meaning of them depending on how they're written!

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

That sounds rather ominous . If it’s not passed in the normal way with most transmission by either larger droplets from coughs or sneezes or alternatively surface transmission then that’s a major escalation. If the implication is people can transmit it by simple breathing next to someone then that’s awful .

I think it was telling when they discovered the community infection in California. Patient transferred from hospital with droplet protection in place but immediately transferred to negative pressure facility on diagnosis. 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, emax said:

Thats obvious surely? Touchscreens of any kind are riff for virus and illnesses etc etc. I've always thought touchscreens in food outlets are a completely bonkers idea. You may as well order your food and eat it in the public toilet!!

I was more refering to the length of time the virus can survive on the surface, nearly a week.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, emax said:

Thats obvious surely? Touchscreens of any kind are rife for virus and illnesses etc etc. I've always thought touchscreens in food outlets are a completely bonkers idea. You may as well order your food and eat it in the public toilet!!

Same in supermarkets with trolleys and baskets they're a haven for germs.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, emax said:

As well all know (well not all, must most thankfully), news and media outlets love paraphrasing headlines and comments, and although the comments are true, it dun arf make a difference to the meaning of them depending on how they're written!

How about this for misinformation.  Mail with a graph headed Corona Virus cases. 

F4CC9D50-1AFB-4EB1-B789-698C42B5CF9A.png

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, thundercrazy said:

I was more refering to the length of time the virus can survive on the surface, nearly a week.

Oh right, that was talked about weeks ago I think. I got the impression 3 to 5 days was fairly standard for this sort of virus, so up to a week at worst case isnt surprising. It does all depend on conditions though. As I understand it, I think UV light is the biggest killer of the virus, so cold and dark it can live for a while

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, emax said:

Oh right, that was talked about weeks ago I think. I got the impression 3 to 5 days was fairly standard for this sort of virus, so up to a week at worst case isnt surprising. It does all depend on conditions though. As I understand it, I think UV light is the biggest killer of the virus, so cold and dark it can live for a while

Yes I read that aswell . Summer can’t come soon enough !

19 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Same in supermarkets with trolleys and baskets they're a haven for germs.

Yep. I said this the other week in this thread. Over last year or so i always wash hands as soon as i get home from shopping. The other one is the trays at security in airports; forget the duty free browse, straight to the restroom to wash hands.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Maybe, but then again reports and pictures last week from the hotel, indicated it wasnt exactly controlled quarantine.

The warm weather 'theory' may be true; a professor on itv this morning said he thought it will die down during late Spring and Summer, but he is increasingly of the opinion that it will re-appear next late Autumn/Winter, just like seasonal flu. Oh joy!

What worries me about that is that, like seasonal flu, it might mutate whilst lying dormant?

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Snow Queen one said:

First case of Covid-19 reported in Maidstone.  Near me.

It's actually a member of our staff, but thankfully no one in my team. All seems to be under control though.

• Like 7

The amount of people who touch their phones before they wash their hands, then touch their phones directly after washing hands and don't realise its like they never washed them at all. I would guess rates of normal colds/flu have gone up since the smartphone age for this very reason. 

32 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

I think I may have possibly been asymptomatic with the flu that was going around at Christmas, my niece and nephew both came down with it from their school, my sister and her fiancé then came down with it, my mother (who had had the jab) then was helping out looking after the kids and she came down with it (ended up with pneumonia and is still having problems with a persistent cough even now), she passed it onto her friends and boyfriend, and then there was me, not even a sniffle.  I was on a training course at the time and all the people on the course started to come down with it, but again I was perfectly fine.

Strangely enough though I haven't had flu for about 4/5 years now (figured I was due to get it this year at least) but the last one I did have was a right doozy, mother had to help me out of bed (and to stand and walk straight) just to go to the loo.  Hope I never get one like that again

Contracted flu 20 years ago at Christmas. Went out from work at 3 on afternoon on day before Xmas eve. Felt perfectly normal and well. 2 hours later - bang! Achy, sweating, high temperature, feeling sick (not the beer). Went straight home to bed. Next day i couldnt believe how ill i felt. High temp, chest infection, lower backache, no appetite at all. Like this for nearly a week. Totally different from a heavy cold; never lose my appetite with a cold. 2 months later still had a cough.

From then on always had free flu jab at work; last few years paid for one at Superdrug.

• Like 6

Doctor once told me the way to tell the difference between a cold and flu is. If she put 50 pound at the bottom of my bed, if I had a cold I'd reach for it. If I had the flu I wouldn't care/move. 

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Yep. I said this the other week in this thread. Over last year or so i always wash hands as soon as i get home from shopping. The other one is the trays at security in airports; forget the duty free browse, straight to the restroom to wash hands.

Have hand sanitiser in your car so as soon as you get back in from a trip out you can do your hands before touching the steering wheel, switches etc.

Feeling smug as I bought about a gallon of hand sanitiser ages ago. 

As my doctor said, when we were chatting about the outbreak, do your best to protect yourself but if your God wants you there is not a lot you can do about it. 

• Like 1

You get your shopping put it on the conveyor belt at the cash desk ,  so that’s now come into contact with a surface that’s likely had hundreds of people touch it .

You go home wash your hands , put your shopping away , you’ve now possibly touched the virus , then you wash your hands again . Then you pop along grab a packets of crisps which were on the conveyor belt , could have touched the virus . You start munching cross contaminating your hands at the same time you’ve contaminated the crisps which you’ve just eaten .

And on it goes ! 

• Like 4

A New York doctor has warned coronavirus cases in the United States will surge into the thousands by next week as the former head of the FDA claimed three critical weeks were lost in containing the spread of the virus due to faulty test kits given out by the government. 

Dr Matt McCarthy, who is a staff physician at the busy New York-Presbyterian Hospital in Manhattan, claimed he doesn't have the tools to properly care for patients because of the lack of coronavirus tests being made available to hospitals.

Health officials in New York have been scrambling to get their own coronavirus testing kits up and running after getting stuck with faulty tests from the federal government that they said left them unable to diagnose people quickly. 

It comes as New York confirmed its first coronavirus case on Sunday as a female healthcare worker in her 30s who returned from Iran last week and is now being quarantined in her Manhattan home. 

Dr McCarthy told CNBC's Squawk Box on Monday that the bungled test distribution was a 'national scandal' and claimed New York had only been able to properly carry out 32 tests so far. 

'We hear it's coming very soon but I'm here to tell you that at one of the busiest hospitals in the country, I don't have it at my finger tips. I still have to call the department of health, I still have to make my case and plead to test people,' he said. 

'This is not good. We know that there are 88 cases in the United States. There are going to hundreds by middle week, there's going to be thousands by next week. This is a testing issue. 

America making a real balls of it. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

340 new cases in Italy total now 2,036 with 52 deaths

That’s horrific . Absolutely shocking . Will we ever find out really what caused that huge number of cases which appeared rapidly .

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

You get your shopping put it on the conveyor belt at the cash desk ,  so that’s now come into contact with a surface that’s likely had hundreds of people touch it .

You go home wash your hands , put your shopping away , you’ve now possibly touched the virus , then you wash your hands again . Then you pop along grab a packets of crisps which were on the conveyor belt , could have touched the virus . You start munching cross contaminating your hands at the same time you’ve contaminated the crisps which you’ve just eaten .

And on it goes ! 

And what do you do to counteract the problem.  Hibernate?

• Like 3