Novel Coronavirus – China

10 minutes ago, Snipper said:

About 9 million population

And of all the countries bordering (and including) Tajikistan, I think China would be the safest place to be lol

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can I just say huge credit to all those in here who have talked so openly and bravely  about issues that often don’t get discussed in these types of forums . And also to thank all the members who

Okay, there appears to be a couple of ideas circulating on the forum which people may be getting carried away with? I understand why people are running with them, because it creates the idea that

Can we drop the conspiracy and misinformation type stuff in here please - we all have a responsibility not to spread that kind of thing, as well as the virus. In the real world, wash your hands!

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

'That' hotel in Tenerife. Some of the Brit guests that were there when the Italian guests were diagnosed, were flown home by Tui last night. Jet2 customers will come home today.

Interesting that no one else caught it (if testing is correct, of course) in that hotel.

Does this indicate some experts' view that the virus will struggle to survive for long in warmer temps? Thoughts?

Maybe, which would obviously be good news.

How many Italian guests were actually diagnosed? Possible that it simply means it was caught early enough there before it was spread to other guests?

• Like 2

From the head of the WHO just now;

15:50

'A unique virus' - WHO chief

The head of the World Health Organization (WHO), Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, says the new coronavirus "is a unique virus with unique features".

"This virus is not influenza. We have never before seen a pathogen that can transfer between individuals [so easily]."

"Containment of Covid-19 must remain the top priority for all countries," he says, adding that governments have "no choice but to act now".

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, fujita5 said:

The head of the World Health Organization (WHO), Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, says the new coronavirus "is a unique virus with unique features".

"This virus is not influenza. We have never before seen a pathogen that can transfer between individuals [so easily]."

"Containment of Covid-19 must remain the top priority for all countries," he says, adding that governments have "no choice but to act now".

That sounds rather ominous . If it’s not passed in the normal way with most transmission by either larger droplets from coughs or sneezes or alternatively surface transmission then that’s a major escalation. If the implication is people can transmit it by simple breathing next to someone then that’s awful .

• Like 3
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

That sounds rather ominous . If it’s not passed in the normal way with most transmission by either larger droplets from coughs or sneezes or alternatively surface transmission then that’s a major escalation. If the implication is people can transmit it by simple breathing next to someone then that’s awful .

Not sure what that means.  It certainly doesn't sound good!

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, swebby said:

Maybe, which would obviously be good news.

How many Italian guests were actually diagnosed? Possible that it simply means it was caught early enough there before it was spread to other guests?

Maybe, but then again reports and pictures last week from the hotel, indicated it wasnt exactly controlled quarantine.

The warm weather 'theory' may be true; a professor on itv this morning said he thought it will die down during late Spring and Summer, but he is increasingly of the opinion that it will re-appear next late Autumn/Winter, just like seasonal flu. Oh joy!

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, fujita5 said:

Not sure that is what was said

1 hour ago, Bristle boy said:

Ocado reporting that certain goods are being heavily bought, likely stockpiling; one of them is bottled water!

Why would anyone stockpile bottled water?

Are these people worried their tap water will get infected, somehow?! Bizarre!

Not just Ocado. A friend works for a supermarket and the number of items ordered online over the weekend is double that of the same time last year. 

They have also had several people going into store asking for cases of hand sanitizers and hand wipes - of which they’ve already sold out of anyway. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Snipper said:

Not sure that is what was said

No it's not massively clear is it.  Would probably help if this was clarified by the WHO in terms of how they're saying it spreads.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, fujita5 said:

I think they need to be more explicit as to how they’ve come to this conclusion . But of course on the other hand if it’s the case that transmission can occur more easily then panic could really break out amongst the public .

But once the head of WHO has made those comments he’s really likely to cause panic anyway !

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, fujita5 said:

No it's not massively clear is it.  Would probably help if this was clarified by the WHO in terms of how they're saying it spreads.

They have already:

People can catch COVID-19 from others who have the virus. The disease can spread from person to person through small droplets from the nose or mouth which are spread when a person with COVID-19 coughs or exhales. These droplets land on objects and surfaces around the person. Other people then catch COVID-19 by touching these objects or surfaces, then touching their eyes, nose or mouth. People can also catch COVID-19 if they breathe in droplets from a person with COVID-19 who coughs out or exhales droplets. This is why it is important to stay more than 1 meter (3 feet) away from a person who is sick.

WHO is assessing ongoing research on the ways COVID-19 is spread and will continue to share updated findings.    

From this page:

gettyimages-1181575980.tmb-1200v.jpg?Cul
WWW.WHO.INT

WHO is continuously monitoring and responding to this outbreak. This Q&A will be updated as more is known about COVID-19, how it spreads and how it is affecting people worldwide. For more...

Not to say they won't change that, as it mentions above. But in the meantime it's probably better not to read between the lines of what someone is saying to draw different conclusions, as quite often 2+2=5 when doing that sort of thing. 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 3
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

I think they need to be more explicit as to how they’ve come to this conclusion . But of course on the other hand if it’s the case that transmission can occur more easily then panic could really break out amongst the public .

But once the head of WHO has made those comments he’s really likely to cause panic anyway !

I wonder if he is referring to the report that it contains a "furin cleavage site" and this has then been lost in translation?  I.e that it is unusual for coronaviruses?

3 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

Maybe we should stop kissing the belarny stone then in Ireland, I probably spelt that wrong sorry. Surely a similar type of tradition. 

"Blarney", but you're forgiven! It's very difficult with "le bise" over here in France because it's almost like an automatic reaction and I often give my less "on the ball" folks a kiss on the head or face when I arrive or leave. Human to human emotional contact when you are dealing with vulnerable people who you dearly like is very difficult to avoid. Holding a hand when someone is distressed is the most natural thing in the world.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I think the method of transmission is similar to that of influenza. The thing that makes it different to influenza is the following:

. A huge percentage of cases are asymptomatic so people go about their business while spreading it to others.

. You are infectious in the incubation stage of the virus  and this virus has a long incubation period. The average incubation period is 7 days and you can be infectious as early as 12 hours after first catching the disease so again that's a good 6 days where you're feeling fine and going on as normal before you're detected and isolated from the public.

My memory's not great on influenza but I believe there are asymptomatic cases, but not as many as covid19 and there is some infectivity between first catching the disease and onset of symptoms, but only for 1 or 2 days, not 6.

Edited by Snowy L
  • Like 4
5 minutes ago, Paul said:

They have already:

From this page:

gettyimages-1181575980.tmb-1200v.jpg?Cul
WWW.WHO.INT

WHO is continuously monitoring and responding to this outbreak. This Q&A will be updated as more is known about COVID-19, how it spreads and how it is affecting...

Not to say they won't change that, as it mentions above, but in the meantime it's probably better not to read between the lines of what someone is saying as quite 2+2=5 when doing that sort of thing. 

The thing is Paul, that transmission is very similar to what you’d expect with flu so why would the chief of WHO come out with comments that suggest it’s more easier to transmit than flu .

PS many thanks Snowy L for your reply and that info.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

It was made clear that no one scenario fits all. Not in China nor elsewhere. Draconian measure in one area in China where it started and other areas much less rigorous, which is being seen in other parts of the world. 

• Like 2

This virus does seem to be easily tranmissable and therefore it could eventually spread to all parts of the globe and affect many millions of people.  But has it affected you yet?  I wonder if people are thinking twice about booking holidays in Italy, for example, or even other European countries which are also affected.  Are you perhaps thinking of cancelling some future travel arrangements?  How will the airports respond in Europe if many more thousands of people catch the virus?  Would you wear a face mask in public given that they are pretty ineffective?  There are inevitably reports of people stockpiling food which seems ridiculous now, but what if food supplies are affected because thousands of people have to take time off work?  Personally I believe that pretty soon it will be in every part of the UK and there is nothing we can do about it except maintain personal hygiene and hope we don't catch it...... 

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Would explain the cruise ship, this way it could have easily used the air conditioning to infect everyone. 

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, fujita5 said:

Perhaps they mean it's much more infectious like chicken pox/measles compared to normal colds/flus

Fantastic news. Not 

Edited by Donegal
  • Like 3
13 minutes ago, saint said:

Not just Ocado. A friend works for a supermarket and the number of items ordered online over the weekend is double that of the same time last year. 

They have also had several people going into store asking for cases of hand sanitizers and hand wipes - of which they’ve already sold out of anyway. 

Ci have medical grade at home due to having to use it, comes on prescription, well complimentary with it. 

12 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The thing is Paul, that transmission is very similar to what you’d expect with flu so why would the chief of WHO come out with comments that suggest it’s more easier to transmit than flu .

There are numerous reasons I'd imagine - maybe it's because (based on their faq's linked above) it lasts from a few hours to a few days on surfaces. Whereas flu is about 24 hours tops I believe. Maybe it's related to the viral load count in droplets for some people. Maybe it's that people can still spread it when their symptoms are very mild, which increases risk as they may not be aware they have an illness at that point (again using info from their faq's). 

Without more information from them (which I'm sure will be forthcoming at some point), it's all conjecture though. But there's nothing in what he's said or the advice given by the WHO, NHS etc that suggests it's not spread mostly by droplets at this point.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 3
4 minutes ago, Paul said:

There are numerous reasons I'd imagine - maybe it's because (based on their faq's linked above) it lasts from a few hours to a few days on surfaces. Whereas flu is about 24 hours tops I believe. Maybe it's related to the viral load count in droplets for some people. Maybe it's that people can still spread it when their symptoms are very mild, which increases risk as they may not be aware they have an illness at that point (again using info from their faq's). 

Without more information from them (which I'm sure will be forthcoming at some point), it's all conjecture though. But there's nothing in what he's said or the advice given by the WHO, NHS etc that suggests it's not spread mostly by droplets at this point.

just seen this:

The public is being urged to clean their smartphone screens with alcohol wipes twice a day to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus. 

Covid-19, which has infected almost 80,000 people globally, has the ability to lurk on the flat surface for almost a week unless its disinfected, researchers have claimed. 

Oh lord!

• Like 4

Personally, I think these comments from WHO people are picking up on, are blown way out of proportion.

I listened to the live press conference, and he said those comments calmly, and almost off the cuff sorta thing. It looks and sounds so much worse when a news outlet or twitter post or something paraphrases comments like that.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

My memory's not great on influenza but I believe there are asymptomatic cases, but not as many as covid19 and there is some infectivity between first catching the disease and onset of symptoms, but only for 1 or 2 days, not 6.

I think I may have possibly been asymptomatic with the flu that was going around at Christmas, my niece and nephew both came down with it from their school, my sister and her fiancé then came down with it, my mother (who had had the jab) then was helping out looking after the kids and she came down with it (ended up with pneumonia and is still having problems with a persistent cough even now), she passed it onto her friends and boyfriend, and then there was me, not even a sniffle.  I was on a training course at the time and all the people on the course started to come down with it, but again I was perfectly fine.

Strangely enough though I haven't had flu for about 4/5 years now (figured I was due to get it this year at least) but the last one I did have was a right doozy, mother had to help me out of bed (and to stand and walk straight) just to go to the loo.  Hope I never get one like that again

Edited by Ryukai
  • Like 4