Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
38 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

My bets wishes to you matey , you are doing the right thing.

Cheers.

A couple from my kids school came back from Venice a couple of weeks back and my kid was off school last week with cold symptoms.

Do, you never know.

• Like 1

Posted

Without trawling through the archives  when was the last time  such a pandemic as happened  which as caused so much    disruption in regard to movement etc.

Posted
48 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Well, I'm self isolated.

Woke up this morning with sore throat, blocked nose and slight headache.

Taking no chances going to work.

Hope you get better v soon. I've sent hubby to pharmacy to get me throat sweets, pick up asthma sprays and grab boxes of tissues

Posted
5 minutes ago, pip22 said:

Not a good sign.

No it certainly isn't, the person will have come into contact with lots of unaware people.

As an aside Mardid has it bad  why did someone think it was OK to bring 3000 people from the city into Liverpool?

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Without trawling through the archives  when was the last time  such a pandemic as happened  which as caused so much    disruption in regard to movement etc.

I'm really not sure there has ever been a pandemic quite like this, even the Spanish Flu, mainly because our technology is so more advanced and we are living in such a different world.

Not surprised by the field hospitals in Spain, they are rapidly heading the same direction Italy has gone before them.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

No it certainly isn't, the person will have come into contact with lots of unaware people.

As an aside Mardid has it bad  why did someone think it was OK to bring 3000 people from the city into Liverpool?

I think the problem is until Saturday Spain really wasn't any more risk than we are at now. Things took a very rapid change and I think it has just caught the authorities flat footed. Hopefully we get through it ok, but I'd be somewhat surprised if at least one of them didn't have the virus.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, mountain shadow said:

Interestingly,  I notice more folk posting on here reporting cold/flu symptoms?

Coincidence?

I just got it yesterday.. started with a slight fever. I'm not saying I have coronavirus .. I just call it flu unless I start having trouble breathing.. then I'll call 111 if so

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

From the journalists on twitter, it sounds like the UK's delay phase will focus on the elderly/vulnerable and will not include any disruption to schools/large events.

So we're on our own. Almost every other country has/is imposing much stricter measures. 

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Stabilo19 said:

From the journalists on twitter, it sounds like the UK's delay phase will focus on the elderly/vulnerable and will not include any disruption to schools/large events.

So we're on our own. Almost every other country has/is imposing much stricter measures. 

I think the schools will close at some point soon, but for now the main focus is rightly on limiting the risk to the elderly. I'd also suggest we really do need to stop these large events from happening, otherwise we are a ticking time bomb.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

We have to trust the professionals but i will scream at the TV if Boris at the very least doesnt not ban large gatherings.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Following the green?.

Posted
10 minutes ago, Jhonny147 said:

I just got it yesterday.. started with a slight fever. I'm not saying I have coronavirus .. I just call it flu unless I start having trouble breathing.. then I'll call 111 if so

Yeh. I'm monitoring my temperature.  If it hits 40 I'll call 111.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
9 minutes ago, Jhonny147 said:

Problem is though - Flu can sometimes give you breathing problems, Coronavirus doesn't always give you breathing problems or can be very mild and not be noticed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

Express at it again...

Actually i think it is possible though that it was genetically engineered.

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Problem is though - Flu can sometimes give you breathing problems, Coronavirus doesn't always give you breathing problems or can be very mild and not be noticed.

You are right. That is why I'm self isolating just in case, plus I don't want people catching my 'flu'

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Breaking: Iran have reported 1075 new cases and 75 new deaths in the past 24 hours

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
24 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Never happened before. This is the first such pandemic in the globalised era.

A mention on the Spanish being "caught flat-footed". Absolutely no government should have been caught flat-footed after the experience of Italy. Any sensible government with around 500 confirmed cases plus 10 deaths should be working on the assumption there are 10,000 to 30,000 actual cases now with 500 to 1000 deaths to come in the next 10 days - and respond to that assumption, not the confirmed cases.

The priority right now should be to do everything possible to ensure the NHS is not going to be overwhelmed in 10 days time. Get working on the extra hospital places now (I really hope they are). A very good analysis I read on here last night argued, countries with sufficient health care in place are likely to end up with a death rate of under 1%, but countries with an overwhelmed health service may have a death rate of 3% to 5%. Doing whatever possible to keep the death rate down is probably going to be the protection to the economy in the long run, anyway.

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

I was curious about what the differences in the proportions of the population infected are. So I put this map together this morning, I think it's mostly accurate!

The top 3 are Iceland at 0.028%, Italy at 0.021% and South Korea at 0.015%. China, with nearly 81,000 cases, has a rate of just 0.0058% Interestingly, if China had the same proportion of infections as Iceland currently does, it would equal roughly 392,000 infections.

COVID19_12_3_10amV1.thumb.png.dc4b1e871ae024a94fd8012a6a054160.png

Edited by BornFromTheVoid
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
14 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Interestingly,  I notice more folk posting on here reporting cold/flu symptoms?

Coincidence?

I've had an upper respiratory tract infection since Sunday and several others in my workplace have the same. The symptoms don't exactly match the ones reported for coronavirus so seems unlikely but it's a big coincidence! (for context, I live in N London and travel on the tube into central everyday).

• Like 1